PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authenticated date but doesn't match photos question

mbenga28
10-23-2010, 11:55 AM
is it common for MLB to authenticate an item from a specific date but you the item doesn't photo match what's being used for that date? if you message MLB Authentication about this, what's usually their response?

MLB_Authentic
10-23-2010, 11:57 AM
The date listed doesnt always mean that is when they used it. Its just the day that the authenticator got around to authenticating it. Some teams don't authenticate until they have a big pile of stuff. It could very well have been used long before the date, but the authenticator didnt authenticate it then.

mbenga28
10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
okay thanks but that's what confuses me, I thought that the authenticator has to be present and witness an item being games used, like a jersey coming directly off the player's back, before authenticating it as game used. if the item was used prior to, what's to say a game issued could have gotten mixed in the pile and ends up authenticated game used when it really wasn't?

MLB_Authentic
10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
As far as jerseys, I know some authenticators will use an invisible dye on the jerseys prior to them being worn, that when held up to a light becomes visible. This may be one way that they know it was worn.

okay thanks but that's what confuses me, I thought that the authenticator has to be present and witness an item being games used, like a jersey coming directly off the player's back, before authenticating it as game used. if the item was used prior to, what's to say a game issued could have gotten mixed in the pile and ends up authenticated game used when it really wasn't?

indyred
10-23-2010, 02:32 PM
is it common for MLB to authenticate an item from a specific date but you the item doesn't photo match what's being used for that date? if you message MLB Authentication about this, what's usually their response?

what do you have that isn't coming up ? Did you check games before the date for it. Is it bat, jersey, helmet?

You have a better chance getting a call through to the President than MLB authentication ansering your email about something they are selling.

PwKw13
10-23-2010, 09:54 PM
This thread has some interesting information on the topic of MLB authentication.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33533&highlight=Helton+MLB+authentication