PDA

View Full Version : College game used items questions

flippin15
06-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello everybody,

I am starting to collect college GAME-Worn jerseys and I have a few questions about the NCAA rules pertaining to game-worn jerseys. It is to my knowledge that jersey's cannot be sold with the players' last name on the back (hence the reason Nike cannot produce basketball jerseys with last names on the back)... BUT what about game-worn jerseys? Can Universities resell these jerseys with the last name still on the back? If the player is still a junior (lets say he decides to stay for his Senior year), can the University resell his jersey before he graduates? I am curious to know this because I have been told that Universities CANNOT profit from their student-athletes....

However, I have found this jersey for auction: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=236401&ac=PHspt

It appears that Jeff Marshall is still in school, but the jersey has his last name on the back... whatsup with that?

Thanks in advance,

Cannot wait to hear your responses!

Mike

suave1477
06-04-2009, 12:37 PM
To answer your first question technically no a University / college is not allowed to profit off there students - that is illegal.

To sell a Jersey is a bit different because it is not directly the athlete they are selling so I am sure there are some fine lines there, but they may be able to sell a Jersey if it is strictly for a non profit charity.

I am not too sure about the no names on the back thing. I never heard of that before, but then again I do not collect college items regularly.

I am a bit confused by the link you posted I am not sure what that has to do with anything???

flippin15
06-04-2009, 12:42 PM
To answer your first question technically no a University / college is not allowed to profit off there students - that is illegal.

To sell a Jersey is a bit different because it is not directly the athlete they are selling so I am sure there are some fine lines there, but they may be able to sell a Jersey if it is strictly for a non profit charity.

I am not too sure about the no names on the back thing. I never heard of that before, but then again I do not collect college items regularly.

I am a bit confused by the link you posted I am not sure what that has to do with anything???

The link shows an auction for a jersey for a player that played THIS year (he would still be considered "amateur" but they are selling the Jersey with his last name on the back...)

What I was trying to show was that they have the last name on the back, yet he is still going to school at the university.... i always thought it was illegal to sell jerseys with last name on back??

flippin15
06-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry the LINK to the auction should be: http://goblackbears.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm

Neely8
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I can speak only for hockey jerseys. My understanding is that if the player is returning for another season, NCAA rules prohibit the school from selling his jersey with the name on back. If a player was a senior and the jersey was sold after the season was over then the name can be left on. In the past some schools have ignored this rule and still sold all jerseys with the names on back regardless of what year the player was in. Since I collect Michigan hockey jerseys that was one of the schools who ignored the rule only until recently. Apparently they received some pressure from the NCAA two years ago and the jerseys that they have auctioned since have had the names removed, providing the player was not a senior.

flippin15
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Neely8,

Thanks for your reply... do you think Michigan was using the revenue from the sales to put back into the program, or was it donated to charities? (I wonder if that has anything to do with it?)

Neely8
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure what they do with the revenue they generate from the jersey auctions but they do send you a form telling you how much of what you spent on the jerseys is tax deductible since it is considered a gift to the school.

flippin15
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks again for your help Neely8

Anybody else with some information?

Thanks in advance,

sportscentury
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
The universities own the uniforms and equipment. So yes, of course they can sell such items. Many universities sell their teams' player game worn jerseys. Collegejersey.com gets a ton of this stuff. Ron Fukushima gets a ton of this stuff from UCLA (and also of Arizona and USC in the past, I believe). Duke occasionally sells their jerseys in their University-owned Surplus Store (or at least they have in recent years). These are just a few examples ... too many to list. If there is a rule against such a practice, I don't know what it is. And if there is, many universities are flagrantly violating it.

flippin15
06-04-2009, 01:57 PM
sportscentury,

thanks for your response. do you have any info about the NCAA regulations pertaining to the players' last name on the back? I am interested in getting my hands of some game-worn jerseys of players still in college, but I DON'T want the nametag to be removed!

russyurk
06-04-2009, 10:01 PM
sportscentury,

thanks for your response. do you have any info about the NCAA regulations pertaining to the players' last name on the back? I am interested in getting my hands of some game-worn jerseys of players still in college, but I DON'T want the nametag to be removed!

NCAA by-law 12.5.1.1 (h) Institutional, Charitable, Education or Nonprofit Promotions states in part that "....Items that include an individual student-athlete's name, picture or likeness (e.g., name on jersey, name or likeness on a bobble-head doll), other than informational items (e.g., media guide, schedule cards, institutional publications), may not be sold."

