PDA

View Full Version : Phillies 2010 Winter Sale?

bubbrubb25
11-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Are the phillies having a winter sale this year? I havent heard anything, anyone know anything about it?:confused:

2000mvpfan
11-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I haven't either,but the past couple of years they've had a good amount of game used at their "Christmas with the Phanatic" weekend in early December..

Joe

Chris78
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Are the phillies having a winter sale this year? I havent heard anything, anyone know anything about it?:confused:

I emailed the Phillies a few weeks ago and they told me Dec. 4th-5th.

Chris

cliffjmp33
11-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Was picking up some stuff for the kids the other day at the Clubhouse store and the woman said December 4-5. 10 a.m. - 6 not positive on end time). Phanatic lighting Christmas tree Saturday evening.

Wish I could go, but out of town with work.

bubbrubb25
11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys!

8ripken2131
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know if other teams do a winter memorabilia sale like this? Do the Orioles?

Chris78
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know if other teams do a winter memorabilia sale like this? Do the Orioles?

The Orioles have a fanfest, which includes a game used sale (Phillies have the holiday sale), along with past/present players Orioles that autograph during the day (Phillies have the Phestival during the season). I believe the 2011 fanfest will be Saturday, January 29th at the Baltimore Convention Center and it only happens once per year.

Some other teams that I am aware of a fanfest/sale that could be driving possibilities from Central/Eastern PA would include the Reds and the Pirates. I believe Redsfest 2010 is the same weekend (Fri Dec. 3rd-Sun Dec. 5th) as the Phillies Christmas sale and they have game used and past/present players signing autographs that weekend. Also, the Pirates have Piratefest which I believe is January 28th-30th, 2011 at the David Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh and this has game used and players signing.

The Nationals have Natsfest, but I do not know when this will take place.

Hope this helps.

Chris

cliffjmp33
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
If anyone is planning on heading to the Phillies sale and wouldn't mind looking for an item or two for me, could you send me a PM.

Thanks ... and really bummed I'm gonna miss this. Really wanted to bring my kids to see Santa-Phanatic

sox83cubs84
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM

The White Sox and Cubs have their fan conventions one week apart in January 2011, and, historically, both have had game-used items for sale or, in the Cubs' case, some at auction. No doubt the White Sox will have their usual excellent array of items. With the Cubs, though, no one seems sure of the distribution of game-used items there. Some team employees believe that the team sales will now only be through a Steiner booth, what with their current deal with the Cubs. Those fans used to buying common player gamers for $100 a pop are gonna feel some sticker shock when they see Steiner's prices...I expect a lot of fan grumbling this coming January.

Dave Miedema

89ASMVPBats
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
If anyone is planning to attend the Phillies event in December and wouldn't mind helping me pick up an item or two, please email me.

Thanks,
Drew
drewgetty@yahoo.com

TJordan522
11-22-2010, 01:29 AM
I will probably go to this, and while I can't make any promises, I certainly wouldn't mind keeping my eyes out for any items a forum member might want. Feel free to message me with your wants and budgets.

I have never been to one of these in the past...what types of items are usually for sale?

Chris78
11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
I will probably go to this, and while I can't make any promises, I certainly wouldn't mind keeping my eyes out for any items a forum member might want. Feel free to message me with your wants and budgets.

I have never been to one of these in the past...what types of items are usually for sale?

In terms of jerseys, some of the bigger name players offered last year would be Matt Stairs, Pedro Feliz, Chris Coste, Chad Durbin etc., and I believe they only had their batting practice jerseys ($80-100 on these names). I did not get any of these names. Do not expect Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, etc. at this. They might have some better game used bats to this nature, but I do not remember anything special last year, and they do not offer that many bats to begin with.

Just to give you an idea of some of the jerseys that I have bought in the last couple of years: Jason Jaramillo, Greg Legg, Rod Nichols, Rudy Seanez, Doug Mansolino, Brandon Watson, Wes Helms, Francisco Rosario, Dusty Wathan, Eude Brito, Julio Santana, etc. These could be batting practice or Home/Road jerseys that I bought. I have also gotten some St. Patrick's Day jerseys as well, and the quality of these players offered would be similar to above. It depends on what you want, but unless you follow the minor league affiliates very closely you probably will be disappointed.

