PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if PSA went out of business?

Mulligans
11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Have you ever thought of what might happen if a company like PSA or similar company went out of business?

I think that it could have a devestating effect on the hobby and our ability to authenticate many of our items.

Some of the smaller ones have disappeared over the years, but what about one of the big companies?

If the database were to disappear where would we be?

It could definitely create an interesting dilemma.....and please don't tell me they could never go out of business and the database will always survive.......:)

perlman9
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Good question. I have a few jerseys with Prova tagging and not sure where to look. Seems like could lend to issued jerseys being sold as worn. Not sure if the database ends up public somewhere or not...

Fnazxc0114
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
The only thing i have authenticated by psa is some presidential auto's. If they went out of business it wouldnt affect me much. I kind of put this particular if along the same lines that If my aunt would have had a set of balls it would of made her my uncle.

xpress34
11-19-2010, 01:20 AM
If my aunt would have had a set of balls it would of made her my uncle.
LMFAO!!!

trsent
11-19-2010, 01:21 AM
I kind of put this particular if along the same lines that If my aunt would have had a set of balls it would of made her my uncle.

How could your aunt become your uncle? Then what would that make your uncle who is currently your uncle? This quote always confuses me.

I don't see any of the big current players going under. It looks like Upper Deck is back close to being positive, and from what I understand they were the last to be close to be going under.

PSA is part of Collector's Universe, which has PSA, PSA/DNA, PCGS and PCGS Currency. I think their sports division is a small part of their business compared to their coin division.

xpress34
11-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Now that I have calmed my laughter from Fnazxc0114's post...

I'm not sure it would have that big of an effect. Ever one of the authenticators have been shown to make the same mistakes that many amateurs make and I think with sites like GUU where we have a large group of individuals who are probably better versed in what is real and what isn't than most of the authenticators, then it should all be okay.

As far as autos, there are enough pictures available on the web right now of 'authenticated pieces' from almost anyone you can imagine that you could probably build your own exemplar library pretty quickly and pretty extensively.

Just my .02

- Smitty

Fnazxc0114
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
you know trsent you make a valid point. lol but psa seems like one of those companies that would have very little overhead seeing as how atleast to my knowledge they dont realy produce anything. They may not be around forever but i think there is a huge following of psa for highend collectors, especially if you look at their set databases.

trsent
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
you know trsent you make a valid point. lol but psa seems like one of those companies that would have very little overhead seeing as how atleast to my knowledge they dont realy produce anything. They may not be around forever but i think there is a huge following of psa for highend collectors, especially if you look at their set databases.

I think their overhead is much higher than you think. Staff, travel, security, etc.

Mulligans
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
There are an awful lot of folks listed on their Web Page and I'm sure they all work for pretty good money!

What I was trying to get at is.......If they ever went out of business and the Database was gone forever (especially game used), I think it would open up a new Black Market for Game Used Memorabilia.

How tough can it be to create a bunch of numbered stickers and Cards? Without a database to look to, anyone could generate their own numbers and pass off just about anything as Game used. I'm hoping that at least the NFL has a backup list of their items.

kudu
11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I know with all the banks shutting down over the past couple years, usually a bigger bank would come along and take over all of the customers accounts and business. So maybe if PSA went down, someone like Beckett or Upper Deck would come along to take over the business/database.

Mulligans
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I doubt that......there is no value in a database and the assets are typically liquidated..