PDA

View Full Version : Bargain with Meigray???

Jeffredsfan
10-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if Meigray will accept a lower offer on any of their website listed items? Has anyone dealt with Meigray in this manner? Thanks for all your help!

tilley72
10-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know if Meigray will accept a lower offer on any of their website listed items? Has anyone dealt with Meigray in this manner? Thanks for all your help!

I've never bargained with them, but they have a summer sale every summer, which discounts some of their older jerseys dramatically, in many cases up to 50%. I pulled the details from a different web site directly from a Barry Meisel post, and here they are below:

Hi everybody,

WELCOME TO MEIGRAY’S 2010 SUMMER SALE

Special Note: TO EXPEDITE ORDERS, PLEASE PUT CREDIT CARD SECURITY CODE IN SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS PORTION OF ON-LINE ORDER FORM.

Special Note: CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE NOT COMPLETED PAYMENTS ON PRE-ORDERS, OUTSTANDING ORDERS, OR ARE BEHIND IN THEIR LAYAWAY PAYMENTS MUST SETTLE THEIR BALANCES BEFORE BEING ELIGIBLE TO ORDER FROM SUMMER SALE.

Term and Conditions. Please Read Carefully
• Sale begins immediately. Sale ends Friday, September 3 at 6:00 PM ET.
• Call toll-free, 888-463-4472, for descriptions of game use.
• On-line orders are encouraged to ensure availability. Ignore retail price. Adjustment will be made when processed by MGG.
• MULTIPLE SALE OPTIONS MAY NOT BE COMBINED ON A SINGLE JERSEY.
• DISCOUNT COUPONS MAY NOT BE USED FOR SUMMER SALE.
• GRAB BAG CERTIFICATES MAY NOT BE USED FOR SUMMER SALE.
• THIS SALE CANNOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER SALE.
• NO LAYAWAYS. PAYMENT IN FULL IS REQUIRED.
• IF PAYING BY CHECK/MONEY ORDER OR PAYPAL, PAYMENT MUST BE POSTMARKED WITHIN 48 HOURS. PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE HELD 15 BUSINESS DAYS TO CLEAR.
• IF PAYING BY PAYPAL, FOR PRICE ADJUSTMENT SEND PAYMENT TO SALES@MEIGRAY.COM SEPARATELY, NOT THROUGH SECURE ORDERING SYSTEM.
• JERSEYS ON CONSIGNMENT (marked with asterisk) ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SUMMER SALE.
• ALL SALES FINAL. RETURNS NOT PERMITTED.
• MGG IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, ASTERISK OMISSIONS ON CONSIGNMENT ITEMS. EVERY SALE ITEM IS SUBJECT TO MGG APPROVAL.
• GAME-ISSUED JERSEYS (MARKED GI) ARE NOT ON SALE.

2009-2010 NHL-MGG PROGRAM TEAMS (meigray.com)

• Take 15% off any Set 1 regular-season game-worn jersey. JERSEYS FROM SETS 2 AND 3 ARE NOT ON SALE.

• Take 10% off any training camp, pre-season or practice jersey in stock from 2009-10.

• GAME-ISSUED JERSEYS ARE NOT ON SALE.

2002-03 through 2008-09 NHL-MGG (meigray.com and nhlgameworn.com)

• Take 50% off any regular-season game-worn jersey from 2002-03 thru 2008-09.

• Take 20% off any training camp, pre-season or practice jersey from 2002-03 thru 2008-09.

AHL-MGG (meigray.com)

• Take 50% off any 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, or 2008-09 AHL-MGG program jersey in stock.

• Take 50% off any pre-AHL-MGG Program AHL jerseys in stock.

• 2009 Calder Cup Finals jerseys are NOT on sale.

ECHL-MGG (meigray.com)

• Take 50% off any 2008-09 or earlier ECHL-MGG program jersey in stock.

• Take 25% off any 2009-10 ECHL-MGG program jersey in stock.

2007-2008, 2008-09, and 2009-10 NBA & MGG PROGRAM TEAMS (nbagameworn.com)

• Take 50% off any jersey in stock from 2007-08.

• Take 25% off any jersey in stock from 2008-09.

• Take 15% off any jersey in stock from 2009-10.

2005-06 AND 2006-2007 NBA & MGG HARDWOOD CLASSICS (nbagameworn.com)

• Take 50% off any jersey in stock.

Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, New York Knicks, Toronto Raptors (meigray.com)

• Take 50% off any jersey in stock from
2006-07 or earlier.

Philadelphia Eagles (meigray.com)

• Take 50% off any Eagles jersey in stock.

MeiGray.com, pre-2002-03 Jerseys (Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, LA Kings, NJ Devils, NY Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes, Toronto Maple Leafs)

• Take 50% off any jersey in stock.

