PDA

View Full Version : MCGWIRE 1996 Mears "5" Jersey on EBAY HELP I got ??"S

panthrotc
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Can some one explain why a jersey like this would receieve only a 5? what about the photo math mentioned in the description about the jersey being photomatched? I checked the image in ghetty's site and you really cant tell. But how is grade a 5 received? does that mean theres not much use? any input on this is greatly appreciated.

eBay: 1996 MARK McGWIRE GAME USED SIGNED JERSEY ATHLETICS COA (item 220014120882 end time Aug-11-06 16:57:08 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220014120882&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

sammy
08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi,

The jersey itself is not photo matched, just the jersey style.

A grade of 5 means the jersey has the same attributes as a professional style jersey, but they can't say with any certainty that McGwire actually wore the jersey, or for that matter they don't even know if he has actually ever even seen that particular jersey.

There would also be minimal to very light use, if any.

Basically, all they are saying with a grade of 5 is that it is a professional style jersey, but other then that, you are on your own.

mr.miracle
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I believe if you go to MEARS website it also does have a link that explains in some detail at least what each grade means and how they reach it.

Brett

trsent
08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi,

The jersey itself is not photo matched, just the jersey style.

A grade of 5 means the jersey has the same attributes as a professional style jersey, but they can't say with any certainty that McGwire actually wore the jersey, or for that matter they don't even know if he has actually ever even seen that particular jersey.

There would also be minimal to very light use, if any.

Basically, all they are saying with a grade of 5 is that it is a professional style jersey, but other then that, you are on your own.

I do not believe anywhere MEARS states that an A5 jersey will have "minimal to very light use" as any modern era jersey that is submitted to them without a letter from the team or player will receive an A5 if it is properly tagged. The use for such a classification is not part of the grade as it is so hard to prove game use on a modern day item such as the jersey in question.

sammy
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Joel,

Let me quote from MEAR's website:

A5........... The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy..........

For jersey's assigned the A5 grade, use and wear will be described, but not verified.

On a personal note, you don't have to argue with everyone about everything.

trsent
08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Joel,

Let me quote from MEAR's website:

A5........... The degree of wear will be measured from minimal to heavy..........

For jersey's assigned the A5 grade, use and wear will be described, but not verified.

On a personal note, you don't have to argue with everyone about everything.

How am I auguring about anything? I mentioned that your comment was off because you stated "There would also be minimal to very light use, if any". This statement was incorrect, as you corrected yourself above that the wear can be "minimal to heavy".

You need to chill out. I am allowed to chime in a discussion with my views, I am not looking for arguments. Discussions help a person determine if their concerns are addressed.

Anything else?

sammy
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi Joel,

Talk about chilling out, you could use some of your own advice on many days and many posts.

To quote you " The use for such a classification is not part of the grade..."

Obviously since I quoted directly from the MEAR's website concerning wear being part of the A5 grade, your statement was totally incorrect.

apples and oranges

trsent
08-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Ok, so in other words, your comment that the jersey shows little or no wear because it is an A5 is not (??) incorrect because the web site states the item can show little to heavy wear.

When you assume...

I guess the point is you cannot have a discussion without throwing other issues into a conversation that have nothing to do with the discussion. My blood pressure is fine, don't assume anything about my posts having to do with how my blood pressure level is.

sammy
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Joel,

You are the most augmentative individual on this site. You pick the least little thing out of someone's post and try to bring something up or constantly defend people and companies that are bad for the hobby, but maybe good for your business.

Who cares if I didn't include the word heavy in my answer? At least I tried to give the guy some info instead of waiting for someone to post something so I could find something inconsistent, mistaken, not complete, inaccurate, or just something you don't agree with to rant about.

The guy's question was posted this morning. Basiclly as soon as I posted some info, others started to chime in. Heck, post some info on the subject instead of trying to find negative to write about.

Joel, you don't discuss. You are just a black cloud waiting to rain on someone.

Last post on this so have a good night.

nate
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Sammy you are the only person on this thread that needs to chill out. You jumped all over Joel for correcting your incorrect statement about use on an A5.

Fraudfinder!!
08-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I will agree 100% with sammy on this. Joel Albert is the most argumentive, derisive person to post on this forum. He obviously loves to "rile" people up. I debated even to post this because I truely believe that Mr. Albert loves the attention that he gets with his post. My biggest laugh is when he always says that "this will be the last post I make on this thread!" yet he just cannot help himself and will continue to post on the thread. I challenge you Mr. Albert to ignore this, I bet you can"t.

sportscentury
08-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Fraudfinder!!,

Not to change the subject (although I am happy to change the subject), do you have any interesting "finds" to report to us?

