PDA

View Full Version : Who actually KNOWS the rules?

AutographAddiction
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
So we all know what happened to AJ Green when he sold his Georgia jersey for $1000 and ended up being suspended by the NCAA.

It is quite clear that current players cannot sell their jerseys for their own profit, I know that.

But what about FORMER players from colleges?

Every player gets to keep shoes, jerseys, etc from the season. And after 4 seasons at a college they can rack up a lot of extra shoes and jerseys from the school they attended.

So here is my question:

Is there any NCAA violation concerning FORMER players selling jerseys/equipment that they were allowed to keep from their time at the college???

Thanks, I know there was another thread about this but I couldn't get any definitive answers out of it. Can anyone find the ACTUAL RULES from the NCAA?

Thanks!!!

trsent
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
So we all know what happened to AJ Green when he sold his Georgia jersey for $1000 and ended up being suspended by the NCAA.

It is quite clear that current players cannot sell their jerseys for their own profit, I know that.

Every player gets to keep shoes, jerseys, etc from the season. And after 4 seasons at a college they can rack up a lot of extra shoes and jerseys from the school they attended.

So here is my question:

Is there any NCAA violation concerning FORMER players selling jerseys/equipment that they were allowed to keep from their time at the college???

Thanks, I know there was another thread about this but I couldn't get any definitive answers out of it. Can anyone find the ACTUAL RULES from the NCAA?

Thanks!!!

I just curious why you think players get to keep jerseys? Most teams require all jerseys to be returned to the team. I'm sure players get a jersey here or there, but I don't think the jersey is the player's property on most teams, college or professional.

perlman9
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I know several players, and they get to keep a jersey a year and then both their senior jerseys (and bowl jersey if they went) if they so choose. Many will sign and donate a jersey to the schools athletic program, too. Everything else is property of the team. However, as far as I know, once a player has no eligibility left, they are allowed to sell their jerseys. The rule is for a student athlete, but once their eligibility is up, that rule does not apply. But players do get to keep one jersey each year and I believe they get their helmet their senior year as well. Each school may be different, though. For example, many players give their jerseys to family, their high school coach, etc. I also know players are able to purchase their rivalry week uniforms if they so choose, at least at many schools, for the cost and again, the rule of student athlete would apply I would assume.

AutographAddiction
12-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Some schools let them keep them, others don't. But many of the bigger, popular schools will let the player keep some of their jerseys after the season. Especially if they are changing jersey style or something like that. Just assumptions of how and why they keep them.

But I have talked to many former players who have tons of shoes and jerseys from their college days. So I know for sure. I just don't know if there are NCAA violations for them selling them once they are gone from the University.

AutographAddiction
12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I know several players, and they get to keep a jersey a year and then both their senior jerseys (and bowl jersey if they went) if they so choose. Many will sign and donate a jersey to the schools athletic program, too. Everything else is property of the team. However, as far as I know, once a player has no eligibility left, they are allowed to sell their jerseys. The rule is for a student athlete, but once their eligibility is up, that rule does not apply. But players do get to keep one jersey each year and I believe they get their helmet their senior year as well. Each school may be different, though. For example, many players give their jerseys to family, their high school coach, etc. I also know players are able to purchase their rivalry week uniforms if they so choose, at least at many schools, for the cost and again, the rule of student athlete would apply I would assume.

Thanks, that is what I have always thought as well. As I have had players I've known try to sell their jerseys and it makes logical sense that once the player is no longer a student-athlete, he can sell the jersey. But, I had a player think it was a NCAA violation to do sell the stuff that was kept from his college days. So really, I'm trying to find some evidence in NCAA rules that clarifies it is only student-athletes that cannot sell the Jerseys.

OaklandAsFan
12-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I really don't see how the NCAA can do anything about it once they are no longer student athletes. They are no longer under and contract or control of the NCAA at that point and things should be fair game.

legaleagle92481
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM

So here is my question:

Thanks!!!

Defintely no violation if sold to a nonagent. Suh sold more than one of his to JO and Weatherspoon, the falcons first rounder did the same. Obviously JO is not a player agent so it was perfectly legal. What Green did was sell it to an agent so I don't know if the rule is different.

trsent
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
But it is ok for a player's father, behind the child's back, to try to sell their son to the highest bidder, correct, just as long as the player doesn't know about it.

Someone should explain that to the kids playing for USC this year who are being punished for Reggie Bush's actions.