PDA

View Full Version : Biggest idiot of the 2010 WS...?

sox83cubs84
10-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Never mind a manager having a brain cramp, or a runner getting picked off first. I'll give it to the Rangers fan who threw back Andres Torres' 8th inning home run a few hours ago.:mad:

The guy obviously isn't a collector, but doesn't this boob realize what he could get for it on the hobby market, if he had video of the play?

And...this knucklehead isn't even a Wrigley Field bleacher drunk!:eek:

Dave Miedema

trsent
10-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Never mind a manager having a brain cramp, or a runner getting picked off first. I'll give it to the Rangers fan who threw back Andres Torres' 8th inning home run a few hours ago.:mad:

The guy obviously isn't a collector, but doesn't this boob realize what he could get for it on the hobby market, if he had video of the play?

And...this knucklehead isn't even a Wrigley Field bleacher drunk!:eek:

Dave Miedema

Dave, not everyone is looking to make a dollar every time they catch a baseball.

nationals2k9
10-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Dave, not everyone is looking to make a dollar every time they catch a baseball.

+1

I'm guessing that being at the Rangers first World Series home game EVER and throwing that "trash" back on the field is far more empowering and memorable than making a few bucks off the ball. That said, I understand that your passion for getting a baseball like that drives you to think a certain way when you see someone else do that with a ball. I'm guessing many of us think similarly about our favorite things in the hobby.

camarokids
10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm guessing many of us think similarly about our favorite things in the hobby.

Reminds me of the Cardinals Spring Training camp where employees were throwing broken bats away in the dumpster....:mad:.....

Bravesfan
10-31-2010, 11:35 AM
That fan is probably a bigger fan than any of us.

flota89
10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Reminds me of the Cardinals Spring Training camp where employees were throwing broken bats away in the dumpster....:mad:.....
I almost had a heart attack watching that.

godwulf
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm told that the practice of throwing the other team's home run balls back onto the field originated at Wrigley - whatever. It's stupid, whether it's in a World Series game or any other. It makes doing The Wave look like pure genius. And it doesn't make you a better fan.

trsent
10-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would throw a baseball back. I have gone to maybe 500 baseball games in my life, most before 1994. I have been given two baseball from the final out over the dugout and that is all.

I had a foul ball off Frank Thomas (Big Hurt) hit my hand, after hitting a little girl's hand and fly away. My hand hurt for a week or so. That was the closest I ever game to getting a baseball in the stands in around 500 lifetime games.

So, if a lucky moron finally catches a ball in the stands and throws it back, they fulfilled their dreams and gave it right back.

LastingsMilledge85
10-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...there's still at least three more games left, let's wait before we crown the biggest idiot of the WS. On another note, these fools that throw the HR balls back will pay a big price someday. It's bound to happen someday that a fan that throws a ball back will strike the outfielder and then charges will be pressed.

justinbittner220
10-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't know if the act of throwing the ball back was necessarily dumb or not...

Do you think that seeing a fan throw the homerun ball back would inspire the Rangers or give them inspiration knowing that the fans are behind them?

Don't get me wrong though, as a collector, it is sad to see, but as a fan, I think it's pretty cool.

RRexpressfan94
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM

they do the same at the end of the season at a local minor league stadium near me. what ever is left over in the lockers one week after the last game is throw in the trash (bats, gloves, etc.). To add to it i know a kid who went dumpster diving one night to look for stuff.

Bravesfan
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I never said it was smart. I never said I would throw it back either. But my reasons are purely selfish reasons. The fans reasons are his own and I don't really care what he does with his baseball.

godwulf
10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
they do the same at the end of the season at a local minor league stadium near me. what ever is left over in the lockers one week after the last game is throw in the trash (bats, gloves, etc.). To add to it i know a kid who went dumpster diving one night to look for stuff.

