PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of MLB Authentication program?

nationals2k9
10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Simple question: do you think the MLB authentication program is here to stay? In other words, can we as collectors feel good about items with an MLB hologram and know with relative confidence that it will mean something to own these items in 20-30 years? Sure, it has probably helped to get more folks involved in the hobby. It may also begin to direct some collectors into buying only items with the MLB sticker if it hasn't already. But do you all think this program will be a permanent fixture for MLB moving forward or do you think it's just a current trend to make another quick buck? I ask because I'm a bat guy by habit, but recently have had interest in g/u baseballs. I want to be sure that people will understand what the heck I have many years from now when I pull out an ordinary baseball with a little sticker on it. Thanks for any and all input!

joelsabi
10-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Simple question: do you think the MLB authentication program is here to stay? In other words, can we as collectors feel good about items with an MLB hologram and know with relative confidence that it will mean something to own these items in 20-30 years? Sure, it has probably helped to get more folks involved in the hobby. It may also begin to direct some collectors into buying only items with the MLB sticker if it hasn't already. But do you all think this program will be a permanent fixture for MLB moving forward or do you think it's just a current trend to make another quick buck? I ask because I'm a bat guy by habit, but recently have had interest in g/u baseballs. I want to be sure that people will understand what the heck I have many years from now when I pull out an ordinary baseball with a little sticker on it. Thanks for any and all input!

i think collectors have been swayed to go after items that have been authenticated on the day that the item was used. Its has definitely change the purchasing habit of collectors of current MLB players. Before this authentication program, there was no such authentication endorsed directly by MLB. If anything its setting the standards for authenticating professional league items with the NBA and NFL to follow suit. I think it's here to stay.

Will it oversaturate the amount game used baseballs available to fan? more than likely. Does the specificity of the description of the baseball become more important over time? most definitely.

nationals2k9
10-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Depends on the ball in question. Want a ball used in a game of significance? Good, we have a couple dozen of those meaning other people will also have balls from that game. Want a HR ball from your favorite player that has the inning, pitcher, number of guys on, etc... there's only 1 of those and arguably only about one way to verify it's legit and this is pretty much it.

Klattsy
10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
The fact that it is authenticated by MLB and not Joe Blows Card Store will help in the future. It's not like the name MLB is going to disappear from people's memories in the future. Just print out your COA before the system goes down :)

Mark.

BostonSportsFan
10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
In my opinion, as long as they are able to continue to add the pertinent info. regarding when, where, what the item was used for in a reasonable amount of time this program is not going anywhere. Perhaps if there was a program like this in place or similar 20 plus years ago or more, we would not see the overall blatant fraud that exist in the business today as it would make it much more difficult to doctor up items.

legaleagle92481
10-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Baseball is a business, a very large business. Its goal is to make as much money as possible. Memorabilia whether it be GU and/or autograohed goes for HUGE dollars and makes MLB alot of money so as long as it makes money it will stay as businesses don't typically cut out profitable components, such as a terriable business strategy.

joelsabi
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
here's an example of what can go wrong with MLB Authentication. when the authenticators do not clarify that it is THE actual milestone baseball versus a baseball from that milestone game. They do it consistently poor and collectors will get turned off especially is they become victims.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=38752

Fnazxc0114
10-20-2010, 12:51 PM
On ebay right now there is a kinsler all star game bp jersey with mlb hologram that is linked to ty wiggington. I dont put much stock in COA's, but i dang sure dont want to buy an item attributed to the wrong person.

Lokee
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Keep in mind this is all relevant to the Internet being around. I know this might sound stupid but if the internet is altered or shut down then what good is a jersey with a MLB hologram on it LOL when you cannot look up the number.

Infact I know none of you care and this is NOT a political forum but Obama signed a bill that gives the government authority to "shut off" the internet in the USA.

Feel free to google government shuts down internet.

lakeerie92
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Keep in mind this is all relevant to the Internet being around. I know this might sound stupid but if the internet is altered or shut down then what good is a jersey with a MLB hologram on it LOL when you cannot look up the number.

Infact I know none of you care and this is NOT a political forum but Obama signed a bill that gives the government authority to "shut off" the internet in the USA.

Jesus, there is no escaping right wing propaganda. Leave it in you conspiracy forums please, thousands of bills get shot down and this is one of them. Thank you the end.

yankees506
10-20-2010, 05:00 PM

wow thinking they will "shutdown" the internet is LOL indeed. :eek:

Lokee
10-20-2010, 07:02 PM
All I know is that it has been talked about and bills have been introduced. Other countries like China, Cuba, Egypt and Vietnam have had the internet shutdown or totally filtered so don't think it is impossible.

As I have always said the Democrats and Republicans are one in the same. It's like comparing the Packers to the Patriots different players but with the same goal to win and to make money :cool: