PDA

View Full Version : MLB authentication of champagne

coxfan
11-13-2010, 09:53 AM
In looking through Rangers' g-u authenticated items, I stumbled across a couriousity: There appear to be at least 600 entries for champagne bottles and corks used in celebrations. They run from around FJ251315 to at least FJ 251900 or so.

How can one type of item take that much space? How many bottles were there? Any ideas?

This might explain why real g-u items are so far behind, like my September 28 ball ( FJ 122246) that still isn't in.

Fnazxc0114
11-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I havent seen any of them for sale yet. That sounds like a lot of bottles, but hey theyd never been there before so maybe they went a little overboard.

Klattsy
11-13-2010, 04:13 PM
coxfan - sorry to hijack thread, but you can you please PM or email me about the Snelling bat in this thread (if it's FS):
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25169

Thanks!
Mark.

coxfan
11-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry, the bat's not for sale. It has sentimental value, both because of the teams involved ( Braves at RFK) and the time I bought it ( Also Braves at RFK, in the last series at RFK.)

I checked again and it looks like about 140 or so bottles per clinching game, plus a sim,ilar number of corks.

mlupo
11-14-2010, 03:18 AM
In looking through Rangers' g-u authenticated items, I stumbled across a couriousity: There appear to be at least 600 entries for champagne bottles and corks used in celebrations. They run from around FJ251315 to at least FJ 251900 or so.

How can one type of item take that much space? How many bottles were there? Any ideas?

This might explain why real g-u items are so far behind, like my September 28 ball ( FJ 122246) that still isn't in.

My guess would as to why there are so many is that they probably had 100 bottles each for clinching a playoff spot, winning the ALDS, and winning the ALCS...that's 300 total bottles, plus 300 corks to go with them....that's 600 items. I'm sure they figure 2-3 bottles per player everytime they celebrate. This is all just a total guess on my part though, hope that helps.

coxfan
11-14-2010, 08:26 AM
By contrast, there were 64 g-u items (mostly balls) authenticated from game 2 of the ALCS (the Rangers' first-ever home post-season win.) Those items are from FJ 251249 through FJ 251312. So I suppose a true authenticated g-u item is rarer than a champagne bottle, as it should be.

I suspect a lot of the champagne items were given to Ranger staff, which may explain their absence from the collector market. But I think that more emphasis should be given in general to prompter entries of true g-u items in the database.