If true, some equipment guys are sure missing out. You might be hard pressed to get ten bucks for some no-name bush leaguer's bat, or twenty for a worn-out glove, but occasionally one of those guys is going to crack the majors and then his minor league stuff is going to be in demand. Even the stuff from the guys who are destined to be business reps or realtors in five years is part of the team's history, and die-hard fans of that team would love to own it. Not everybody collects the high-end, Major League stuff, or particularly wants to.

legaleagle92481
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I personally have a hard time understanding why anyone would throw a baseball back. I have gone to maybe 500 baseball games in my life, most before 1994. I have been given two baseball from the final out over the dugout and that is all.

I had a foul ball off Frank Thomas (Big Hurt) hit my hand, after hitting a little girl's hand and fly away. My hand hurt for a week or so. That was the closest I ever game to getting a baseball in the stands in around 500 lifetime games.

So, if a lucky moron finally catches a ball in the stands and throws it back, they fulfilled their dreams and gave it right back.

Wow that would have been an awesome one to catch. I know how you feel I have been to dozens upon dozens of games and never caught one either. I have been to different ball parks sat in different areas of the park and got nothing. Closest I came was an Adam Dunn homer that landed two rows behind me (the seats were empty and I lost the scrum to get it off the floor) and Gary Sheffield hit a foul duringthe 2009 season that hit the seat next to me that I might have had a chance at if I were not more concerned with making sure it did not hit the person I was with.

Astros7
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Having been at the 2005 World Series and seeing the Geoff Blum 14th inning "HR Ball" get thrown back on the field, Is anyone sure it was the actual ball? The "Geoff Blum ball" retrieved by the ball boy who sits about 5 feet from my seats was a regular MLB ball (not world series) and had a giant "H" on the sweet spot. This is how the Astros mark their BP balls. So that one obviously wasn't the real ball.....I wasn't watching that close, did a camera follow the ball into the stands and back out? Is there any footage showing the ball once it landed back on the field? Was it a WS ball, does anyone know? They use regular balls for BP even during the WS.

cjclong
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I suppose that fans can do whatever they like with a ball. What I resent is fans putting pressure on a fan who had caught a home run ball to throw it back. I go to a number of Rangers games and for some of the games we sit in the home run porch. There are players I like from other teams and if I caught a home run ball hit by someone like Jeter I damn well wouldn't throw it back and would resent people pressuring me to throw it away. I think its silly to throw the ball back, its not going to make any difference to the home team whether someone keeps the ball or not, and it doesn't make you any greater fan. If you want to throw it back fine, but let everyone decided what they want to do themselves and if they want to keep it leave them alone.

sox83cubs84
11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I suppose that fans can do whatever they like with a ball. What I resent is fans putting pressure on a fan who had caught a home run ball to throw it back. I go to a number of Rangers games and for some of the games we sit in the home run porch. There are players I like from other teams and if I caught a home run ball hit by someone like Jeter I damn well wouldn't throw it back and would resent people pressuring me to throw it away. I think its silly to throw the ball back, its not going to make any difference to the home team whether someone keeps the ball or not, and it doesn't make you any greater fan. If you want to throw it back fine, but let everyone decided what they want to do themselves and if they want to keep it leave them alone.

That's why I detest the practice...because such attempts at intimidation by fans at the Unfriendly Confines are the norm for anyone who resists the "tradition". I've seen and been told of senior citizens being scared to keep a home run; fans being doused with beer; one fan being chased out of the ballpark; and even kids having balls ripped out of thier hands by drunken bleacher idiots. Meanwhile, Cubs management not only looks the other way, they even encourage fans to "throw it back". Sad to say, I doubt this practice will end at the Unfriendly Confines until some fan who refuses to throw it back is attacked and injured by bleacher drunks and pot-smokers, and the fan files a lawsuit and gives the Cubs a deserving major PR black eye.

