PDA

View Full Version : Who do you trust more??

SkubeBats
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a question for you all. I was wondering if you were to go buy some game used equipment that was authenticated already what authenticator would you trust more. Would it be MLB authentication, MEARS or PSA/DNA?

My answer would be MLB authentication all day long. The reason I would buy something authenticated by them is that their right at the game and they get to see the items used by the players. Yes, I know they have some problems every once in a while but so do the other guys. The reason I wouldn't choose MEARS or PSA/DNA is because their just giving you their opinion on the items. They didn't see it used in a game first hand and their using bat records that are in some cases incomplete and you don't know for sure if the players used it themself or a teammate might have used it.

Also why would you pay someone to authenticate your items when you could do the reaserch yourself and save some money by doing so.

WadeInBmore
12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I personally trust myself an listen to the opinions of other collectors. While MLB is almost fail proof...they do have issues. As discussed on this site not all holograms end up in the system, item descriptions an be vague and misleading, and lastly they have to SEE it used in order to label it game used. Countless number of MLB authenticated jerseys have left teams like the Jays labelled a issued by the Mlb while exhibiting good wear from game use.

I tend to consider MLB authentication as a sign of legit origin, but take the issue, worn, ready labelling lightly. I have a couple of jerseys that come up as issued despite what you can clearly see as use. This discrepency can make resale difficult...buyer wants to buy it as issued while the seller will want to sell as game used.

I can understand havin items authenticated much like people have baseball cards graded. It takes the guess work out of an item. And also some collectors like to have as much documentation as possible to support their own feelings and to create the provenance if none already exhists. Plus, authenticating an item probably carries additional value to the item (IMO) due to the fees associated with and is also good record for insurance purposes when determining a value for loss and replacement.

Be it Mears, an accompanying loa/coa, 100% authentic team, or even MLB the buyer or collector might need that extra bit of comfort if they are going to spend a healthy chunk of change on. In my experiences buyers, me included, look for that sure thing that confirms the item is what we want it to be...that's the one thing about collecting is that perseption of the item plays a big part.

I do have one other issue about authentication though, an that lies in the fact that they are providing a service and it's in their best interests to give you that great review that you just paid $100 for. In other words, I would imagine that by declaring an item as legit and issuing a letter of opinion they will most likely get repeat authentication business from a collector. I'm not saying tht any authenticator that I know of or have mentioned are doing this, but I am acknowelding what I see as a conflict of interest (and this lies in other industries as well).

I always trust my own eyes and The Absolutes. Opinions of other collectors are also a good resource since it's the collectors that create the market and buy items. Other opinions of collectors can also be laced with bias and filled with flaws such as human emotion like envy, predetermined opinion based on past experiences, and excitement.

Sorry to rant and rave. Hope that makes sense (I'm typing this on my iPhone and can't really spell check). Happy collecting.

Wade