One thing I will say on a positive note, I heard last year at this sale that the final game of the 2009 regular season the phillies had a "yard sale" event which I never heard of them doing before. At this event, I was told they had some better name players (Pat Burrell, etc.), but you had to pay cash. I did attend the final game of the 2010 regular season and I heard someone ask about this and the Phillies rep said that they were not doing that this year at the final game. Maybe they will have more available at the Holiday sale as a result.

Chris

Chris78
11-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Other things that they sell would include: media guides, yearbooks from a variety of teams, nameplates, lineup cards ($100), autographed bats (MLB auth.), autographed balls (MLB auth.), etc. Two years ago Mitch Williams signed on Sunday, last year I believe Dickie Noles signed Saturday afternoon but I did not stay. Mitch Thompson signed his CD and Chris Wheeler signed his book last year. Expect to wait in line as well for an hour or two. They did have the WS Trophy on display two years ago as well -- I do not remember last year.

Hope this helps.

Chris

cliffjmp33
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
BUMP ... Anyone going? Can't make it but wanted to see if anyone can look for 1 or 2 items for me if they are going.

Thanks!

jetersbatboy
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd also be interested in a couple of bats if someone is willing to help me out. It makes for one long drive from Hawaii:D, so I wont be going!

Jules9
12-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I went 2 years ago and I think they have a limit on how many bats you can buy. It may have been 1 or 2

sctizzle
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I went last year and there was absolutely nothing worth buying....long line waiting to get to the game used area and it was quick exit after seeing what they had. Best part was seeing the phanatic as Santa.

Scott

Chris78
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I went last year and there was absolutely nothing worth buying....long line waiting to get to the game used area and it was quick exit after seeing what they had. Best part was seeing the phanatic as Santa.

Scott

As I said above, if you have any interest in what I mentioned above then it might be worth going....otherwise, what Scott says above best describes this event.

Chris

bubbrubb25
12-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Well once again for the 3rd year in a row couldnt make it! :mad: Did anything get anything good? What was all there game used wise? Prices? Any polanco stuff?

Chris78
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Well once again for the 3rd year in a row couldnt make it! :mad: Did anything get anything good? What was all there game used wise? Prices? Any polanco stuff?

Bats were over-priced in my opinion.... They had $75 for Paul Bako, Cody Ransom, etc. Werth was $300, Greg Dobbs $175, JA Happ $175....I did not buy any game used bats as I felt they cost too much other than a mystery bat for $10 which had the player's name blotted out. They had some signed/team issued bats as well, but I did not focus that much on this area. Maybe somebody else can chip in....

Jerseys were cheaper: batting practice $30 and up, Home/Road and a few alternate were mainly $60, etc. No big names at all just spring training guys, coaches, etc. These are some of the names that I bought: Lou Marson, Sergio Escalona, Rodrigo Lopez, Jason Donald, Dave Huppert, Milt Thompson, Anthony Hewitt, Mike Cervenak, and J.J. Furmaniak. You can see the trend that all but Thompson and Hewitt were Ironpigs in 2009. This year the jerseys from 2009 are MLB authenticated as Team-Issued jerseys; in years past none were authenticated. I was also disappointed that I did not obtain any 2009 jerseys that had the WS patch on the sleeve, and I do not know if any existed.

They had nameplates for $20, lineup cards $25, some other jerseys in a different room for $200, yearbooks from other teams $2 (Yankees were $5), autographed hats and balls starting $5 and up (they lowered these 2 for $5 on Sunday on the $5 hats/balls and I bought some of these). They had some posters/banners etc. They also had some used batting helmets and cleats for sale. I did buy a Greg Dobbs signed authenticated 2008 WS ball for $25 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Overall, not much different than the last two years. They had a limit on jerseys (4) and bats (2). I go to a lot of Ironpigs games so I can relate to the jerseys more, but most people would probably not be that interested in these players. More bats this year but I have obtained enough now that I tend not to want to pay a lot on bats. I do not remember seeing any Polanco stuff...this event tends to have guys that have left the team.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Gocong57
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
On another site: http://jerseycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8076

Chris78
12-06-2010, 08:25 AM
On another site: http://jerseycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8076

Thanks for showing this. This is the type of stuff they would have at this. Keep in mind I was about 40-50 people back when I would have gotten in and some of the "better name" jerseys were sold after the picture was taken. Prices are cheap, but quality is pathetic. Bats were too much for me....If they cut these down the second day I might have bought some.

I am curious to anyone that asked about wanting me to look for something....Is there anything that you would have wanted? I will keep you in mind if I go next year?

Chris

Neal
12-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.

