PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions regarding bat

MJB14
09-29-2010, 08:13 AM
I recently picked up a game used bat that had a taped handle and at the top of the handle some of the tape due to drying out over the past 30+ years is delaminating. My question is should I leave as is or try to restick the tape with some sort of adhesive that would be completely concealed once the tape is back in its original place? Please let me know your thoughts on this. All opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

camarokids
09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
I recently picked up a game used bat that had a taped handle and at the top of the handle some of the tape due to drying out over the past 30+ years is delaminating. My question is should I leave as is or try to restick the tape with some sort of adhesive that would be completely concealed once the tape is back in its original place? Please let me know your thoughts on this. All opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Use just a tad of Elmer's glue.

godwulf
09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I've done this several times, and see no reason not to. Any kind of liquid adhesive would work, I guess, but I normally use some sort of "super glue".

I sensed, though, that you were asking, not so much how do I do this, as whether I should. In the same way that collectors differ on whether or not cracked or even broken bats should be repaired - and, if so, to what extent.

I see even less reason to agonize over something like loose tape than I do to worry whether glueing together a broken bat makes it somehow "less authentic". Presumably, the tape wasn't coming loose like that when it was being used; you're just "repairing" something that has happened to the bat over the course of years, long after the player ever held the thing. If some previous owner put a big sticker or some tape on a bat, or scrawled something on it, would any of us have qualms about removing that post-use detritus?