PDA

View Full Version : Barry Larkin 1995 Road Jersey

joelsabi
09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Members,

As many of you are aware there was a thread concerning a 1995 Barry Larkin jersey that was deleted last Saturday. The thread was deleted because it was started by a banned member, which is against forum rules.

Following the emergence of the thread, the original seller of the jersey immediately took the jersey back and refunded the buyer in full.

The information contained in this thread however provided educational value for Reds collectors, jersey collectors, and Larkin collectors alike. Not all Game Used Universe members had the opportunity to view this information, analyze it or even argue it. So, after discussion amongst the admin staff, we have agreed to re-initialize this thread and will continue to facilitate the information sharing on this topic.

The jersey in question is a Barry Larkin Cincinnati Reds Road jersey from 1995, his MVP year.

Here are the six observations that were given about the jersey:

1) The “11” on the front isn’t properly placed on the jersey. In the Getty photos, the second “1” should appear to be under that second “C”. In the jersey in question the same digit is well to the left of it, under that first “N”.

2) The first “1” of that front “11” ideally should appear between the first “I” and “N” in CINCINNATI on the front of the jersey. It shouldn’t make contact, vertically speaking, with the first “C” if you were to follow a perfectly placed vertical pinstripe connecting the two.

3) Regarding the last two letters on the front (the second “T” and the finishing “I”)…in every photo I have seen of him from the ’95 season, the vertical bars of those finely made professional jerseys appear to be parallel to each other as they sit side by side.

4) The “A” in Cincinnati is symmetrical in the Getty photos, and on the jersey in question it is angled on the right side, which doesn't appear to be authentic. It is a different style of font completely.

5) On the back of the jersey, “1” of the 11 is pretty much directly under the “A” in the Getty photo. The jersey starts well outside that “1”.

6) On the back of the jersey: The “K” above the second “1” seems to start inside before the second “1” (between the 11), vertically speaking. On the Getty photo showing the back of his jersey, the second “1” starts before the “K”.

zillla
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I see the picture at the bottom of Ripken with Larkin that sent chills up my spine.

1995 was a big year for Cal Ripken. Several years ago I purchased a game used 1995 Ripken jersey just like the one in the picture that I sent in for authentication and came back as not a game jersey. I was told it was a salesman sample that Russell made lots of and the jersey was altered. As I am looking at this Larkin and reading the possible issues, could this be a salesman sample as this is a Russell like my Ripken and also from 1995.

AWA85
09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Want to take the time to thank everyone involved in helping with this Barry Larkin jersey. I consider myself a very experienced and knowledgeable Cincinnati Reds collector, but this was one experience that caught me completely off guard.

One of the most important aspects of this Larkin situation really centers about cleaning up the hobby. With high dollar items and large amounts of time and attachment invested in our items, there really isn't the need to worry about feelings or friends. When I first read the initial thread calling out my most cherished item, I did not think about the tone or the jokes within the thread but the matter of my prized possession being questioned. This site has provided the help and knowledge and needs to continue to help clean up the hobby.

As many of you have commented or emailed me to ask about the situation, Rob has been extremely professional and refunded my the jersey in whole. He was helpful and was willing to come up with a resolution instantly. I commend him and Authentic Gamers for all of the effort he put in on the Larkin jersey.

The one question I have as I continue to learn about the hobby, is where items like this come from? Not only the item, but the team letters and all the bells and whistles that come with it.

Thank you to Rob, those that have posted on the board, the author of the thread that initially caught my most cherished item, and GUU for providing the resources and leaving them up for all to learn from.

Thank you,
GO REDS!!!

jgoldstein2000
09-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I have the same question... where does all the fake merchandise come from. Is it really that profitable to create fake jerseys AND documentation? What motivates people to pollute this wonderful game and its memories with BS?

Dewey2007
09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
I have the same question... where does all the fake merchandise come from. Is it really that profitable to create fake jerseys AND documentation? What motivates people to pollute this wonderful game and its memories with BS?

Not sure where it all comes from but it can be profitable when sold to unknowing buyers. Luckily this forum has helped to educate collectors but it still happens. I'm sure we all have run into this problem at one time or another. I know I have but luckily I was able to get my money back each time and I am glad that it all worked out in the end for AWA85 too.