Chris78
12-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I was there on Saturday - probably about 100 people deep. I had visions of Brown, Utley, Hamels, etc dancing in my heads. Nothing.

For me, the only item that was worth buying was the Ruiz batting helmet for $80. The guy who bought it told me about it as he passed, and looking back, I wish I would have offered him a profit right then, and avoided wasting 45 mins standing in line.

I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Gocong57
12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I was hoping to see that Domonic Brown Spring Training jersey as well, but it did not exist. Utley and Hamels do not exist at this event. The crowd was less this year than the last two years as well. Even if you were first in line, what do you buy?....Davey Lopes, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Coste, etc.

Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all :)

Chris78
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Through the years, I've picked-up items directly from the Phillies, their auctions, charity events, and CBP seasonal kisok. The Holiday sale event is nice to supplement my Phils collection with lesser role players/ call-ups who I follow from Phils minor leagues. I don't flip any of my stuff, so I don't really look at an item with $$ in my eyes unless it is clearly over-priced, e.g., Dobbs bats for $175 when Phils were selling same this past in-season for $100.

A few years ago, as the Phils were ascending, Utley, Ruiz, Werth bats etc. were available for relatively reasonable prices. With recent success brings great demand from all quarters for their equipment and misc stuff, including junk. Serious collectors may look down their nose and steer away from latter, but it is a nice opportunity too for non-collector fans to obtain a piece of a team they love to watch.

The alternative is for this stuff to all go to auction/ebay; sold for super jacked up prices in the team store; or not made available at all. The Phils do know how to play up the holiday spirit to its fan base with this sale, SantaPhanatic, tree lighting, menorah, ball girl personal shoppers and all :)

Very well said. I follow the minor league guys very closely so I like buying some of these items (junk) for my collection. You could make the argument that they could move these items to the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs and they would sell much better, especially items like Andy Tracy, Mike Cervanek, Lou Marson, etc. The Andy Tracy nameplates would sell for 5-10x as much probably.

If you are looking for the top-tier guys it will be very rare or not at all. I saw a Chase Utley bat two years ago on Sunday for $400, but it was sold probably to the first person. Now they were selling it for $750 on the last day of the season and it sold. If the Phillies start missing the playoffs again, this sale might get better again for that person.

I have gone the last 3 years so I know what to expect, but for others wanting the big name players (Halladay, Hamels, Howard, Utley, Rollins, etc.) you are better off buying directly from the Phillies at the stand at Section 126, going to their auctions at games/Phillies Phestival at the ballpark during the season, or maybe buying off dealers. I know that the stand is expensive, but the Phillies just sold out every game for the entire 2010 season. If they are not as good, prices will come down and the holiday sale might have better names available.

Chris

Gocong57
12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I remember that Utley--a young woman bought it and I sent my wife to chase her and inquire about it as she went down the elevator--it was uncracked and NOT for re-sale at that time LOL.

Can you imagine how much more Utley's bats will appreciate when he resumes having good years?

Chris78
12-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Here is another site that has pictures of the event:

http://philliesphollowers.mlblogs.com/

cliffjmp33
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?

Chris78
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyone know if they still have any batting helmets left?

I believe they all sold out.

LastingsMilledge85
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Anything of Nelson Figueroa there?

BlueclawsBaseball
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Bats were over-priced in my opinion.... They had $75 for Paul Bako, Cody Ransom, etc. Werth was $300, Greg Dobbs $175, JA Happ $175....I did not buy any game used bats as I felt they cost too much other than a mystery bat for $10 which had the player's name blotted out. They had some signed/team issued bats as well, but I did not focus that much on this area. Maybe somebody else can chip in....

Jerseys were cheaper: batting practice $30 and up, Home/Road and a few alternate were mainly $60, etc. No big names at all just spring training guys, coaches, etc. These are some of the names that I bought: Lou Marson, Sergio Escalona, Rodrigo Lopez, Jason Donald, Dave Huppert, Milt Thompson, Anthony Hewitt, Mike Cervenak, and J.J. Furmaniak. You can see the trend that all but Thompson and Hewitt were Ironpigs in 2009. This year the jerseys from 2009 are MLB authenticated as Team-Issued jerseys; in years past none were authenticated. I was also disappointed that I did not obtain any 2009 jerseys that had the WS patch on the sleeve, and I do not know if any existed.

