PDA

View Full Version : Game Issue Jersey Question

Klattsy
10-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi there,

this Drew Naylor Game Issue Jersey (http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillies-Authentic-Game-Issued-Jersey-Drew-Naylor-64-/280575379026?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4153988652#ht_500wt_1156) is up for auction.

I was wondering, why would the Phillies parent club issue an MLB game jersey to a player who has never played for the team? He is on their 40 man roster - is that why? Do they get given the whole kit and kaboodle once they reach the roster?

And just to confirm - 0063 is the cool base material, and what does the 0226 mean?

Also, where would one normally buy Game Issued jerseys? From the same place as game used or would one be harder to get then the other?

Thanks,
Mark.

trsent
10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi there,

this Drew Naylor Game Issue Jersey (http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillies-Authentic-Game-Issued-Jersey-Drew-Naylor-64-/280575379026?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4153988652#ht_500wt_1156) is up for auction.

I was wondering, why would the Phillies parent club issue an MLB game jersey to a player who has never played for the team? He is on their 40 man roster - is that why? Do they get given the whole kit and kaboodle once they reach the roster?

And just to confirm - 0063 is the cool base material, and what does the 0226 mean?

Also, where would one normally buy Game Issued jerseys? From the same place as game used or would one be harder to get then the other?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mark, many players have jerseys prepared for them that are never used because often they have jerseys ready for prospects they have in Spring Training, or maybe during the season if he is called up in September when the rosters expand or if there is a chance he will be called up during the season.

Most recently I have had Cubs jerseys of players who played in Spring Training but didn't stick with the team for whatever reason during the regular season but they still had many team issued jerseys ready if they made the team.

sox83cubs84
10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Mark, many players have jerseys prepared for them that are never used because often they have jerseys ready for prospects they have in Spring Training, or maybe during the season if he is called up in September when the rosters expand or if there is a chance he will be called up during the season.

Most recently I have had Cubs jerseys of players who played in Spring Training but didn't stick with the team for whatever reason during the regular season but they still had many team issued jerseys ready if they made the team.

One major example of this are the 1994 White Sox Michael Jordan unies made by Russell. The plan was to promote MJ when rosters expanded, but the strike finished that off. Any Russell 1994 game Chisox jersey is not a worn piece. He wore only the BP jersey in spring training and the unique Wilson black jersey (no 125th Anniversary patch) in the early April exhibition against the Cubs.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
I use to own a JD Closser 'Issued' jersey that was made for Closser's impending call up the previous season that never happened.

One thing I miss about Russell jerseys - at least for the Rockies - is home whites that actually were sent to the Rockies from Russell were easy to identify:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/rockiesbutton.jpg

The 'Cream' colored buttons with Colorado Rockies embossed in them made EXCLUSIVELY for the Rockies and only available on jerseys that came to the Rox from Russell.

Unfortunately, after the Majestic move, the Rockies sold a bunch of these BLANK BACKS off through their Dug Out stores and since Russell and the Rockies never had any 'set' pattern for Name Tags, Set Tags, etc (they varied all over the place even in the same season), it makes it almost impossible to determine 'fakes' from the real deal... That's why my Russell jerseys have Rockies LOAs with them!

- Chris

Klattsy
10-19-2010, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the help.

So these "issued" jersey's can still be brought from team stores?

Mark.

Klattsy
10-19-2010, 03:47 AM
BTW - Should this tag be fully sewn on if it is a genuine player issue? I was reading in another thread that they should be fully sewn, not just along the top.

Does anyone have a 2010 Phillies jersey similar?

Thanks,
Mark.