What motivates people to do this: money, greed, nothing better to do with their lives and it will continue as long as someone can make a buck.

zillla
09-19-2010, 06:41 AM
AWA85, dont ever buy gamer Reds jerseys without checking with Diamond Sports near Cincinatti. Mark Fugate owns it and can tell you that there were many Reds road blanks from 1995 that mysteriously became "game used" Larkin jerseys from his MVP season. I am not saying this is one except if you are looking to tie the one you had I think Mark Fugate can help.

What I am trying to do is tie these together with the Ripkens from the same year of 1995. Here's another on eBay with questionable script and tagging that looks right. I was thinking salesman samples but since this script is wrong I am thinking this came from a blank also.
Cal Ripken Jr. 1995 Game Used Autographed Jersey - eBay (item 330464934021 end time Sep-24-10 09:03:51 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-1995-Game-Used-Autographed-Jersey-/330464934021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf13eb885)

If anyone knows Orioles expert Mark Sutton, maybe he can tie these together. They are all Russell jerseys so again not sure if this is a coincedence.

Are there any Russell jersey experts out there or anyone who can shed some light on Russell salesman samples and jersey blanks.

TNTtoys
09-19-2010, 11:35 AM
AWA85, dont ever buy gamer Reds jerseys without checking with Diamond Sports near Cincinatti. Mark Fugate owns it and can tell you that there were many Reds road blanks from 1995 that mysteriously became "game used" Larkin jerseys from his MVP season. I am not saying this is one except if you are looking to tie the one you had I think Mark Fugate can help.

What I am trying to do is tie these together with the Ripkens from the same year of 1995. Here's another on eBay with questionable script and tagging that looks right. I was thinking salesman samples but since this script is wrong I am thinking this came from a blank also.
Cal Ripken Jr. 1995 Game Used Autographed Jersey - eBay (item 330464934021 end time Sep-24-10 09:03:51 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-1995-Game-Used-Autographed-Jersey-/330464934021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf13eb885)

If anyone knows Orioles expert Mark Sutton, maybe he can tie these together. They are all Russell jerseys so again not sure if this is a coincedence.

Are there any Russell jersey experts out there or anyone who can shed some light on Russell salesman samples and jersey blanks.

I am not so sure about the jersey being a 'salesman sample' -- usually these jerseys are the prototype jersey for the team to either select a new manufacturer to supply their jerseys or a new jersey style from the same manufacturer. That said, the salesman samples are normally pre-made as the star of that day (all evidence here points to it being lettered after-market).

My theory is that the jersey was a factory line error jersey, as the incorrect "A" was placed on the front of the jersey. The jersey then was thrown in a discard pile and eventually made it into the hobby somehow as a retail jersey. I have seen this done time and time again in recent years with Majestic (for example, they were selling all of their 'imperfect' 0062-tagged jerseys at their retail outlet). A factory line error jersey possibly could have been picked up cheaply, lettered cheaply as well, and then passed into the hobby and eventually made its way into the charity, where it then was unknowingly documented as real.

Again, just my theory.

SaintsGeaux
09-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I am not so sure about the jersey being a 'salesman sample' -- usually these jerseys are the prototype jersey for the team to either select a new manufacturer to supply their jerseys or a new jersey style from the same manufacturer. That said, the salesman samples are normally pre-made as the star of that day (all evidence here points to it being lettered after-market).

My theory is that the jersey was a factory line error jersey, as the incorrect "A" was placed on the front of the jersey. The jersey then was thrown in a discard pile and eventually made it into the hobby somehow as a retail jersey. I have seen this done time and time again in recent years with Majestic (for example, they were selling all of their 'imperfect' 0062-tagged jerseys at their retail outlet). A factory line error jersey possibly could have been picked up cheaply, lettered cheaply as well, and then passed into the hobby and eventually made its way into the charity, where it then was unknowingly documented as real.

Again, just my theory.

MEARs did a report a year ago on Larkin road jerseys from 1995. They compared 4 of them. These jerseys are everywhere. :( This particular jersey was in the comparison. Can you imagine that!

TNT could be correct that this is a irregular or I think the jersey blank makes sense also as there are so many issues with it. Do not think it is a salesman sample because it is a size 46.

The Ripkens are everywhere. Probably a combo of blanks and salesman samples as they are 48's.

jbsportstuff
09-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Well since Mark Fugate has been brought up, I will let you know what he told me about the 1995 Red's jerseys. As many of you know, Reds sell several of their jerseys during Redsfest. In 1995, the Reds sold a TON of blank home game issued jerseys at Redsfest...tons of them. They had the proper tagging..but no name or numbers on the jerseys.

