PDA

View Full Version : Bat Authentication

cjmedina1
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I have some bats that I want to send in but not sure who to go with .PSA or Mears.Please post or email me Thanks for you time:)

carliemedina3@sbcglobal.net

Carlie Medina III

dluengo21
12-01-2005, 12:33 AM
I have not had anything authenticated by MEARS, but I continue to read many posts from collectors who have found discrepancies on their items.It seems to me that your best bet would be to go with PSA, as I have not seen any negative feedback on their authentications on the forums and Vince Malta is regarded as one of the best. Just my opinion, but MEARS seems to be on every item lately and there seems to be quite a few errors that have been reported on this site that should not be. Maybe they have gotten too big too fast and are being overworked and items are slipping thru the cracks.

cjmedina1
12-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the reply.I have read many post about Mears.Some good and Bad.I have no question about my bats.It just seems if you have a coa from a big time company you can get more money for your stuff.I have 2 bats of Mark Mcgwire.One is a 1986 sign gamer.This bat has tons a pine tar and has the correct markings for a 1986 bat.My other bat is a 2000 sign gamer.This bat has the most pine tar and game use from any Mcgwire bats that I have seen.If some one can help me on how to post some pics I can do that:D

ChrisCavalier
12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Hello Carlie-

There are some instructions on how to post images in the FAQ section of the forums. Here is the link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_post_images

In addition, if you would like more information, the FAQ section can hopefully provide more perspective. Alternatively, you can always post any additional questions you may have on the forum and there are people who will be glad to help whenever possible.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

Rboitano
12-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Id like to see some pics of those Mcgwire gamers, they sound great.

ghostkid
12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Carlie,

I feel that both PSA/DNA and MEARS are good choices for authenticating your game used bats. Some bats in my collection have been authenticated by the PSA/DNA folks, while others have been authenticated by MEARS. For the vintage stuff, It seems to me that PSA/DNA primarily specializes in Louisville Slugger bats, while the MEARS team is spending a great deal of time ucovering new information about pro model bats of the non-traditional variety (Hanna, Zinn Beck, etc). In summary, I believe either would be a good choice for your bats.

dluengo21
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Vince Malta is regarded as one of the best.

Thanks Chris for making the change for me. I accidently put Jimmy Spence when I meant to put in Vince Malta as I know that Spence only does autographs. It was late last night and I'm getting old and forgetful.As this was my first post I am just getting used to the format. I just got home from work and I do not have internet access from my job. I now know that I have the ability to make corrrections to my posts. That is an easy feature to use. Thanks again.

beni0016
12-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Both MEARS and PSA are great in my opinion. I personally have a tremendous amount of ferspect for Dave Bushing and faith in his expertise when it comes to bats. I have not dealt with Dave alot but the times I have have been great experiences and I have been impressed with his insight.

However, for my money John Taube is the best out there. He has helped me personally with many bats that I have questions about and has always been willing to provide a thoughful second opinion as well as info regarding H&B records. Again, when it comes to bats I don't think that you can go wrong with either so you may want to check prices but I can tell you from personal experience that John Taube (PSA) is one of the best guys in the hobby.

Regards,
Andy

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 07:55 PM
86 Mac bat full size shot

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Mcgwire 1986 bat knob with pine tar

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Autograph detail.I belive this is a vintage autograph.There is a 1986 minoe league jersey that autograph and a team letter.They look almost the same.I would only guess that this could have been a minor league bat.Not sure if any experts can comment

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Back of the bat.As you can see there is a piece is missing.Not sure why.There is blue marks as you can see

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Side view

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
This is the top end of the bat.It has Mac as you can see.

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:08 PM
And know the bat knob.It has the correct marks 265b 351 6.And also has Mac written on the bottom.

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I tried to get the Bat markings its to hard to see with the camera.The guy I bought it from he told me he thought if he color in the bat it might help.As you can see it does not look good and he stoped.Its a good thing in my eyes.

I will post my other bat pics from my Mcgwire bats.Please give me your honest opinons.Feel free to email or post and yes this bat can be sold if the right money is offerd.Here is my email carliemedina3@sbcglobal.net .

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Here is my 2000 sign gamer.A full shot of the bat

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Here is a pic of the bat handle.Tons of pine tar!

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Here is a shot of the bat label.Again tons of pine tar!

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Here is a pic f the front barrel.As you can see it has Mcgwire auto and ball marks.

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Back of the bat.

cjmedina1
12-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Bat knob details