I think I speak on behalf of many of us who love and appreciate your fine work. I haven't seen you as a bidder on eBay as much these days. Given some of the blatantly bogus junk I've seen lately, I'd say there is dire need for your services!

Any good stories or interesting reports?

Best,
Reid

trsent
08-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I will agree 100% with sammy on this. Joel Albert is the most argumentive, derisive person to post on this forum. He obviously loves to "rile" people up. I debated even to post this because I truely believe that Mr. Albert loves the attention that he gets with his post. My biggest laugh is when he always says that "this will be the last post I make on this thread!" yet he just cannot help himself and will continue to post on the thread. I challenge you Mr. Albert to ignore this, I bet you can"t.

If you can't get my name right, don't bother. Also, I do not care what you believe about what I think, it is not your business. I sign my name to all my posts, any reason you don't? I am often in the right, so my knowledge must mean something to someone with all the positive emails I receive from forum members.

Sammy, sorry you feel wrong, but your post made it seem like anything with a MEARS grade of A5 showed light or no use, and I commented on your statement. Get over it, you made a blanket statement that could have been taken out of concept. I do not know why you made this a personal issue, I didn't care until you became a jerk about the discussion.

If your feelings are hurt, call a doctor. They are prescribing medicine for problems such as this like candy these days.

R. C. Walker
08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Joel Albert? The guy from the Tijuana Brass? :rolleyes:

trsent
08-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Nah, that is Herb and his name is spelled Alpert.

Fraudfinder!!
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Reid,
Thank you for you and other members appreciation of my "fine work".... Trust me, you do not have any idea of what I have done in the past. My job gives me great satisfaction in helping "victims" of ebay and other scams. While I have "trolled" ebay for obvious fruads I am really limited in the State where I reside as far as investigations. In many cities if you pay for an item and do not receive it, the local authorities will generally tell the vicim that there is nothing they can do as it is a "civil" matter. I do my best to work and investigate these complaints. There are many in the small city where I work. I have worked with ebay on several fraud investigation and they are excellent believe it or not. There is great satisfaction in showing up at someone's door with an arrest or search warrant selling obvious bogus stuff. It is not just sports items but a multitude of items. Trust me on this.

The real "fraudfinder!!" is certainly not me. I have a keen interest in the hobby however I am no expert. The real "fruadfinders!!" are guys like yourself, sammy, Howard and a list of others that are to long to mention. Your work is appreciated.

Mr. Alpert,
I apoligize for incorrectly spelling your name wrong. I stand by my opinion however. You are no doubt a wealth of knowledge. I have never disputed that. It is the way you come across in some of you posts that can be bothersome. In my opinion you would be taken much more seriousy if you tone down some of post. You are right, it really is none of my business so I will shut up in the future! Take care.

trsent
08-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Mr. Alpert,
I apoligize for incorrectly spelling your name wrong. I stand by my opinion however. You are no doubt a wealth of knowledge. I have never disputed that. It is the way you come across in some of you posts that can be bothersome. In my opinion you would be taken much more seriousy if you tone down some of post. You are right, it really is none of my business so I will shut up in the future! Take care.

No problem, this issue here with Sammy is because I clarified a point from his original post and he lost it with me over it. I am not looking for trouble, and as you can see I have not commented on the Larry Bird jersey in Grey Flannel's current auction yet though I know the truth.

In other words, I am not as interested anymore in every topic.

Now, if you ever want to debate the history of modern baseball sluggers with me we can have a really good debate as the past has shown.

both-teams-played-hard
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I am not looking for trouble, and as you can see I have not commented on the Larry Bird jersey in Grey Flannel's current auction yet though I know the truth.

Joel
Why don't you email Grey Flannel and inform them of the truth. If Grey Flannel has blocked your email address, let me know I will be the middle man and try to help you out. I just want to work out all of these issues. Joel, I just want to be a nice guy and help this forum out.

trsent
08-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Joel
Why don't you email Grey Flannel and inform them of the truth. If Grey Flannel has blocked your email address, let me know I will be the middle man and try to help you out. I just want to work out all of these issues. Joel, I just want to be a nice guy and help this forum out.

What are you talking about?

There is no issues, people are assuming without any proof about an item that they are wrong about, but I am not getting involved with Grey Flannel issues anymore. Howard can have a field day with them at this time. Grey Flannel knows all about the Larry Bird jersey in discussion and the assumptions on this forum are incorrect but I kept quiet because I am trying real hard...

Did someone block my email address from something because I have not had any email returned from anywhere?