At that time Mark thought that this would come back to bite the hobby and that is exactly what has happened in this case. Mark warned me a couple of years ago to never buy a 1995 larkin jersey because it would difficult to know that it's real. I've had multiple transactions with Mark and he is one of the very best in the hobby.

Mark has phenomenal knowledge of Reds jerseys of all ages. Not to make a plug...but he has just opened up a new shop and he changed the name. Here is a link to his new store...he has several game used jerseys on display...something his old store didn't have the room to properly show.

His new shop is called Sports Gallery.

http://www.asportsgallery.com/

allstarsplus
09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Well since Mark Fugate has been brought up, I will let you know what he told me about the 1995 Red's jerseys. As many of you know, Reds sell several of their jerseys during Redsfest. In 1995, the Reds sold a TON of blank home game issued jerseys at Redsfest...tons of them. They had the proper tagging..but no name or numbers on the jerseys.

His new shop is called Sports Gallery.

http://www.asportsgallery.com/

You state in 1995 the Reds sold a TON of blank home game iissued jerseys. The jersey pictured here is a ROAD jersey.

What does Mark Fugate say about ROAD 1995 jerseys.

AWA85
09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Road jerseys were sold, I really do not know if home blank jerseys were ever sold. You often see road jerseys of Larkin's from 1995 pop up for sale, but I am not sure I have seen ONE home jersey from that season yet.

jbsportstuff
09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Road jerseys were sold, I really do not know if home blank jerseys were ever sold. You often see road jerseys of Larkin's from 1995 pop up for sale, but I am not sure I have seen ONE home jersey from that season yet.
I was thinking road and and posted home. Sorry for the confusion. I've sent an e-mail to Mark to confirm what I'm saying. :)

allstarsplus
09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I was thinking road and and posted home. Sorry for the confusion. I've sent an e-mail to Mark to confirm what I'm saying. :) Thanks. Just curious to hear if you heard back from Mark F.

1970REDS
09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I was at Redsfest when they had the tagged jerseys for sale , Mark and I talked about the problems down the road , but they were only a handful of each Home and Roads and everybody knows or should know Larkin wears a Size 46 . I do not know how many 95 Larkins have been made up at along the way , but the best i remember they was not anymore than 2 or 3 of each home and roads if that many that could have doctored up into Larkins from Redsfest.

jbsportstuff
09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks. Just curious to hear if you heard back from Mark F.
Mark got back with me today and confirmed that they were road jerseys only and there were aprox. 15-20 jerseys that were game issued with no name or numbers issued on them.

schubert1970
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I might be one of the few who saw the original post that started this thread.

Using the rational to delete it because it was started by a banned member is strange. I think everyone here realizes it was started by the same banned member who added so much to the Pete Rose corked bat thread. Those comments have been left, and the member had been banned for some time when he posted those comments? Isn’t there just as much, if not more educational value in this post? I don’t understand why it was removed in the first place. I’m glad it has been brought back.

Valuable info shared to other collectors should take precedent regardless of who is posting it. The rules are always bent here, so it’s good to see them bent in the best interest of the collecting community.

As mentioned earlier, I too am troubled about where jerseys like this come from. I think it would be really helpful to hear from Rob Steinmetz on this jersey. He contacted a member in the “Wanted Items” to instigate the sale of this jersey. He provided a letter of authenticity with it, and sold it to a member here. Yes, he made good on a mistake. But it leaves so many unanswered questions. Being one of the original founders of this site, I think it would be appropriate to hear from him on where it came from.

Anyone else have a feeling on this?

AWA85
09-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Rob it would be great for the hobby and collectors if you could share or reflect where the jersey originated from? It would serve very beneficial to myself and others who are interested in Larkin and other similar game used items.

I agree with schubert, posting this thread again is extremely beneficial to the hobby. Not really sure why the original was taken down in the beginning of this sticky situation.

I have received countless emails from many members and appreciate the GUU community in all of their efforts and opinions.

BostonSportsFan
09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Here are photos of a MEARS analysis of this jersey. I think it would be great for full and absolute disclosure to happen for the hobby sake. This obvisouly is not a $150.00 authentic as this item sold for well over $1000 and shipped from Illinois to Ohio.

I would just be curious how an esteemed authenticator from GAI and very reputable dealer held in the highest esteem and regard in this industry did not catch what would appear to be obvious signs and know that these particular road Larkins had been on the watch list like the 95 Ripkens circulating the hobby because of all the jersey blanks out there being turned into Ripken jersey's.

