PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins Jersey Experts, Help please.

gingi79
09-18-2010, 05:42 PM
eBay item # 290475717595

So one of my true White Whales, a jersey I have been looking for since 1993 just popped up on eBay with a team letter. At first glance, it looked exactly like the jersey I have been searching for. The letter lined up with what the jersey appeared to be. The numbers were correct for the year, it has correct white "W" Wilson sleeve logos and the name font is correct size and shape. The jersey was trimmed on the bottom so there was no tail tagging to verify. I sent an offer as I was incredibly excited and it was accepted. I started to look for photos for possible matches and that's why I am posting now.

After looking over the photos closer, I now wonder if in my desire to finally get a shirt I have searched for almost daily for 17 years, I didn't do due diligence before buying.

The jersey is a 1993 Miami Dolphins Aqua O.J. McDuffie rookie jersey. Because it is a closed item, I can't post a link or photos but it is item # 290475717595

So here is what I know. McDuffie was drafted in 1993. He only wore this style jersey in his rookie season. From 1990 to 1993, every Dolphins jersey I have seen as well as photos on Getty, show the Dolphins wearing a J.R. patch on the right sleeve in the stripes. The photos in the auction don't appear to show it (I emailed the seller to ask if it was there and just not showing up in his photos) The Dolphins stopped wearing the patch in 1994 but they also switched to sewn on numbers and had the NFL 75th Anniversary patch on the shoulder. They have had sewn numbers since. Therefore, it can only be a 1993 jersey. While the letter is signed by Equipment Manager Bob Monica, we all know how those can be faked. So can someone please tell me:

1) Have you ever seen a 1993 Dolphins jersey WITHOUT the J.R. patch? If so, do you have photos?

2) Did the Dolphins have year tags in all of their 1993 jerseys?

3) Does anyone have a 1993 or later McDuffie and did he trim his jerseys?

4) Does anyone have a team letter that looks like this one?

5) Any feedback after looking at the jersey is appreciated.

I know some of you have great Dolphins collections. Please tell me in your opinion if this jersey matches known exemplars or if it looks like a custom job or retail authentic. My excitement is being tempered by my lack of knowledge and I truly want this jersey to be authentic as advertised but until someone with more info can eliminate my concerns, I worry I may have thrown away my money on a wish instead of real gamer. Thanks for your help!

LWMM
09-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290475717595

gingi79
09-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Since it's on top, let me update quickly.

The seller "Steve" did extensive research and sent extra pics which show the J.R. patch was removed by the team. There is an outline of the patch and green thread remains under the cuff. Additionally, the cuffs were not available on retail authentics, they are the white cuffed spandex only available on team issued jerseys. Store bought jerseys had no cuffs.

It is my belief that based upon the facts shown, this jersey is exactly as advertised. I would also recommend the seller as he went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable with the jersey. He was very professional and honest. I sincerely hope to deal with him again on a future purchase.

I now eagerly await the arrival of a White Whale. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free to post or email me at hobbes716@aol.com

LWMM
09-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Since it's on top, let me update quickly.

The seller "Steve" did extensive research and sent extra pics which show the J.R. patch was removed by the team. There is an outline of the patch and green thread remains under the cuff. Additionally, the cuffs were not available on retail authentics, they are the white cuffed spandex only available on team issued jerseys. Store bought jerseys had no cuffs.

It is my belief that based upon the facts shown, this jersey is exactly as advertised. I would also recommend the seller as he went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable with the jersey. He was very professional and honest. I sincerely hope to deal with him again on a future purchase.

I now eagerly await the arrival of a White Whale. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free to post or email me at hobbes716@aol.com

Glad to hear it---congrats on the purchase!

hockeytigers
09-20-2010, 07:03 PM
This must be your lucky week!

There's another one on ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/OJ-MCDUFFIE-GAME-USED-WORN-MIAMI-DOLPHINS-JERSEY-LOA-/110588775449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf9acc19

gingi79
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
This must be your lucky week!

There's another one on ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/OJ-MCDUFFIE-GAME-USED-WORN-MIAMI-DOLPHINS-JERSEY-LOA-/110588775449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf9acc19

Sheesh, when it rains it pours man. I tell ya.

The seller has had some truly amazing dolphins jerseys come up for sale this year. I also think his opening prices and market value are usually skewed away from reality and towards hopefulness in recovering initial investment.

For example: My rookie jersey just sold for half what his 2000 opening bid is. Jim Yackel sold an Aqua one from 2000 in 2004 for $300 after months of sitting on his site at $350. The eBay jersey is one of OJ's last (He retired in 2001 and didn't play with the Fish that season) but I think this comes down to the worth/value matrix:

How much is the jersey worth to me versus how much is the market value for resale?

Maybe I am wrong but I'd say resale is around $250-$300. So I am sure the seller is betting on "It's priceless to me, I'll pay double retail for it" but if it has no bids, I may just send an offer his way to have a matching set for my new house. :D