Equipment (meigray.com)

• Take 50% off NJ Devils, NY Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes and Portland Pirates equipment (sticks, skates, gloves, pads, pants, helmets) in stock. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS AND WASHINGTON CAPS ARE NOT ON SALE.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

salmon
10-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Jeffredsfan, a couple of times I sent a best offer to MeiGray for a jersey. Barry Meisel got back to me each time either accepting the offer or presenting a counteroffer. I would give it a try because the company is top notch, open to ideas personable and flexible. Good luck and have a good day!

TJordan522
10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, they will. I have made an offer on a jersey a number of times, and Barry will either accept my offer or get back to me with a counter-offer. You can probably save $100-$200 depending on the jersey or if you make an offer on multiple jerseys.

cmw2ward
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I was wondering if some of you hockey experts could help me out with how Meigray works? I was recently on their site and saw a stick I was interested in.

The question is on older hockey sticks (that i believe were offered for retail sale) how does Meigray authenticate these sticks?

To put in terms that a baseball guy would understand, is it the same thing as an authenticator saying a Jeter bat is good (without a steiner letter)? That is basically looking at a bat that the public could buy and saying that the use is consistent with Jeter etc.?

There for is it completely based on opinion and not fact? What I am asking is if there is something like factory order records, or pro model sticks that were not available to the public? I'm trying to learn if older hockey stick can truly be authenticated. Thanks in advance.

Jeffredsfan
10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Thank you all very much for your information. I just sent Meigray an offer on a jersey. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again.

TJordan522
10-23-2010, 02:39 AM
As far as I know, they will scour their reference materials and check for photo matches, and if none can be found they will sometimes issue an authentication based on characteristics of the stick (if it is consistent with how the player tape his stick, etc.) I'm not a huge fan of this because personally I think it's pretty easy to fake a stick! I mean, if the stick in question was a newer stick and they got it right from one of their partner teams I would have no worries, but with an older stick you just never know. Ask about the background story behind the particular stick you're interested in...maybe it came from the player himself or a trusted team source.
One of the reasons I don't trust their stick authentication is because earlier this year, a friend of mine bought a Brodeur stick and he had some concerns about it, so he sent it to MeiGray to check out. They gave it the thumbs up and issued an LOA, but based on my research I'm convinced the stick was a fake.

Now, I'm not trying to bash MeiGray, I have purchased many sticks from them before...it's just that the incident I mentioned with the Brodeur stick really left an impression on me. For jerseys, MeiGray can't be beat, whether it is current stuff or vintage stuff, and I'm sure all of the sticks they have in their warehouse are real, but I would be wary of older stuff or consignment stuff because you just never know!

There's my opinion, but I would recommend calling them up and asking.

I was wondering if some of you hockey experts could help me out with how Meigray works? I was recently on their site and saw a stick I was interested in.

The question is on older hockey sticks (that i believe were offered for retail sale) how does Meigray authenticate these sticks?

To put in terms that a baseball guy would understand, is it the same thing as an authenticator saying a Jeter bat is good (without a steiner letter)? That is basically looking at a bat that the public could buy and saying that the use is consistent with Jeter etc.?

There for is it completely based on opinion and not fact? What I am asking is if there is something like factory order records, or pro model sticks that were not available to the public? I'm trying to learn if older hockey stick can truly be authenticated. Thanks in advance.

TJordan522
10-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Thank you all very much for your information. I just sent Meigray an offer on a jersey. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again.

Good luck!

cmw2ward
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, TJordan

Swoboda4
10-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I just visited the Meigray website to view the Shea Stadium memoriabilia. When I clicked on the Shea category only two minor items came up. I know he couldn't have liquidated everything yet. Why only two? Did someone take/purchase all those items?

BarryMeisel
10-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi everybody,

Was out of town, and just saw this thread ... and so I'd like to address three different points here ...

1) Hi Jeffredsfan,

As a number of posts have made clear, yes, we're always happy to listen to offers. We may accept, we may decline, we may counter. But we respect and will respond to any reasonable offer.

2) TJordan, you made a few comments regarding our stick authentication that I respectfully feel you should clarify. We authenticate sticks very carefully, especially those older sticks of which we did not acquire directly from our partner teams.

Although we have seen several, we have only authenticated one Martin Brodeur stick, the RBK Pulse X10 to which I believe you are referring.

We do not have factory records, but sticks used by NHL players do have certain qualities/dates/serial numbers/etc that often help us determine authenticity. We used this information, and also checked the provenance of the stick to help us in our authentication.

You wrote regarding the Brodeur: "But based on my research I am convinced the stick was a fake."

