PDA

View Full Version : American memorabilia

jtnatalierica
09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I just bid on a couple Notre Dame football jerseys. Of the three I had bid on, none had any bids. As soon as I put in the bids, each at seperate times, another bid came right in. I wouldn't bid on any again and no one else upped the bid after the second, which outbid me. Is there something going on with this company? I'm not bidding on their crap anymore. I think they shill bid it up. They're a complete joke. Never again, and lets expose the a**h***s. Please remark if you have had problems and encourage others to stay away.

skier14
09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I have heard of, and know many of the problems with American Memorabilia, but this I have never had happen before or heard of.

I have bid a few times on their items, but I had photomatched the items, so I was sure of authenticity, so I have never had any problems with their site, although I do know the issues.

I have never heard of American Memorabialia shill bidding.

That is just me, maybe someone else could share something different.

trsent
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Maybe hidden reserves?

solarlottry
09-17-2010, 12:52 AM
They have hidden reserves and it plainly states on their website that they reserve the right to bid up any item to that reserve. It is kinda like shill bidding i guess but they run the risk of they themselves being the winning bidder. If you look thru all the "rules" on their site you will find all that info.

joelsabi
09-17-2010, 01:11 AM
They have hidden reserves and it plainly states on their website that they reserve the right to bid up any item to that reserve. It is kinda like shill bidding i guess but they run the risk of they themselves being the winning bidder. If you look thru all the "rules" on their site you will find all that info.

It's rule #9. It's up to every bidder to know the rules that you are agreeing upon in order to bid in their auction.

9. Reserve Auctions
Unless explicitly stated otherwise by AMI, each Lot is being sold with reserve as a reserve auction. These terms are applicable to all reserve auctions. AMI and seller reserve the right to withdraw any property before and during the sale of such property. The seller also reserves the right to reject any and all bids for any reason. The reserve price may not be disclosed. All bids are raised in ten percent (10%) increments and AMI, at its sole and complete discretion, may reject a nominal bid advance. AMI reserves the right to place a bid on any Lot on behalf of the seller up to the amount of the reserve, if any. AMI will not specifically identify bids placed on behalf of the seller.

Jags Fan Dan
09-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Rule #10: There are no rules.

matt
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
If you watch ami auctions, you will see that the number of bids is almost always even. It stays at zero till you bid, then immediately the system bids again to try and get you up to the reserve. This has happened every time I try to bid here. The only time you see an odd number of bids is when you are past the reserve in my opinion.

I have spoken to several consignors to ami who do respect the place, but it seems to run on cheap opening bids and high reserves. Many, many items move from one auction to the next at am. Still, there is some good stuff there! They are clear about their rules so I have no issue. Caveat emptier.

Matt

Mulligans
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I have been consigning with AMI for quite a while and it has been a real good experience. I have also bought many items from them, but you need to be extremely cautious of what you are buying from any of the Auction Houses. No Auction House goes without blame! I listed an Item on AMI that I recently won from Grey Flannel and it was rejected by AMI?

With AMI, I consign my item (most of my items are authenticated by NFL, MLB, etc.). I was able to negotiate a great fee and as soon as my items sells the cash automatically goes into my checking account and then I ship the item out. I do my own listings, post my own pictures etc. If anything their E-mail Communication absolutely SUCKS! If you want something done it needs to be done over the phone and then they will give you all the time in the world! There is no question that they appreciate the business and the system works pretty well.

Buying is a different story......Because the AMI system is so easy to use as a seller, I think it becomes the dumping ground for all of the "Questionable items" so BUYER BEWARE! Having said that, there are tons of incredible deals on Great Authentic Memorabilia on AMI.

Now regarding reserves etc. I haven't used them, but as I understand (AMI explained the process to me) They are allowed by law to bid for you up to $500. That is why you constantly see items coming back up for auction because they are bidding automatically as dictated by the seller and the item never sells.

At the end of the day you get to decide, but I have been happy so far with most of what they do.