PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Ron Santo

Vintagedeputy
12-03-2010, 08:33 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/12/report-cubs-legend-ron-santo-dead-at-70/1

helluva player....too bad the HOF didnt recognize him

legaleagle92481
12-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Why he is not in is one of the Hall's great mysteries if you look at some of the guys who are in they could not carry his jockstrap. The reason is only because they don't want to put four guys in from a Cubs era that was so fruitless. That makes no sense because four players do not make a team and deserving guys should get in regardless of factors like that.

trsent
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I was never a Ron Santo fan until a few years ago when I started working with him at local autograph appearances. I realized that Ron Santo was a big kid. The biggest baseball fan I had ever met. He loved The Cubs and he was very passionate with his love for baseball.

He was appreciative towards The Cubs for giving him the job working home (and some road) radio broadcasts. Ron was always upset that he didn't play his entire career with The Chicago Cubs, but I can tell you Ron respects that The Cubs had him as part of his family until his passing.

You couldn't convince me that Ron Santo deserved to be in the Hall of Fame before I met and got to know Ron. After meeting him and realizing his contributions to baseball both as part of the game and after his career as an ambassador to the sport, Ron Santo is 100% a Hall of Famer in my book.

sox83cubs84
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
In the days when access to players at Wrigley Field wasn't yet more restricted than a prison camp, Santo and I used to exchange stories about our health situations...he with his diabetes and I with my kidney failure (since corrected twice via transplants).

If I wasn't so far in debt, I'd head out to attend the wake.

Dave Miedema