I believe that comment is irresponsible without specifying and outlining your research, and the information that led you to this conclusion. As many of you know, MeiGray offers a 100% lifetime guarantee on everything it sells. If we have authenticated an item incorrectly, we would be eager for information that would help us correct a mistake. Please forward this information to me, so we may examine it. If you are correct, we would immediately fix our mistake. But it serves no purpose to make a one-sentence declarative statement like you did without any supporting information.

3) Swoboda4, yes we are virtually sold out of Shea Stadium items, approximately 99.9 percent gone. What remaining items we have for sale can be found on our website and at mlb.com's auction website. But Shea sold incredibly well, and what once was a 15,000-square foot baseball warehouse of Shea is now a few shelves in one small corner of our hockey warehouse.

Respectfully,
Barry

TJordan522
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM
TJordan, you made a few comments regarding our stick authentication that I respectfully feel you should clarify. We authenticate sticks very carefully, especially those older sticks of which we did not acquire directly from our partner teams.

Although we have seen several, we have only authenticated one Martin Brodeur stick, the RBK Pulse X10 to which I believe you are referring.

We do not have factory records, but sticks used by NHL players do have certain qualities/dates/serial numbers/etc that often help us determine authenticity. We used this information, and also checked the provenance of the stick to help us in our authentication.

You wrote regarding the Brodeur: "But based on my research I am convinced the stick was a fake."

I believe that comment is irresponsible without specifying and outlining your research, and the information that led you to this conclusion. As many of you know, MeiGray offers a 100% lifetime guarantee on everything it sells. If we have authenticated an item incorrectly, we would be eager for information that would help us correct a mistake. Please forward this information to me, so we may examine it. If you are correct, we would immediately fix our mistake. But it serves no purpose to make a one-sentence declarative statement like you did without any supporting information.

Barry, I didn't mean to make an irresponsible comment or put down MeiGray at all, so I apologize. But yes, that RBK is the stick I was referring to.

Basically, I am relatively certain the stick is a fake for three reasons:

1. The tape on the knob of the stick is not the correct thickness. Brodeur tapes the butt ends of his game sticks rather large, and the top of this stick had only a small knob.

2. As we both know, the main identifying characteristic of a game used Brodeur stick is his habit of writing the opposing team's initials on the knob of the stick. This stick had "NYI" written on it for the New York Islanders, but the writing on this particular stick was not consistant with dozens of game photos I checked. In photos of Brodeur playing against the Islanders, his sticks were marked NYI, with the I having the parallel lines to cap the top and bottom of it. On the stick that was sent to you for authentication, the I was only a straight line, like this: "l" instead of this: "I"

3. Finally, Brodeur only used that X-Pulse model of stick for parts of two seasons. I checked photos from EVERY single Devils/Islanders game during that time period and could not find one match, despite this stick having some unique and easily identifiable wear on it.

Those three reasons should have provided enough doubt, in my opinion, to warrant MeiGray giving it a "thumbs down," or at the very least a "we're not sure and therefore cannot register the stick into our system."
I feel like the stick should not have been given the "thumbs up" and I feel like the COA should not have been issued because really, while the stick MIGHT be real, I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty that it is, and anything with MeiGray's name on it should be 100% and 100% only.
Not that it's up to me, but I would not risk tarnshing such a respected system like MeiGray's by issuing paperwork on something without being absolutely certain. If Stu was absolutely certain about this stick, I would love to know how, so feel free to let me know or contact me privately if you prefer. I just don't think MeiGray should issue an LOA or COA or authentication to ANY item that was not acquired directly from a team or player without a photo match to verify, or one hell of a reliable story to go with it instead.

Again, my apologies for posting on here in the first place...I should have just kept it to myself or contacted you directly, but it wasn't worth the headache to me and I hope you don't hold it against me. I have nothing but good things to say about MeiGray, it's just that this particular stick really had me questioning the authentication system for third-party items.

salmon
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Barry Meisel. It's great to hear from you and for the outstanding job you and your colleagues do over at MeiGray. Do you have any further information on which NBA Teams will be participating in the NBA Game Worn program this season? Thank you and have a good day!

BULBUS
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Barry,

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but now that the NY Giants are no longer selling game used on their website, can Meigray get them back? :D Not sure what their plans are with their game used stuff, but it sure would be nice to see Meigray selling Giants jerseys again. :)

Thanks,
Chris

BarryMeisel
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the detailed info this time, TJordan. Now we can re-examine.

We will review this, and if we have made a mistake, we will certainly correct. And we will post our findings. Thanks, again.

Salmon, we will be making an NBA announcement any day. Stay tuned.

Bulbus, thanks for the kind words. If we pick up any new NFL teams, we will announce.

Barry

TJordan522
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Any update on this?