PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Sam Bats

rjdgonebats
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know of, or have a 2010 all black Sam bat,with a diamond shaped decal located 12"'s from the knob end where the grain slope, pen dot should be.The decal is black laquered just as the finish of the bat is and would appear to have been placed there at the factory.Anybody with any knowledge of this?? I sure would like some input.Thank you

LWMM
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
It's the check the slope of the wood grain, in order to prevent bats from shattering.

This video explains it in more detail at the 2:07 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapr-FDqPzU

rjdgonebats
10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
LW, Thanks for the reply but It still doesnt answer the question as to why the Sam factory would cover the pen dot with a decal and then lacquer over the entire bat.You therefore cannot see the slope of the grain at all.

stlbats
10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Sounds like they failed to remove the sticker at the factory. They place the sticker on the bat before finishing so as to leave a natural unfinished spot so the ink dot can be seen.

Sorry if this is not what you were asking.

Jason

rjdgonebats
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Jason,
Sounds reasonable but I have also seen one with a gold diamond decal on it which was not covered over but could not see the bare area of the bat either.The bat has gold decals from Sam mine is silver. Dont know what that might have to do with it???

MLB_Authentic
10-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Is it a minor league bat? Could be a pro reject that was used for a minor leaguer instead.

LWMM
10-20-2010, 11:18 PM
LW, Thanks for the reply but It still doesnt answer the question as to why the Sam factory would cover the pen dot with a decal and then lacquer over the entire bat.You therefore cannot see the slope of the grain at all.

You're right, I read (i.e. skimmed) your first post far too quickly. Whoops!

rjdgonebats
10-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Definitely not a minor league bat.The only thing I can think of is it was made very early in the year. It appears after a time. Sam seemed to make only two toned bats,eg Natural handle(so the grain slope would not be an issue) and a black barrel for those players who prefer a black bat?? I cant say for sure but unless other collectors have seen all black sam bats from later in the year. I will have to go with this. I know from what others have said that Sam Bats is not a collector friendly Company.