PDA

View Full Version : As a fan, has a "hunch" ever come true at a ballgame?

sox83cubs84
10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Have you ever gone to a sporting event, having a gut feeling that something unusual (and positive) was going to happen to you at the game, no matter how pie-in-the-sky it may have seemed?

I've been blessed by God (and baseball) in this way twice.

The first time was 7/31/76...MLB was expected to have it's one billionth fan come through the turnstiles at a game that day. Since there was no way the actual billionth fan could be determined, each of the 12 home teams that day (including the Cubs) devised their own selection method of determining their own representative one billionth fan, with a plaque presentation on-field before the game, multiple prizes, and a part in a Hall of Fame exhibit as part of the experience.

I saw a small note about this in the Chicago Tribune, and mentioned my interest in going. My mother, ever the pessimist, assured me that I would never get the honor. "Too many people", she lamented.

I arrived at the park at about 9AM, and a security guard buddy filled me in on the selection method. The home plate gate would have all it's turnstiles opened, and the fan first in line at the selected turnstile would be the one declared representative one billionth fan.

As the large gate opened, 2 people ahead of me ran to the nearest turnstiles. I went further down the line, opting for a turnstile being attended by a cute brunette lookin' fine in the standard female usher uniform of the day (yellow top and blue miniskirt).

Long story short...selection was made, I was selected, and was given so many prizes that my parents had to drive down to Wrigley to take them all home. Plus, the short-term stint in a Hall of Fame display...long before any Wrigely Field ballhawk pals sniffed a similar appearance in Cooperstown.

The second time: 9/8/92. I was having a devil of a time getting a game home run that year (my second year of serious ballhawking), and a night game in Milwaukee beckoned. I had a gut feeling that I could grab my second-ever game HR one year to the day after I got my first (Andre Dawson #396 at Wrigley Field). Again, my wife (this time) was convinced it would never happen, and said just that, as I left to go to the nearby Amtrak station to take a train to Milwaukee.

BP was rained out, and the playing of the game itself was in question. I did have a warmup ball tossed to me by Milwaukee coach Ralph Rowe, but I was hoping for more...and got it!

There were maybe six people, including me, out in the right field bleachers of old County Stadium, as the game began...rain was still falling as the game started. I didn't have to wait long, though, as Brewer Dave Nilsson smacked a shot that cleared the wall in the old right field well (a ground level gap between the bleachers and the right field boxes).

One other guy and I dashed down the steps and looked for it, but didn't see it. A fan pointed out the location, and we both made a mad dash for it. The other fan had position, and briefly led the chase. However, said fan carried a lot of extra poundage on his short frame, and I was able to pass him by and snatch the Nilsson homer. The guy was a good sport about it, so I ended up giving him the ball Rowe tossed me, and he was happy as well.

Two ballpark trips, and two high-odds events that I envisioned happening came true. Anyone else here "defy the odds"? Share it with us if you have.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
10-30-2010, 05:42 PM
In the early 1970s, probably 1971 or 1972, my mom took me to a Twins game. It was bat day and the stadium was full of kids pounding those bats in the stands, creating a lot of noise and excitement. My father had died about a year earlier, so it was a bittersweet thing to be at the game.

Anyway, the Twins were behind (they weren't very good any more, their star players except Carew were over the hill,) and later in the game, Killebrew came up with runners on base and two out. Harmon was well past his prime and his gut was starting to stretch out his knit jersey. The noise was very loud and remember thinking about how much Harmon must've wanted to hit one out. But, he was no longer so dangerous, and it wasn't likely. I remember thinking "It would be too good to be true for him to do it..." Crack! The noise got even louder as Killebrew's classic left-center field moonshot flew out and landed deep into the seats.

The only visual memory I have is Harmon, rounding second, head down in his modest style, and I was imagining how happy he must've been to come through like that, in front of all those fans, many of them kids.

I didn't end up with prizes or a ball, but it was an absolute skin-tingling moment that I cherish.

Vintagedeputy
10-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I had some pretty good hunches on the Roulette table last week!

murfsteve25
10-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Not really a hunch as it was a goal...

Few years ago my buddy and i decided to take a trip in the spring to Miami for a week. We thought about going to a spring training game somewhere in Florida while we were there. He didnt really care which game we went to, but I wanted to go to the Orioles game for the sole purpose of getting Leo Mazzone's autograph. We bought the tickets online a few weeks before we left for the trip, and I told my buddy from day 1 that i was going to get Leo's autograph. Finally the day comes where we pull up to the stadium. We walk in and head over to the fence thats along the first base line. I saw Leo standing in front of the dugout, and told my buddy that I was going to get it. I had a "hunch" that Leo would walk out to the field, so i waited for my moment. Finally he walked out and stood on the line past first base, which was right in front of me. I asked him to please come over and sign, but he tried to ignore me. I knew i had to step my game up, so I said everything I could to get his attention and let him know i was sincere about wanting his autograph. Finally he turned around, smiling, and walked over and was happy to sign. Got the autograph and my buddy was pretty amazed.

RRexpressfan94
10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
during the second half of the 2008 season was when i seriously started collecting. (I was 13 at the time, im now 16). My favorite player was and still is Josh Hamilton. So, when he first broke his ribs in april of 2009 i said to my dad, watch him go on rehab with the rangers AAA (OKC redhawks at the time) and him play here at round rock (Round Rock Express, about 20 mins from where i live). Sure enough, about 4 weeks later I saw on the news that he would be rehabbing here for 2 games. I skipped out on our family's mothers day celebrations and school the next day to go to both games. I was lucky enough to meet him both times, I have met Josh 3 other times since then and he know how big of a fan I am of his. just my little story.

slambam
10-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Cards/Cubs game at Busch July 4th weekend in '08. Game was tied going into the 8th. For some reason I turned to my Cardinal buddy (I'm a Cards fan also, we were with two Cub buddies) right before the 8th started and said I have a bad feeling about this inning. The inning led off with a double and the next batter hit a two run homer. It was one of the best games I've been to. Cub fans gave Kerry Wood a standing O when he came in for the 9th, and he promptly blew it!

Klattsy
10-31-2010, 11:54 PM
I was able to pass him by and snatch the Nilsson homer.
Dave Miedema

Dave, long shot, but please email me if you are willing to part with that ball.

Mark.

legaleagle92481
11-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Almost. The second to the last Mets game of 2007, after a couple of innings I had a feeling that John Maine was going to toss the Mets 1st ever no hitter. He ended up giving up only one late game infield single to Dan Uggla.

obpercent1
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
2001 I was at the Pawtucket Red Sox game which I have had season tickets since 1990 and it was cold and rainy Sunday day game in April that had a very small crowd(less than 2000). Juan Diaz was coming to bat the next inning so I had a feeling he was due so I went to the berm in left field where no one was hanging out because of the rain he then proceeded to crush a ball right to me I caught it and went back to my seat the next inning. He signed it for me after the game with the H/R # for the season.

sox83cubs84
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Dave, long shot, but please email me if you are willing to part with that ball.

Mark.

Sorry, Mark...the ball was sold years ago when the first of an unending wave of financial problems beset me.

Dave Miedema

Klattsy
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry, Mark...the ball was sold years ago when the first of an unending wave of financial problems beset me.

Dave Miedema

Thanks for the reply Dave, David is the coach of my local Australian Baseball League Team (http://www.brisbanebandits.com.au), I could have easily got it auto'd :(

Thanks,
Mark.