PDA

View Full Version : Is that Jays jersey really "game-worn"?

kingjammy24
08-03-2006, 01:13 PM
for a while now i've noticed individuals purchasing game-issued Blue Jays jerseys directly from the Jays and then re-selling them as game-worn while claiming they "don't have/have lost the COA". (big surprise.)
i would see a jersey, either via a dealer, Ebay, or auction house, being sold as "game worn" and would check against the Jay's master sales list and notice that specific jersey listed as "game ready". i know it was the same jersey in question because, unlike some teams, the Jays don't duplicate set numbers within the same year & style (per player). for a 2002 Delgado blue alternate jersey, for example, there was only ever 1 "set 2" produced. any subsequent 2002 Delgado blue alts would be labelled as set 3, 4, etc. this combination of year/style/set/size/player# manages to create a unique id for each specific jersey. (they only duplicated jerseys were those with spare-style tagging.)

for those interested, here is the master sales list (as of May 2005) directly from the Jays which shows whether a specific jersey was originally offered as a game-worn or game-issued. the list also includes information such as set number, patches, and size. you can see that each jersey is unique with no set numbers duplicated within a year & style for a given player.

http://www.royalsampler.com/jays/Blue2.xls

every time a Jays jersey comes up for sale and is missing the team COA, you should be able to check against this master list and see what it was originally sold as.

a few notes:

*beside each jersey, the Jays have used "GW" to denote game worn and "GR" to denote game-ready. if a jersey doesn't show either of these codes, it simply means they hadn't examined the jersey yet. ie: a jersey with no code could be either GW or GR.

*the list does not include jerseys sold prior to May 2005. (as they Jays sell a jersey, the remove it from the list). the list only includes all jerseys in stock as of May 2005 which was over 1600 at that time. if anyone has an earlier spreadsheet, i'd love to see it.

* the file is an Excel spreadsheet.

rudy.

indyred
08-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Great info, do any other teams keep records like this on there jerseys?

bigtime59
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
To further complicate matters, there was a load of 0062 tagged 2001 Jays jerseys sold at the National two years ago (Cleveland). I've seen several of these sold as "game used" to unsuspecting souls for major $$$. Like an idiot, I sold mine as "authentics" and didn't make nearly as much. Curse me and my damned ethics!
BTW, I kept a "Raoul Mondesi" jersey from that bunch...had custom sleeves, and everything...

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

kingjammy24
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Indy,

Steiner, which obtains Yankees and Mets jerseys directly from the teams, should be able to tell you the details of any particular jersey they've sold.
As well, MeiGray/Barry Meisel, which obtains Texas Rangers jerseys directly from the team as well as a ton of NHL, NFL, and NBA jerseys directly, are only too happy to let you know the details of any jersey they've sold. Prior to purchasing any 2002+ Texas Rangers jersey, I'd consult with Barry. Grey Flannel somewhat recently made the "error" of offering a "game-used" Rangers jersey that MeiGray confirmed was originally sold as "game issued".

Unfortunately those are the only ones that I know of.

Rudy.

BaseballGM
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Nice work Rudy - along with the comprehensive Blue Jays guide.

Kevin

ham1963
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
From what I understand MLB has told teams to stop giving out COA's. I know for a fact that the Reds and Braves have stop giving out COA's with the jerseys they sell.
John