They had nameplates for $20, lineup cards $25, some other jerseys in a different room for $200, yearbooks from other teams $2 (Yankees were $5), autographed hats and balls starting $5 and up (they lowered these 2 for $5 on Sunday on the $5 hats/balls and I bought some of these). They had some posters/banners etc. They also had some used batting helmets and cleats for sale. I did buy a Greg Dobbs signed authenticated 2008 WS ball for $25 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Overall, not much different than the last two years. They had a limit on jerseys (4) and bats (2). I go to a lot of Ironpigs games so I can relate to the jerseys more, but most people would probably not be that interested in these players. More bats this year but I have obtained enough now that I tend not to want to pay a lot on bats. I do not remember seeing any Polanco stuff...this event tends to have guys that have left the team.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris, would you have any interest in moving the Hewitt or Donald jerseys?
Thanks
BB

Chris78
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Anything of Nelson Figueroa there?

No, I did not see anything.

Chris78
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Chris, would you have any interest in moving the Hewitt or Donald jerseys?
Thanks
BB

No, I tend not to sell anything at this point, as I collect. However, I will keep you in mind if I change my mind.

Chris

Klattsy
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I notice a Travis Blackley nameplate on the philliesphollowers blog...if anyone here picked that up and is looking to shift PLMK.

What does the name plate represent if it is half white/half red?

Thanks,
Mark.

Chris78
12-07-2010, 06:50 AM
I notice a Travis Blackley nameplate on the philliesphollowers blog...if anyone here picked that up and is looking to shift PLMK.

What does the name plate represent if it is half white/half red?

Thanks,
Mark.

I did not pick that one up. I still remember seeing that one later on, but I can't say for sure whether someone bought it afterwards (so it might pop up next year). That nameplate was from 2008 based on the color scheme.

Chris

Rickphils1
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I was able to get several items at the sale including Werth: game used blue alternate helmet, game used bat and game used cleats. Also got St. Patty's day jerseys of Brett Myers and Chris Coste and Lopes 09 alternative jersey with HK/08 ws champs patches on Saturday. Sunday got a couple of coaches BP jerseys for friends, Brett Myers game used cleats and a red batting helmet (ABC) left ear flap for RH batter, #58 on back. I would consider selling the red helmet. Not sure whose helmet it was. Possibilities include Darrin Winston and Antonio Bastardo both of whom were LH pitchers who wore #58 but batted right handed. Eude Brito also had number but he batted LH.

rdeversole
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Did anybody pickup a Pete Mckanin jersey? Id be interested in picking one up!

Rickphils1
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
On further review, Helmet made in late 1998 so definitely not Bastardo but still may get him to sign for display purposes.

gorphils
12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone picked up any locker nameplates that they would be willing to sell?

jetersbatboy
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
If anyone picked up any Dane Sardinha bats, I'd be interested if your looking to sell.

Chris78
12-08-2010, 08:02 AM
To answer some of the questions:

They did have Pete Mackanin jerseys for sale, but I did not buy any of his jerseys at this event. Batting practice was $50 so that is why I passed. You can only buy so much.

I bought some nameplates, but I do not plan to sell any at this time.

I do not remember seeing any Dane Sardinha items, but there is always next year.

It looks like "Rickphils1" got there earlier than I did on Saturday, as he got some better stuff.

Chris

anderson6
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I was able to get several items at the sale including Werth: game used blue alternate helmet, game used bat and game used cleats. Also got St. Patty's day jerseys of Brett Myers and Chris Coste and Lopes 09 alternative jersey with HK/08 ws champs patches on Saturday. Sunday got a couple of coaches BP jerseys for friends, Brett Myers game used cleats and a red batting helmet (ABC) left ear flap for RH batter, #58 on back. I would consider selling the red helmet. Not sure whose helmet it was. Possibilities include Darrin Winston and Antonio Bastardo both of whom were LH pitchers who wore #58 but batted right handed. Eude Brito also had number but he batted LH.

I know this is an old post, if you're still holding would you be interested in selling the Coste jersey? thanks Steve

Rickphils1
04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I know this is an old post, if you're still holding would you be interested in selling the Coste jersey? thanks Steve
I would sell for $100 plus shipping. Send private message if interested with email address, etc.

dietdew
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I would sell for $100 plus shipping. Send private message if interested with email address, etc.

Did you end up selling the Coste? I was curious and couldn't get it to send you a PM.

Rickphils1
05-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I still have the Coste jersey.

dietdew
05-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd be willing to take it off your hands. mk_kmav@hotmail.com Thanks.