PDA

View Full Version : Displaying cracked or broken bats?

kylehess10
12-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I just made this display for a broken bat for under $2 in supplies so I thought I'd pass it along!

All you need is 2 storage hooks (the ones shaped in a "U") which you can get at Walmart for about 48 cents each, as well as a half-inch wide dowel which you can also get at Walmart for about 50 cents. First, cut the dowel down to make it about a foot long. Then, screw the storage hook into the end of the dowel; but make sure you drill a tiny hole first so when you screw it in the dowel doesn't snap down the middle. I then made a small hole on the shelf in my display case and hot-glued it into place. I used the other hook to simply screw it into the shelf (without any dowel). To make sure the handle doesn't roll around, I placed it inbetween the stoarge hook that's screwed directly to the shelf. I also added a photomatched picture of Casey Kotchman breaking this bat. And there ya go! A broken bat display for under $2! I have also made a nice display for helmets/hats that are exactly like the ones you see on eBay, but with just a couple dollars in supplies so I'll post that also if anybody wants to see it, so just let me know. Here's the finished display for the broken bat:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/DSC09988.jpg

ironmanfan
12-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Kyle, you are very resourceful; nicely done!

ROCKET
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
I currently have several bats that I want to display but I'm not sure how to go about showing off my cracked and broken bats.
I have 1 that is completely broken in two pieces and a few others that are cracked pretty good.
For the broken bat that I have, I used gaffer tape to piece it back together. Gaffer tape is awesome because it doesn't stick like duct tape and can easily be removed. I was also thinking of using the gaffer tape on the other bats to keep the crack from getting bigger. My only concern is that I like things in its original form, but at the same time I do realize that the cracks might continue to grow if I don't do anything about them.

My question for all of you here on GUU is how do you guys display your cracked or broken bats?