PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to tell if...

rangersfan1214
11-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Is there any ways to tell if a bat is used during batting practice?

kylehess10
11-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Some teams used to use green-ink practice baseballs which transfered to bats fairly easy. Most teams today use regular blue-ink baseballs but under the MLB logo it says "PRACTICE". I've seen a few bats with the transfer of that part of the ball.

Also, consistent ball marks in a general area is a sign of BP use. And some players use different bats in BP (sort of like how A-Rod uses blonde bats in BP and black bats in games).

yankees506
11-26-2010, 11:17 PM
i look for many white ball marks, bp balls are not rubbed up with mud so they leave distinct white marks, game balls usually only leave seam marks

rangersfan1214
11-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh. I have a Mitch Moreland bat in which is hammered on one side with seam marks. I thought maybe it was bp bat and game bat but around the seam marks there are no ball marks? So is this common?

Manram
11-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Seam marks don't happen from bp only with guys throwing 90 or whatever

rangersfan1214
11-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Ok. Thanks you guys! I bet most rookies and young players such as Moreland use the same bat in BP than in the game

mariner_gamers
11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Make sure you view as many photos of the players you collect as possible. The bat manufacturer, coating requested by the player, player prefences regarding BP vs game bats, the way the player swings all differ greatly and affect how the bats look. I have take BP tape off a few bats only to find MLB logo ball marks beneath the BP tape. My Richie Sexson game bats are all covered in white ball marks and so are most of the bats he is pictured with in MLB games. My Griffey bats are not covered in white marks nor are most of the bats in his MLB pics. Get to know the characteristics of the players in your collection and you will be able to spot legit game bats in a minute.

subway22
11-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Seam marks don't happen from bp only with guys throwing 90 or whatever

Thats not entirely true. Just like when someone says bp bats dont crack. I saw Hamilton this year break a bat in half during bp. Pretty sure he can leave seam marks on a bat as well.

Manram
11-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Thats not entirely true. Just like when someone says bp bats dont crack. I saw Hamilton this year break a bat in half during bp. Pretty sure he can leave seam marks on a bat as well.

No they dont. Sometimes you see a seam mark inside of a ball mark if that makes any sense. But an actual impression into the barrel only happens in games. And ya i know people crack/break bats in bp. Bryce Harper broke two during the aflac all american game.

Manram
11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
No they dont. Sometimes you see a seam mark inside of a ball mark if that makes any sense. But an actual impression into the barrel only happens in games. And ya i know people crack/break bats in bp. Bryce Harper broke two during the aflac all american game.

Broke 2 during aflac all american bp meant to say

lakeerie92
11-27-2010, 03:34 PM

You can easily get only seam marks in bp. The ball doesn't have to travel fast for you to get seam marks. I go to the ball fields and toss balls in the air and hit them and my bat is covered with seam marks.