Student-Athletes with eligibility remaining should not have their jerseys sold with nameplates.

flippin15
06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks, so it looks like I won't be able to purchase game-worn merchandise for players with eligibility... interesting :cool:

sportscentury
06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks, so it looks like I won't be able to purchase game-worn merchandise for players with eligibility... interesting :cool:

Did you read my post? Universities let these shirts (of eligible players) go all the time. Contact CollegeJersey.com or Ron at California Sports Investments for starters.

flippin15
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Did you read my post? Universities let these shirts (of eligible players) go all the time. Contact CollegeJersey.com or Ron at California Sports Investments for starters.

Yes, I read your post... but according to the rules they're technically not suppose to. It seems like there are so many gray areas with these rules... it's crazy! do you have Ron's contact information?

Tedw9
09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
A coworker of mine was asking me today about collecting game used items. He asked me if I knew where he could buy some Michigan Wolverines game used shorts, jersey or football helmet. He is a huge Michigan fan and would love to have one of those items.

I admitted I knew nothing about those but would ask the folks here if they knew where we could find those type of items.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if you can buy college game used. So any information you can send my way would be much appreciated.

skier14
09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
JO has a few Michigan Football jerseys for sale.
You could check that out.

I'd also look at ebay.

beaglegypsy003
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Over the years I have bought game used college football and basketball jerseys. I have two basketball jerseys I purchased directly from the players. Both players were seniors and the school semester was over. I will not talk with any player who has eligibility remaining about selling their stuff. Both jerseys still had the nameplates attached. I have several football jerseys sold by the school with the nameplates removed. I think some schools give the seniors their jersey to keep with the nameplates.

AWA85
09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I have picked up some big time college football jerseys with the name still on the back of players that are still in college. Thing is the University did not sell them, so I am sure you can put the puzzle together.

UGA016
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I collect UGA Game used items. I have purchased some game used items from players in the past at UGA. My wife and I go the the Annual GALA at Georgia every year were players game used jerseys are auctioned off for charity. I have purchased in the past Satfford gamers as well as a David Greene at these auctions. Eligible players by the NCAA are not able to make profit/Gain neither is the Universitys while on the field of play. This rule is a little sketchie being there are LOOP Holes. Believe me I know. Most people buy the jersey and then attacha nameplate. Which technicaly is still game used just with a new nameplate. I myself have been fortunate to obtain jerseys of players still on the field.

hockeytigers
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Also, many of the nameplates get reused from year to year to save some money...the jerseys are scraped but the nameplates are reused. Also, a bunch of schools sell their jerseys without nameplates when the schools have their summer football camps.

kudu
09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
AJ Green of the U of Georgia recently got in trouble for selling his jersey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5546259

AWA85
09-15-2010, 08:25 PM
The recent issue at Georgia should grab a few player's attention and make them think twice about selling their gear. Stinks for the collector, but it is a little strange that the person that bought the jersey made it public. Guessing they were a Bulldogs fan?

UGA016
09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Actually the Guy that bought the jersey off AJ was not a Georgia Fan believe me. We wouldnt have been as stupid as he was. He actually played for UNC back in 2000's and Befriended AJ on Facebook. He then was bragging on his page about how he bought AJ's bowl jersey. Little did he know he was already under investigation in the UNC debacle thats going on right know. To bad for AJ.....You never speak of buying a current players gear...NEVER!!

AWA85
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Guessing some of these schools are cracking down a bit, I believe last year the names were left on the 300th consecutive sell out jerseys that were auctioned. Not positive, but remember seeing Suh's and one other one on ebay often, and thought they had the name still.

Anyways, Nebraska is auctioning off this year's jerseys against Texas and here is part of the description...

"Jerseys from all eligible numbers will be offered in this auction that begins on September 9, 2010 and ends on October 21, 2010. Player names will be removed from the back of all jerseys before they are sent to the winner"

Bummer for the collector...

kudu
09-30-2010, 10:17 PM
WTF?!?!

http://www.huskers.com/sellnew/SellHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&_MODE_=AUCTION&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

How is Nebraska getting away with this?? Sure they are removing the names off the backs, but they are making money off of current players on the team.

AWA85
09-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Not sure how it is "getting away" with anything. They removed the names, so there is no player identification. How do you know if your bidding on #3 Taylor Martinez starting QB or #3 Rickey Thenarse from the defensive side. I am guessing they are within NCAA regulations otherwise a public auction would not be occurring.

By the way GOOOO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!

kudu
10-01-2010, 12:45 AM
True. I didnt think about there being two of the same numbers. So I guess if you were bidding on one of the jerseys, best thing to do is dvr the game and hopefully photostyle or photomatch the jersey, if you end up high bidder.