PDA

View Full Version : What would go for more in a sale? Gu /photomatched/ Auto'd helmet or Jersey?

panthrotc
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I know some prefer a jersey but i would think because helmets are more rare? Does it depend on the players calibur in the hobby? I collect Longoria and his memorabilia agent sells signed gu jerseys for 3k. I own a photomatched helmet of his that has a tone of use and i have matched to at least 4 HR's that i know of including the final HR of 09. I paid 700 for it unsigned. It came with the MLB holo and i started my research going backwards. I have since had him sign it and inscribed "2009 Gamer". Is it crazy of me to think i can quadruple what i paid for it? Someone who i talked to at a show said it would probably only go for around 1500 and i told him he was nuts. Am i the crazy one thinking i cAn get wAy more?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/2009%20Batting%20Helmet/longohelmet028.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/c266ff80.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/2009%20Batting%20Helmet/10001.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/2009%20Batting%20Helmet/evanHELMET001.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/2009%20Batting%20Helmet/evanHELMET004.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/b0b96ef9-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/c450c2cc-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/ab3ffccc.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Evan%20Longoria/Memorabilia/2009%20Batting%20Helmet/longohelmet069.jpg

legaleagle92481
11-14-2010, 11:16 PM
helmets are rarer but many more people collect jerseys so i would say the jersey would go for more due to much greater demand.

lakeerie92
11-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I think $1500 is about right. I can buy an authenticated David Wright helmet for $500 right now. The two are very similar 3rd basemen who average 30 HR 100 RBI and around a .300 BA every season. The autograph isn't going to add a ton of value to the helmet and since helmets are used for decent stints in the season a helmet by a 30 HR hitter is going to have several HRs attached to it. Players like Pujols, Jeter, Ichiro, and Mauer may pull in closer to the amount you are thinking, and in a few of those players cases even more.

panthrotc
11-14-2010, 11:34 PM
helmets are rarer but many more people collect jerseys so i would say the jersey would go for more due to much greater demand.

I can see the reasoning in that. I asked Longoria how many helmets he used in
2009 and he said he had 3 and 1 of them cracked. There is always more jerseys available but to accept a peice of equipment that for the season
Has a print run in single digits would go for less is hard to
Stomach

Fnazxc0114
11-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Id wonder how many g/u jerseys of his have been sold at 3 grand. Id say good luck getting more than a grand for it, but i have also seen crazier things happen so theres no telling.

panthrotc
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Id wonder how many g/u jerseys of his have been sold at 3 grand. Id say good luck getting more than a grand for it, but i have also seen crazier things happen so theres no telling.

considering that you NEVER see any of his GU helmets hit the market, Why would i need luck getting more then a grand for Photomatched, HR used helmet? You think it would be crazy to see my helmet go for more then a grand , I mean the guy is tied for 2nd Best 3b in the whole league behind Arod and along with Zimmerman.

legaleagle92481
11-15-2010, 01:59 AM
I can see the reasoning in that. I asked Longoria how many helmets he used in
2009 and he said he had 3 and 1 of them cracked. There is always more jerseys available but to accept a peice of equipment that for the season
Has a print run in single digits would go for less is hard to
Stomach

None of us can predict anything with certainty so if you want to find out put it on the market and see what happens. Start at over three grand and see what if any interest you get you can always lower the price later if it does not sell. If you don't mind me asking if it is worth so much how did you pick it up for only $750? (The signature will not add much to the value of the item and to some will detract therefrom). Even if you got it in 2009, Longoria's 2010 season while stellar would not cause that much of a jump in value.

skier14
11-15-2010, 02:36 AM
I own 3 Tulowitzki helmets. Two from this season, and I picked those two up just a little more (combined) than your helmet. Helmets just don't seem to get as much as a jersey does. They are rarer, so there really isn't a market for them. People outside of the hobby don't have that knowledge as well. someone who is not a collector would much more likely buy a jersey than a helmet.

Just my opinion.

Also, I would say matching it to a homer doesn't add much, as it is used for a good portion of the season, so it isnt unusual.

Fnazxc0114
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
no doubt he is good but he plays for tampa. I may be wrong but i dont see how one of his g/u jerseys would go for over a grand as well. He is a top 3rd baseman in the league but he has 0 milestones.

considering that you NEVER see any of his GU helmets hit the market, Why would i need luck getting more then a grand for Photomatched, HR used helmet? You think it would be crazy to see my helmet go for more then a grand , I mean the guy is tied for 2nd Best 3b in the whole league behind Arod and along with Zimmerman.

Fnazxc0114
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
you can look at the recent hunt auction and see where longoria rates in collectibility.

legaleagle92481
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
no doubt he is good but he plays for tampa. I may be wrong but i dont see how one of his g/u jerseys would go for over a grand as well. He is a top 3rd baseman in the league but he has 0 milestones.

I somewhat agree with you. I think an MLB Authenticated jersey could bring between $1,000 and $1,500 which is a fraction of the three grand figure quoted. For comparisons sake I know MC Sports sold MLB authenticated, signed GU bats for $500 on Ebay for a long time including this summer in fact I bought one. I base the jersey figure above on what comparable third baseman like Wright and Chipper sell for. Arod sells for much more because he is a 3 time MVP, has 600 plus homers and plays for the Yanks. Other than the Yankees and Phils precious few players' jerseys will top two grand including most superstars other than the uber popular rare (collectibles wise) guys like Pujols and Mauer who are much more accompolished than Longoria.

panthrotc
11-17-2010, 01:28 AM
None of us can predict anything with certainty so if you want to find out put it on the market and see what happens. Start at over three grand and see what if any interest you get you can always lower the price later if it does not sell. If you don't mind me asking if it is worth so much how did you pick it up for only $750? (The signature will not add much to the value of the item and to some will detract therefrom). Even if you got it in 2009, Longoria's 2010 season while stellar would not cause that much of a jump in value.

I purchased the helmet for 700$ unsigned from lelands auction house at the national back in august. It had the mlb holo so i knew it was legit. They were selling items on the spot which i never heard of. The helmet checks out. I guess its just me but i feel helmets are undervalued. I would never sell it as he is my favorite active ballplayer. Good points throught. Thanks for the op"s guys

CollectGU
11-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Certain player's equipment have a ceiling and photmatching will only help so much. I would be shocked if the helmet went for more than $900 at auction...

Dave

mbrieve
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM
This is not against the OP. I've seen this type of back and forth on a couple of threads when it comes to determining value of an item.

The value that a particular item holds for you personally may not be equal to what the market will bare. I think all of us probably have items in our collection that we overvalue due to sentimental reasons or due to scarcity (believing if we sell it, we may not be able to find another one down the road). However, when you ask for an opinion, don't be offended when people give it to you.

Jags Fan Dan
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
This is not against the OP. I've seen this type of back and forth on a couple of threads when it comes to determining value of an item.

The value that a particular item holds for you personally may not be equal to what the market will bare. I think all of us probably have items in our collection that we overvalue due to sentimental reasons or due to scarcity (believing if we sell it, we may not be able to find another one down the road). However, when you ask for an opinion, don't be offended when people give it to you.
I agree, and I also agree with the OP that a photo matched batting helmet is definitely going to be rarer than a jersey. But rarer and more valuable dollar-wise are two different things. I would think if you got two player collectors bidding on that helmet, each one would know how rare it was and it could go for a lot. But without two player collectors going after an item, helmets will go for less than a jersey in most cases.