PDA

View Full Version : signing game used jerseys

homerun boy
08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I purchased a game used jersey and wanted to get it signed. I was told that serious collectors feel that the signing of the jersey is not desirable. Could someone give me some feed back on this. I thought the player signing the jersey would add some value to it. Thanks, Mike

suave1477
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello Mike,

This discussion has been discussed many times before I would suggest for you to do a serch on this forum and you can get a better idea of how the majortiy of the members feel about it.

Personally I like to get some of mine autographed to me it does add value, The jerseys I dont like to get autographed if it has major significance to it, such as breaking a record while wearig it or something of that nature. If it is just a plain season Jersey then I think adding the Auto is nice.

Please do remember it is usually more appealing to collectors when the Autograph is done neatly and a decent size not to big where it draws atention away from the actual Jersey.

sportscentury
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Mike,

Some collectors like it/prefer it, some can't stand it, some insist on it. As long as it doesn't bleed, I'm all for it, but the point is that it varies quite a bit. Then there was Barry Halper who needed his jerseys signed on the inside under the neck collar, which I always thought was darn weird. Good luck.

Reid

autographedgamers
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Mike,
I am all for getting game used items signed and personally prefer them signed. That is provided a few conditions. The signature has to be in a good place. It also has the be clear, bright and permanent. (most likely you have to pay the player via an autograph signing to get what you want) If signed poorly the item has less appeal to me. I have attached a pic of the back of my Miguel Cabrera 2003 World Series Jersey which I think came out pretty well.

rob

Nathan
08-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I can sum the hobby up like this (and this goes multiple times over for hockey collectors, who are notoriously finicky for this).

If you have a gamer signed, you alienate scores more potential buyers/bidders than the added signature could attract.

GameBats
08-01-2006, 09:09 PM
The few jerseys I own are signed on the inner tail. I wouldn't purchse a signed game used jersey if it was in any other location.

homerun boy
08-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies, this jersey is Rod Brind'amour's rookie jersey,I'm glad I asked before I did anything. Mike

sportscentury
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I can sum the hobby up like this (and this goes multiple times over for hockey collectors, who are notoriously finicky for this).

If you have a gamer signed, you alienate scores more potential buyers/bidders than the added signature could attract.

Nathan,

Do you think so? That may be. I have perceived things differently. I know a lot of collectors who will not buy a jersey if it is not already autographed because they don't want to go to the trouble of getting it signed themselves (if it is even possible to get it signed). One thing is certain - collectors do vary quite a bit in their preferences.

Reid

mr.miracle
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I too would have gone the same way as Reid. I would think that in many cases the added autograph would attract more potential buyers than it would alienate. It does go to show that people have various opinions on autographs on game used items.

Brett

indyred
08-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I prefer unsigned. It almost seems it's more rare to find them unsigned. Especially with MLB auctions, in most cases you can only get the game jerseys signed.....I just don't think fabric is a good surface for autographs. Just way too many varibles on signed gamers. How does the sig look, is it going to bleed or fade, is it in a bad spot, is it broken, is it thin and wispy. I think a game used jersey is special enough and it doesn't need anything else........

suave1477
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I also agree with reid as I also said earlier I like my jerseys autographed as long as it it doesnt have any significance and is just a regular season jersey.

Think of it like this it would be pretty cool to own a Mickey Mantle Jersey autographed by him.

Swoboda4
08-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Prefer unsigned. But if you had to have it signed-place the signature discretely,especially if the jersey is historically significant,like member sethswirsky's 69 Mets Seaver WS home pinstripe. Check the link below for his website which contains a video of Seaver signing this jersey.

http://www.seth.com/images/collection_pages/memorabilia/1_03.jpg
http://www.seth.com/coll_memorabilia_01.html

Nathan
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Reid,

Baseball is a different thing because most of the jerseys display little wear (particularly in comparison to a hockey jersey).

I will say that hockey collectors are usually more neutral on an autograph that is either on the back of the crest or on the fight strap. If you head over to gameworn.net (hockey primarily), you'll find a ton of old threads with names like "How do I remove autographs from jerseys?"

icollectDCsports
08-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Prefer unsigned. But if you had to have it signed-place the signature discretely,especially if the jersey is historically significant,like member sethswirsky's 69 Mets Seaver WS home pinstripe. Check the link below for his website which contains a video of Seaver signing this jersey.

http://www.seth.com/images/collection_pages/memorabilia/1_03.jpg
http://www.seth.com/coll_memorabilia_01.html

I wasn't going to comment in this thread, because I've discussed my preference against having game worn jerseys signed in the several other threads on this topic, but this photo is an example of EXACTLY what I've discussed in the past. If a baseball jersey is to be signed, it should be down on the tail next to the tags. It's the best of both worlds: it appeals to those who like autographs and it doesn't detract from the portion of the jersey that was visible on the field. PLEASE, for all the dealers out there getting modern jerseys signed before they put them on the market, take this example and suggestion to heart.

RyanZimmerman11
06-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I know this is an old thread, and I hope I don't step on any toes by adding to it....but I had a few questions and a statement.

I do like the idea of having a baseball gamer signed on the tail by the tags. It is discrete.

However, what are the thoughts about having the player sign within the number patch on the back of the jersey?

That had my plan all along for my gamers. Is that considered "taboo" amongst this forum of collectors?

Opinions welcome.

Jags Fan Dan
06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, I only collect Mark Brunell, and it has been my experience that he generally signs his game used jerseys before they go anywhere (the 2 I have are both signed), on the back #8, usually vertically on the upper left hand part of the 8. For me, I like that they are signed, but did not really have a choice. I have even seen some of Brunell's jersey cards with snipets of autograph on the swatch.

In my opinion, it would be really cool if all players would sign all of their gamers in one specific spot, and not sign any other jerseys in the same spot (this is not the case with Brunell, he has signed a lot of jerseys in the same fashion as the gamers I own and have seen). That way, you would know for sure that stuff was legitimate without having to rely on opinions and guesses.