PDA

View Full Version : Collect.com lot 526: Questionable MJ Sox jersey

sox83cubs84
11-23-2010, 09:32 PM
This item sports multiple red flags that decry its "game-used description". The most obvious is that the White Sox wore nothing but BP jerseys in 1994 spring play. Also problematic is the lack of extra length (s/b 2 inches) and the design of the strip tag...normal 1994 White Sox Russell jerseys have a three line tail strip tag:

Line 1: Uniform number (45)
Line 2: Name (JORDAN, although some were misspelled JORDON).
Line 3: Size+extra length-year (46+2-94).

A look at the proper tagging and size for an MJ Russell gamer was gleaned from a photo of an item in Howard Wolf's collection he emailed me. If I knew how to cut and paste, I'd share it here.

MJ NEVER wore a Russell game jersey in a White Sox regular season event. The only time he played on an MLB field was an early April exhibition at Wrigley Field against the Cubs. In it, he wore a black Wilson jersey while his teammates all wore Russell. His jersey from that game bore no 125th Anniversary sleeve patch.

Finally, three guesses who did the authentication on this jersey (and the first two don't count).;)

Dave Miedema

platinum1
11-24-2010, 12:10 AM
This item sports multiple red flags that decry its "game-used description". The most obvious is that the White Sox wore nothing but BP jerseys in 1994 spring play. Also problematic is the lack of extra length (s/b 2 inches) and the design of the strip tag...normal 1994 White Sox Russell jerseys have a three line tail strip tag:

Line 1: Uniform number (45)
Line 2: Name (JORDAN, although some were misspelled JORDON).
Line 3: Size+extra length-year (46+2-94).

A look at the proper tagging and size for an MJ Russell gamer was gleaned from a photo of an item in Howard Wolf's collection he emailed me. If I knew how to cut and paste, I'd share it here.

MJ NEVER wore a Russell game jersey in a White Sox regular season event. The only time he played on an MLB field was an early April exhibition at Wrigley Field against the Cubs. In it, he wore a black Wilson jersey while his teammates all wore Russell. His jersey from that game bore no 125th Anniversary sleeve patch.

Finally, three guesses who did the authentication on this jersey (and the first two don't count).;)

Dave Miedema

Renowned Jersey Authenticator
Lou Lampson!!!

sox83cubs84
11-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't put one over on you, can I, Edgar?:p

Dave Miedema

blades3
12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Guys, thanks for your input on this item. I will pull it from the auction asap. As always, I appreciate the feedback, whether it's good or bad.