I think we would all greatly benefit if Mr. Rob Steinmetz a man of great stature and someone who is looked upon in the pantheons of greatness in the collecting world would take a few minutes to address this issue. I know Mr. Steinmetz is reported to be extremely busy however if he could address this situation especially to all those who have so strongly supported him in this hobby over the years, it would help to put closure to this matter. Mr. Steinmetz has come extremely well recommended by many many collectors and it would serve the collecting public well if he could put to rest any illicit rumors about the origin of this specific jersey and how it made its way through his fine tuned authentication skills.

BostonSportsFan
09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Just an FYI:

If you are a MEARS member Dave Grob wrote an entire article on this jersey I believe in May or June of 2009. You can research it on the MEARS website and view the entire contents of that article. Very informative read.

BostonSportsFan
09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Several more photos from that article for review

BostonSportsFan
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM

platinum1
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif

AWA85
09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Great info Boston, thanks!

Rob L
09-26-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm totally idiotic here, but what is this trying to show here? I only saw the original post and didn't follow it closely enough to see what is going on but I can't make sense of this thread. Based on the original post, it would seem that this was supposed to be a photomatched jersey but it isn't. The MEARS info seems to show the same jersey being sold by three different sellers. I don't doubt that there are issues with the jersey, this thread is just not clear on what we are showing (in my lame brain anyways).

allstarsplus
09-27-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm totally idiotic here, but what is this trying to show here? I only saw the original post and didn't follow it closely enough to see what is going on but I can't make sense of this thread. Based on the original post, it would seem that this was supposed to be a photomatched jersey but it isn't. The MEARS info seems to show the same jersey being sold by three different sellers. I don't doubt that there are issues with the jersey, this thread is just not clear on what we are showing (in my lame brain anyways).

Rob L. - I will try to recap.

The 1st post shows that based on photos in the public domain, that their are issues with the fonts, and placement and sizing of the numerals and no style matches were found against photos. The jersey shows use so how did it get on there and where did the Cincy Reds letter come from?

The photos from MEARs posted by BostonSportsFan shows to me that the "use" was possibly put on the jersey after the Grey Flannel auction as you can see use on the back numerals in the Lelands photo.

A few people that are close to Reds game used expert Mark Fugate have stated that there were several of these game issued blank size 46 jerseys available at the Reds FanFest 15 years ago.

The buyer returned the jersey to the seller for a refund.

With the photos that BostonSportsFan posted, yes, the same jersey was in possession of Grey Flannel, Lelands and AuthenticGamers and AWA85 who was the buyer.

There is a very distinct crimp in the Russell jock tag that makes this particular jersey very identifiable.

My biggest question is, does that Grey Flannel jersey show no use on the back of the numbers which is what I see.

Lastly, will any of the sellers or consignors come forward?

AWA85
09-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Rob, if you have the time would like your input on the jersey. As a Reds collector and game used fan, I am curious who you bought it from and any input on the Cincinnati Reds letter?

Rob L
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Rob L. - I will try to recap.

The 1st post shows that based on photos in the public domain, that their are issues with the fonts, and placement and sizing of the numerals and no style matches were found against photos. The jersey shows use so how did it get on there and where did the Cincy Reds letter come from?

The photos from MEARs posted by BostonSportsFan shows to me that the "use" was possibly put on the jersey after the Grey Flannel auction as you can see use on the back numerals in the Lelands photo.

A few people that are close to Reds game used expert Mark Fugate have stated that there were several of these game issued blank size 46 jerseys available at the Reds FanFest 15 years ago.

The buyer returned the jersey to the seller for a refund.

With the photos that BostonSportsFan posted, yes, the same jersey was in possession of Grey Flannel, Lelands and AuthenticGamers and AWA85 who was the buyer.

There is a very distinct crimp in the Russell jock tag that makes this particular jersey very identifiable.

My biggest question is, does that Grey Flannel jersey show no use on the back of the numbers which is what I see.

Lastly, will any of the sellers or consignors come forward?

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up Andrew!!

AWA85
11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
When I first saw this auction, I thought I was having a flashback. Since this thread seems to have all things road 95 Larkin, I thought we could just add to it.

Looking at the property tag, this is NOT the jersey I once owned. http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=28977&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=1&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=9&seo=1995-Barry-Larkin-Cincinnati-Reds-Game-Used-Road-Jersey-%28MVP-Season%29