PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's Game Worn jersey collection mother load?!

MikeM
09-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Holy smokes!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150495815483

I put in a best offer of $100...wish me luck guys. :D

Incredible collection.

spartakid
09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow, simply amazing.:eek:

Lokee
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
It was listed last night for 72,000 looks like his price came down :o

kudu
09-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Holy smokes!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150495815483

I put in a best offer of $100...wish me luck guys. :D

Incredible collection.

Did you really put in an offer of $100?

athletics61
09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Mark last year and he showed me his collection. These jerseys are absolutely stunning to see. Many of the jerseys are just pounded with use. I am certain the white #38 Tenace is the one I once owned.

As far as I am concerned, I do not think you will ever see another collection of vintage A's jerseys like this again in private hands. I would have to cash in my 401k to acquire something like this. I wish I could.

Don

MikeM
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Did you really put in an offer of $100?

No way. I was just kidding.
I would never insult the owner of that collection with an offer like that.

That's an amazing collection!

PwKw13
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I would have to cash in my 401k to acquire something like this.

The shipping is no slam dunk either!

dcgreg25
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
It is certainly an interesting approach to selling his collection. As a fellow team collector, I am surprised you do not see these types of auctions on ebay more often. I would love the chance to acquire a team collection of this quality. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone else seen team collections like this come up for sale? My guess is he ends up selling the collection out in chunks but it is a good way to advertise.

karamaxjoe
09-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I believe that's Mark Weimerskirch's collection (aka Moustache Gang). He did say he was getting out of this hobby and devoting his time to much more important things.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=31337&page=2

gingi79
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
$65k in Suriname would change the lives of tens of thousands of people. I can only hope I one day will be so thoughtful and unselfish to sell my prized collection to make the world a better place.

Juice by You, Mark.

flaco1801
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
im surprised the oakland team hasnt made this purchase... chump change to them considering what they pay these jokers....

genius
09-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I wish teams were more active in the g/u market, would be great to know that your items have been sent "home" and better still if they would be displayed so that you could still see them! This A's collection would be amazing in the club at the old Oakland Coliseum, seems like it would enhance the fan experience as well. And, absolute chump change for them is correct!

prichmond
09-21-2010, 11:05 PM
looks like it sold. Any idea who and how much? Just down with my wife to justify making offer. was not meant be.

legaleagle92481
09-22-2010, 11:59 AM
looks like it sold. Any idea who and how much? Just down with my wife to justify making offer. was not meant be.

The listing ended it does not say it sold. At that price in this economy it will be tough to find a buyer. He will probably have to sell it piece by piece or in smaller lots. My guess is he pulled it to consign it to an auction house or because he got alot of interest on individual jerseys and now is going to break it up and sell it. Or he changed his mind about selling.

MikeM
09-24-2010, 02:56 AM
I wish teams were more active in the g/u market, would be great to know that your items have been sent "home" and better still if they would be displayed so that you could still see them! This A's collection would be amazing in the club at the old Oakland Coliseum, seems like it would enhance the fan experience as well. And, absolute chump change for them is correct!
If you're lucky enough to make it into the players area of leading to the locker room, right next to the office of longtime equipment manager Steve Vucinich, there's a really nice collection of jerseys and trophies.

Some of the earlier jerseys are reproductions, but they are still beautiful nonetheless.

Here are some shots I took of that area from the Fanfest locker room tour in 2008.

RJB44
09-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I am surprised that the team's display (in the locker room area) has "reproductions". Would they not have originals? They are the "ultimate" source, even more so then the player himself. I would think that the A's retain historical items, especially from a particular era (championship). The fact that Steve V. has been there so long and was actually part of that era is even more puzzling.

I remember seeing a photo in the 1985 Yankees yearbook of longtime equipment manager Pete S. opening a trunk of vintage Yankee jerseys. I wonder how many teams do retain old jerseys. I know that many went south (minor leagues) after use, at least 70s and 80s era. Actually this can lead to a whole new thread….like what is a team’s policy on getting equipment back? How did all these “originals” actually make it to the hobby, at least back in the day.

MikeM
09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I am surprised that the team's display (in the locker room area) has "reproductions". Would they not have originals? They are the "ultimate" source, even more so then the player himself. I would think that the A's retain historical items, especially from a particular era (championship). The fact that Steve V. has been there so long and was actually part of that era is even more puzzling.
There could be a myriad of reasons.
It could be that when the Haas family (or others) sold they team, they kept some of these items in their possession.

It could be that this isn't seen to the public (in most cases) so they have them in a different location.

I know during that same fanfest they had a traveling exhibit of many of the A's items from the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. This included Dave Stewart's Ty Cobb's 1927 jersey with the A's, Connie Mack's mask, McGwire's bat, Mike Warren's no hitter cap, Rickey's cleats, Dave Stewart's 1989 world series away jersey for being MVP, Catfish's perfect game cap, Steinbach's 88 all star game bat, Hateberg's bat from the 20 wins in a row, and so on...