Dave Miedema

metsbats
11-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Having been at the 2005 World Series and seeing the Geoff Blum 14th inning "HR Ball" get thrown back on the field, Is anyone sure it was the actual ball? The "Geoff Blum ball" retrieved by the ball boy who sits about 5 feet from my seats was a regular MLB ball (not world series) and had a giant "H" on the sweet spot. This is how the Astros mark their BP balls. So that one obviously wasn't the real ball.....I wasn't watching that close, did a camera follow the ball into the stands and back out? Is there any footage showing the ball once it landed back on the field? Was it a WS ball, does anyone know? They use regular balls for BP even during the WS.

I"ve read a blog that suggested fans take a non gamer ball (like the practice ball you saw) and keep it on them. If they catch a real gamer home run ball they would throw the bogus ball back and keep the real gamer.

godwulf
11-04-2010, 11:09 AM
It's a mob mentality kind of thing. The same phenomenon, combined with greed, that seems to make some folks think it's perfectly acceptable behavior to physically attack someone for possession of a home run ball "because it's at the ballpark".

On the subject of greed, I've been going to a lot of Arizona Fall League games these past 3 1/2 weeks, and am always disturbed by the presence of the kids, aged roughly 7 to 14 (and why they're not in school during the day is anyone's guess) who are totally oblivious to the game being played until the second a foul ball is hit - then they scream and dash to where they think it's going to fall, fight over it, or, if an adult fielded the ball, beg for it. In some cases, a parent (usually a father) will be close by, egging them on, and encouraging them to get "another ball".

Yesterday, I was sitting out in the right field stands at Phoenix Muni, and two boys, probably about eight years old, were running around where I was, yelling, hiding under the bleachers, waiting for a foul ball to come that way (as they frequently do) and I said to them, "Hey guys, if you're not careful you're going to accidentally see part of the game." Blank looks, and "What?" "Never mind." I happened to hear them talking on the way out, after the game, and they'd gotten five balls between them that day - but sure as Hell, if they'd been anywhere in the area when I fielded a foul ball in the third inning, I'd have been inundated with calls of "Give it to the kid!"

I've seen kids throw their gloves down and pout for an entire game because somebody else got a foul ball that they wanted. The other night, a foul ball went right to an older guy up in the stands, who didn't offer to "give it to the kid", and I heard the kid tell his friend that "that old guy stole my ball".

It wouldn't be so bad if these little punks were actually watching the game, but most of them are clearly not...or if the parents weren't either totally oblivious or actively encouraging.

sox83cubs84
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I"ve read a blog that suggested fans take a non gamer ball (like the practice ball you saw) and keep it on them. If they catch a real gamer home run ball they would throw the bogus ball back and keep the real gamer.

Savvy fans do that, even at Cubs games, but a lot of fans feel it somehow gives them brownie points with the team and their fans if they throw the actual baseball.

I had a home run of a common player land 8 feet from me at Comiskey Park several years ago, and the fan who got it wouldn't even consider the cash offer I made him because "I have to be true to my White Sox!":rolleyes:

On the other hand, in the late 1990s, all it took for me to deal for a Richie Sexson home run was to buy beers for the guy who caught it (4 seats away) and his date:p

The difference between a Sox game and a Cubs game is thast, at a Sox game, the 'throw it back" chant is rarely energetic and even opposed by Cubs-hating Sox fans who yell to the luck fan that "this isn't a Cubs game". At Wrigley, you are, at the least, headed for heaps of cursing and verbal abuse if you don't throw it back, and may be putting your safety in danger.

Dave Miedema

godwulf
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I saw something yesterday that more than balanced my view on kids at the ballpark, and that - considering my earlier rant - I thought I needed to share.

A foul ball went into the stands a couple of sections to my right, and a boy of about nine, wearing a Twins cap and a Justin Morneau t-shirt, sitting with his father a few rows ahead of me, got up to chase it down. When he got to the ball, there was another kid, maybe a year younger, coming at it from another direction, but the second kid sort of gave up at some point, I guess figuring the older boy would get there first.

The older boy did, but then he picked up the ball and continued walking to where the younger one stood, and handed the baseball to him. 'Morneau' got a nice hand from the crowd, and even an encouraging word from this old curmudgeon. That was sure good to see.