PDA

View Full Version : whats more valuable? Record/Milestone ball, bat, or jersey?

gnishiyama
10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Dear members,
This is a question that I've always wondered but now has become more
embedded in my head with the recent announcement of the sale
of Kirk Gibson's equipment from his historical World Series homerun.

When a player hits a historical (i.e. World Series), milestone (i.e. 500 HR),
record-breaking hit (i.e. Bonds 756 HR) what do you think or consider is
more valuable; the ball that was actually hit, the bat that was used to hit
it,or the jersey worn by the respective player?

We've all seen the actual ball go up for auction and sell for some insane
prices like McGwires 70 HR ball. I wonder what would of happened if
McGwires bat and jersey used/worn to hit that home run was auctioned
off at the same time? Would it have gone for more than the ball? On the
same note, if the actual WS HR ball that was hit by Gibson was auctioned
with the jersey and bat, what do you predict will go for the highest price?

Being a game-used baseball collector I'm a bit biased and still think the ball
is the most valuable but we've never really been able to gauge since
most milestone balls either goes into the crowd or to the respective player,
while the equipment many time goes to the Hall of Fame or is kept
by the respective player.

Any thoughts and comment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Goh Nishiyama
gnishiyama@gmail.com

Always buying game-used equipment of past and current Japanese MLB
players.

rdeversole
10-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I think the bat is at least as important as the ball. The ball wouldn't be relevant if it weren't for the bat that hit it for the home run or single or whatever play the play was.

cigarman44
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I thought about this when I bought the Rick Ankiel splash hit. I think having the bat or ball would be more desirable than the jersey if you are talking about a milestone hit or hr.

cigarman44
10-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I thought about this when I bought the Rick Ankiel splash hit. I think having the bat or ball would be more desirable than the jersey if you are talking about a milestone hit or hr.

Not saying the jersey wouldn't be more valuable, but I would rather have the bat or ball.

indyred
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Interesting question. Hasn't Arod sold some of his milestone home run bats ,jerseys and balls, that are MLB authenticated and inscribed by him? maybe someone has prices on what some of his big milestone stuff has sold for. I know he got his #600 home run ball, because it was hit in area where their was no crowd. MLB authenticated has picture of ball on its twitter page.
It's too bad the Gibson World Series home run ball never got accounted for. No one ever came forward with it is what I have read.

Just from past auctions I still think the actual ball itself is worth the most.

legaleagle92481
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
The jersey to me is least valuable it was not really part of the homer it does not matter if he was standing there naked. The ball is most valuable because that is the thing that was hit and landed wherever it landed.

indyred
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Seached for some Arod home run bat prices. Found auction for his 545 Hr bat, signed and inscribed by him as well. Although not a real milestone bat, still sold for over 4k. Here is link.http://www.natedsanders.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemID=27742

cigarman44
10-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Seached for some Arod home run bat prices. Found auction for his 545 Hr bat, signed and inscribed by him as well. Although not a real milestone bat, still sold for over 4k. Here is link.http://www.natedsanders.com/ItemInfo.asp?ItemID=27742

His 500th HR ball sold for 103,000. Did that bat ever go to auction?

I know the security guard that caught 600 gave the ball back to him. He got a signed game used bat out of the deal. Not sure if it was the one he used to hit the homer.

LWMM
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Ruth's 702nd home run ball just sold for $264,500, while the bat with which he hit it sold for $137,865 (both with BP). Both are signed by Ruth--the ball much more clearly--and the bat is also signed by 15 of his teammates.

Bat:
http://www.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13910&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=15&seo=1934-BABE-RUTH-PROFESSIONAL-MODEL-BAT-USED-BY-RUTH-TO-HIT-CAREER-HOMERUN-%23702---AUTOGRAPHED-BY-THE-1

Ball:
http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=29&lot_num=410&lot_qual=