PDA

View Full Version : Denver receiver McKinley found dead

sox83cubs84
09-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Broncos WR Kenny McKinley was found dead in his home earlier Monday. No cause of death was announced. A rookie in 2009, McKinley was put on injured reserve this season.

Dave Miedema

LastingsMilledge85
09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Suicide. Second tragedy in recent years the Broncos have had to cope with.

sox83cubs84
09-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Suicide. Second tragedy in recent years the Broncos have had to cope with.

Affirmative, Lastings...ESPN Radio reported the suicide as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Also mentioned on Jason Smith's national ESPN All Night radio show was the fact that McKinley was the top receiver in South Carolina Gamecocks history.

Dave Miedema

camarokids
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Affirmative, Lastings...ESPN Radio reported the suicide as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Also mentioned on Jason Smith's national ESPN All Night radio show was the fact that McKinley was the top receiver in South Carolina Gamecocks history.

Dave Miedema

Wonder what was wrong? The guy has the world by the _ _ _ _ _ , playing in the NFL. Maybe woman troubles? Don't know....

Any wagers on how it will take for someone to hawk the poor guys autograph on ebay???

camarokids
09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I searched ebay for "Kenny McKinley Autograph" and get 64 auctions.

Then I searched just his name and get 384 auctions.....

LastingsMilledge85
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Wonder what was wrong? The guy has the world by the _ _ _ _ _ , playing in the NFL. Maybe woman troubles? Don't know....

Any wagers on how it will take for someone to hawk the poor guys autograph on ebay???

Just because you are a NFL player doesn't make you always so financially secure and things like that depending on what the contract. If you like football it is a dream job, nevertheless he died too young and that is not easy to recover from. Best of luck to the family and team.

camarokids
09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I bet he loved sports and football. Regardless of the size of his contract, I still think he had life made. Getting paid to play a game would be pretty sweet.

No matter what problems he may have had, it's no excuse for killing himself. A pretty selfish and cowardly act!

You only hurt those that love you. I feel bad for his family!

dcgreg25
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I bet he loved sports and football. Regardless of the size of his contract, I still think he had life made. Getting paid to play a game would be pretty sweet.

No matter what problems he may have had, it's no excuse for killing himself. A pretty selfish and cowardly act!

You only hurt those that love you. I feel bad for his family!

Hard to judge a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason to depression...a sad situation all the way around.

sox83cubs84
09-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Hard to judge a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason to depression...a sad situation all the way around.

dcgreg, you are right on! I have been diagnosed as having clinical depression, and, while I've never made an attempt to actually take my own life, I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge that I've thought about it on a number of occasions.

Dave Miedema

Dewey2007
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Greg, well said. I lost one of my best friends to suicide last December. He was more depressed then we knew and a few days before he took his life he made a comment similar to McKinley about killing himself. We just thought he was joking too. A very sad situation all around for the Broncos and the players family and friends.

camarokids
09-22-2010, 06:15 PM

I am not judging the man, was only judging the act of suicide. Suicide is a easy way out. Life is too short as it is to kill yourself!

Also, I was trying to say it is hard for me to understand why he would take his own life. I think he had the world in front of him being so young and a professional athlete.

mariner_gamers
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I am not an expert on McKinley nor do I plan on becoming one. Does anyone know if he suffered concussions/head trauma while in high school or college? Scientists are linking more and more of the issues affecting football players to previous head traumas. I believe it may someday spell the end of what we know today as organized football. Literally it may have to go to a flag system if they cannot keep brains from getting damaged. Depression, ALS and Parkinson's are now being directly linked to repeated head trauma. They have even pieced together multiple head traumas Lou Gehrig suffered as the possible cause of his demise. This is scary stuff and as athletes get stronger and faster it is becoming more and more prevalent at much earlier ages. I am having a harder and harder time justifying a sport I love to watch(NFL) because of all the horrific things happening to its players.

dcgreg25
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I am not judging the man, was only judging the act of suicide. Suicide is a easy way out. Life is too short as it is to kill yourself!

Also, I was trying to say it is hard for me to understand why he would take his own life. I think he had the world in front of him being so young and a professional athlete.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Below is a link to a Denver Post article by Woody Paige addressing the question of "why".I am not a Woody Paige fan necessarily but it's worthwhile read IMHO.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

camarokids
09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Below is a link to a Denver Post article by Woody Paige addressing the question of "why".I am not a Woody Paige fan necessarily but it's worthwhile read IMHO.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

No problem Greg. That is the problem with forums, text messages and email, it is hard to always understand what someone is trying to say. Also hard to express your thoughts so they are understood as intended by others.

sox83cubs84
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
The Broncos wore an "11" memoriam helmet decal for McKinley in today's game. The team is still contemplating whether or not to add a memoriam patch to the jerseys.

Dave Miedema