PDA

View Full Version : Any Cincinnati Reds experts? Eric Davis jerseys question!

Frink
09-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi, folks!

A new Eric Davis rookie-era jersey hit eBay yesterday, and while it looks and sounds good, I'd like to make an inquiry on its appearance from anyone who might be familiar with Cincinnati jerseys from then.

The new jersey: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200520215449&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2088wt_1137

There has been a long-standing 1984 jersey with some significant documentation that I'm comparing to: http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-ERIC-DAVIS-Rookie-Game-Used-44-CIN-REDS-JERSEY-/250686572525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e1587ed#ht_4634wt_911 (http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-ERIC-DAVIS-Rookie-Game-Used-44-CIN-REDS-JERSEY-/250686572525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e1587ed#ht_4634wt_911).

The stitching, from what I can tell, looks consistent. The Wilson tag looks consistent, but they're in vastly different places. I could see this happening between years I guess, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there is more knowledgeable?

The big question for me is Davis's name on the back. On the 1984, the characters are closer together than the 1985. They're centered, and thus both the left and right edges of the name are closer to the vertical middle of the jersey than the left and right edges of the number. On the 1985, the characters are spaced out more, and while centered, this results in the left and right edges of the name being about on the same vertical line as the left and right edges of his number. My question is, is this consistent with other 1984/1985 jerseys? Is it something that may vary on a case-by-case basis? Is it a red flag?

Thanks for any opinions, and for reading.

Larry LaHaie

rdeversole
09-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm also interested in this jersey. One question would be, although they are both size 42.. this newly listed one looks larger in size than the one that's been up for awhile and the cut of the already listed one is almost spot on with the one I have at home. Eric wore stuff extremely tight for much of his career. Plus, does this jersey show any wear? It looks wrinkled, but pretty fresh.

EricDavis44fan
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I was very interested in the jersey at first. But there are two warning signs that are making me avoid this jersey. First is the location of the Wilson tag. During this time the Reds required the tags be placed inside the tail. This is according to the Bill Henderson guide and also consistent with Reds jersey's that I have seen during this era. Secondly, the font for the NOB is incorrect. Look at the A in Davis. Then look at other Red's jersey's during the 80's and compare the "A".

I have a 1984 home and BP jersey, and a 1985-86 Home Davis jersey. Both are tapered and look much smaller than the one listed. Hope this helps.

Dave,
Always looking for Eric Davis gamers

EricDavis44fan
09-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I was very interested in the jersey at first. But there are two warning signs that are making me avoid this jersey. First is the location of the Wilson tag. During this time the Reds required the tags be placed inside the tail. This is according to the Bill Henderson guide and also consistent with Reds jersey's that I have seen during this era. Secondly, the font for the NOB is incorrect. Look at the A in Davis. Then look at other Red's jersey's during the 80's and compare the "A".

I have a 1984 home and BP jersey, and a 1985-86 Home Davis jersey. Both are tapered and look much smaller than the one listed. Hope this helps.

Dave,

Sorry, the tagging should be on the tail. My previous post implied it should only be on the inside of the tail.

Dave

sox83cubs84
09-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Easy to solve...the Reds changed manufacturers for 1985. Rawlings, the former home supplier, took over!

the road greys, while Goodman began a 2-year stint supplying the home whites. Wilson made neither in 1985

Dave Miedema

Frink
09-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow, man! Thanks, guys! The knowledge around here is amazing.

I guess that solves that! :D