PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Gibson to Auction Off Famous Home Run Bat

intheminors
10-19-2010, 04:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5704035

gorilla777
10-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?

Neal
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I am curious to see what the Gibson HR bat in particular fetches in this auction....not sure what sort of figure to guess?

Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?

kings418
10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Just got the catalog today and I can't wait to see what both jerseys go for. A 50k starting bid on the home run jersey should get things off to a good start.

FastLane80
10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
:looking for a body part I can live without: :p

Nice pieces and it's nice to see him opening up a bit. I remembered watching a recent Dodger/D'Backs game and seeing him go out of his way to sign a Dodger hat for a fan (had to climb up to get the hat/pen and to give them back). This is a far cry from where he was even a year ago. His new position may have something to do with that but whatever the inspiration may be, it's a pleasant sight.

gorilla777
10-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I got the catalog today as well.
The bat starts at 25k and usually they start at what the auction house thinks is a 25% or lower inherent value figure, so maybe we see 125k or so?
The helmet he wore, with a starting bid of 5k, is very sharp as well. It has a World Series sticker and nice notation on it from Gibson.
So maybe 250k with juice for the uniform, helmet and bat?

cjw
10-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Considering the history (greatest WS home run ever?), I would not be surprised if it hits 6 figures. Who knows?

Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.

trsent
10-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Gotta dispute the "greatest WS home run ever" idea. Great story, great shot but Game one....can't compare to Maz or Joe Carter's dinges to win their respective series in '60 and '93. As a Toronto boy- I got to go with Joe.

Didn't Joe win a game six?

Bill Mazeroski was a game seven.

Funny thing is I think when you consider most memorable home runs, Gibson's is more memorabilia to people than Joe's. The television and the drama of the whole situation made it special to many people.

No disrespect to Joe Carter, his home run is one of the tops but others are more memorable to most people.

Neal
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM

which is why I used a question mark .... Maz, Carter, Fisk, and Gibson, among others, are generally at the top of everyones list

To me, Gibson hobbling to home plate using a lighter bat due to his condition and hitting a walkoff shot off the best reliever at the time is waaaaay up there.

pjbmd
10-20-2010, 11:41 AM
i'm kind of partial to the DJ homerun off Kim in Game 4 WS 2001

Fnazxc0114
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought joe carters hr against mitch williams was the greatest one ever.

Fnazxc0114
10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
One thing cool about gibsons hr is it is my first hr memory of the world series. In fact it was the first WS that i can remember watching. So gibsons hr is up there, and who hasnt seen the video of him hobbling around the bases.

kudu
10-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Those are all great WS homers, but this one is by far my favorite and one of the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGktd6ymICA

FastLane80
10-20-2010, 11:17 PM
As a Dodger fan, it is one of the greatest home runs of all-time...even without my obvious bias. The drama (the injury), the scenario (under dogs) and the HOF pitcher he hit it off of.

You can argue till you're blue in the face whether or not it was THE greatest of all-time, world series...whatever. The fact that these artifacts exist outside of the hall of fame and are obtainable to those who have the means is exciting itself. How often does an undoubtedly authentic piece of baseball history come to auction from the man himself?

rj_lucas
10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
How often does an undoubtedly authentic piece of baseball history come to auction from the man himself?

My thoughts exactly. Where's Barry Halper when you need him? I'd love to see a well-heeled collector buy these items, then turn around and give them to the HOF, where they belong. There's memorabilia, and then there's history, and these items are history.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

FastLane80
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
My thoughts exactly. Where's Barry Halper when you need him? I'd love to see a well-heeled collector buy these items, then turn around and give them to the HOF, where they belong. There's memorabilia, and then there's history, and these items are history.

My thoughts exactly. I hope that Topps or any other company doesn't purchase these pieces to hack them up

godwulf
10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
i'm kind of partial to the DJ homerun off Kim in Game 4 WS 2001

Can it really be "the greatest" if it's only a temporary respite before the team it's hit for is eventually defeated?

cjclong
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
What auction is the Gibson home run bat being sold in?

mbrieve
10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
What auction is the Gibson home run bat being sold in?
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f50f9138#/f50f9138/276

karamaxjoe
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
These prices have to be records for a bat, jersey and helmet from a player during the past 40 years:

Helmet: $153,389.00
Jersey: $303,277.00
Bat: $575,912.00.....OMG

mbrieve
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
These prices have to be records for a bat, jersey and helmet from a player during the past 40 years:

According to this article, almost all of the items went to a father and son in Southern California:

http://www.freep.com/article/20101114/SPORTS02/101114012/1050/SPORTS02/Gibbys-88-World-Series-bat-goes-for-575K

bagbig
11-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I find it strange that is says "a portion" of the proceeds will go to Michigan State University. I thought all proceeds, I hope he is giving a decent portion(not 10%).

legaleagle92481
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM

For a bat it is second alltime to the Ruth first homer at the Original Yankee Stadium bat I believe si.com said.

mbrieve
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I find it strange that is says "a portion" of the proceeds will go to Michigan State University. I thought all proceeds, I hope he is giving a decent portion(not 10%).

Most of the articles discussing this auction have been very confusing and poorly written. If you look in the auction catalog, it is clear that the sale of the awards (WS trophy and WS MVP award) would have the proceeds donated.

In my opinion, thery're his items and he certainly can do with them whatever he wants. While he is keeping the majority of the profits, he didn't have to donate anything.

kudu
11-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Interesting article from Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Kirk-Gibson-s-88-World-Series-bat-sells-for-57;_ylt=Ao0Uc_pv67J3OVMGPjVQFLwRvLYF?urn=mlb-285477

Who has the ball? Is it really worth a million or more? :confused:

bagbig
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Most of the articles discussing this auction have been very confusing and poorly written. If you look in the auction catalog, it is clear that the sale of the awards (WS trophy and WS MVP award) would have the proceeds donated.

In my opinion, thery're his items and he certainly can do with them whatever he wants. While he is keeping the majority of the profits, he didn't have to donate anything.

I agree, he can do whatever he wants with his items. However, auctions get higher prices if they are advertised as an auction for a charity/foundation/etc, so I would hate to see it advertised as such and then give a very small portion to the university.

mbrieve
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I agree, he can do whatever he wants with his items. However, auctions get higher prices if they are advertised as an auction for a charity/foundation/etc, so I would hate to see it advertised as such and then give a very small portion to the university.
Again, did you read the actually auction description? It specifically identifies the pieces that the proceeds will go to the foundation:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f50f9138#/f50f9138/280

I can just about guarantee that the bat, jersey, and helmet prices realized were due to their historical value and not due to the fact that the buyers thought the proceeds were going to his foundation.

legaleagle92481
11-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Interesting article from Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Kirk-Gibson-s-88-World-Series-bat-sells-for-57;_ylt=Ao0Uc_pv67J3OVMGPjVQFLwRvLYF?urn=mlb-285477

Who has the ball? Is it really worth a million or more? :confused:

The ball faces the prove it problem. It won't go for a million because noone could ever prove IT was THE BALL.

kudu
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
The ball faces the prove it problem. It won't go for a million because noone could ever prove IT was THE BALL.
Why do you say that? I think it could be proven. Was the person that got the ball approached by someone with the Dodgers organization after the game to get the ball for Gibson? Maybe the person that caught the ball had a camera and took pictures holding the ball right after the game.

So who has the ball? And if proven, is it worth a million?