PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Vs. Repaired Crack - That is the question???

suave1477
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Well from being on this forum over the years I have noticed a stronger percentage of members reply to the Repaired cracked bat questions and comments "They don't care" or "It doesn't bother them"

Me personally I hate repaired cracks as I think it ruins the originlaty of the bat. But that's just me. And I actually do like a cracked bat sometimes over an uncracked bat because it shows the player used the bat till it cracked / more use.

So this questions goes to the guys who say they don't care of the crack is repaired.

Have you ever thought about what if a repaired cracked bat ends up being sold as just a regular bat?
Now you may say who cares if its done good.
But what if your the buyer???

For example: I have a cracked bat and do such a good job repairing it that is not even noticable that it was cracked. I sell the bat to (Buyer A) never mentioning it was cracked and repaired because you can't tell anyway.
A year goes by and maybe something starts showing that there was a crack there.

Would you be mad? Since you said you don't mind the cracked bats being repaired.

joelsabi
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Well from being on this forum over the years I have noticed a stronger percentage of members reply to the Repaired cracked bat questions and comments "They don't care" or "It doesn't bother them"

Me personally I hate repaired cracks as I think it ruins the originlaty of the bat. But that's just me. And I actually do like a cracked bat sometimes over an uncracked bat because it shows the player used the bat till it cracked / more use.

So this questions goes to the guys who say they don't care of the crack is repaired.

Have you ever thought about what if a repaired cracked bat ends up being sold as just a regular bat?
Now you may say who cares if its done good.
But what if your the buyer???

For example: I have a cracked bat and do such a good job repairing it that is not even noticable that it was cracked. I sell the bat to (Buyer A) never mentioning it was cracked and repaired because you can't tell anyway.
A year goes by and maybe something starts showing that there was a crack there.

Would you be mad? Since you said you don't mind the cracked bats being repaired.

imho, full disclosue by the buyer that the bat was repaired, regardless of how perfect the repair was, should have taken place.

suave1477
09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
imho, full disclosue by the buyer that the bat was repaired, regardless of how perfect the repair was, should have taken place.

Joelsabi I agree a 100% but putting aside what the seller should have done. I am more curious to the reactions of the buyers because for the ones who say they dont mind or feel a repaired crack is acceptable leaves that much more room for (dishonest sellers to get over)

tbone90
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Definitely put me in the cracked catagory, NOT repaired. I think many times a cracked bat has a good deal of character. I will not add a bat to my collection that's cracked with any pieces of wood missing.

I little more to the original post though, I much prefer bats that have MLB holograms. More and more often I'm seeing bats with MLB holograms that were cracked and are repaired. I feel this ruins the integrity of the bat and hologram. Why would I want a bat that was authenticated by MLB and is documented as cracked but is now repaired? I'd never make that purchase.

Fnazxc0114
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I upgrade my cracked bats for uncracked ones whenever i can. As far as repairing cracks ive had it done on a few of my bats. Birdbats does an outstanding job by the way. The only bats i have had repaired have been somm of my hamitons which were in pretty bad shape.

Neal
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a few bats that have hairline cracks which are barely visible, and a few others that the crack is more noticeable, but nothing terrible. I would never get those repaired - I like them that way. That said, I am not a fan of cracks that are very big and very noticeable.

I would have zero problem buying a repaired bat, as long as it is fully disclosed.

panthrotc
09-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I have 5 McGwire Bats in my Mac Collection

3 of the 5 are cracked. They have cracks in the middle handle area right near on the rawlings ring. For a Mac Collector cracked bats are better then a COA. When mac was in the groove he used bats until they cracked. I Prefer them cracked. All 3 show TREMENDOUS use on them. Here are some pictures of the cracked 96 & 97 Mac Bats i own. Along with the cracks i posted pictures of the pounded barrels.

96 crack & barrel

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire96GUBat026-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/mcgwire96GUBat010.jpg

97 Crack & barrel

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/2010%20National%20Baltimore/Picture082.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/iphone055.jpg

spartanservitto
09-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Jeff Scott at Birdbats repairs bats, interesting, how much? I just got a Sammy Sosa that is in two pieces that I am thinking about repairing.

-Tony

emann
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Cracked and repaired bats didn't used to bother me, until I started getting a number of badly done repaired bats from other collectors.

I tend to shy away now from repaired bats, unless I feel the repair is REALLY top-notch and the sad fact is not many are (unless done by a pro). I think it is a subjective thing and what looks good to the person doing the repair might not look good to the end buyer.

I'd buy an uncracked or cracked (with no pieces missing) before I'd buy a repaired bat most of the time. I actually like the way a mildly cracked bat looks displayed... I've got a few that look very cool in display.

I've also bought bats that sellers claimed were uncracked only to notice they had a repair done. This is what I mean by a top-notch repair... I have some bats (including one that PSA said was uncracked) that are repaired so well, you'd really need to look to find the crack.

suave1477
09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Jeff Scott at Birdbats repairs bats, interesting, how much? I just got a Sammy Sosa that is in two pieces that I am thinking about repairing.

-Tony

Spartan ahhhh so you were the one who won that bat. I'm not really sure if that bat is repairable as easy as it was mentioned. I had that bat in my hands and from what I remember it was broken in 2, pretty bad.

spartanservitto
09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
How bad is it on the handle? Is it missing pretty big pieces? Either way I thought it was a sick price for a Sosa.

-Tony

spartanservitto
09-15-2010, 09:47 AM
The sad thing is, that was the most I was willing to spend on a Sosa, 600 home runs and the congressional hearing + the proof of steroid use + plus the "Michael Jackson" whitening of his skin... has caused too bad of a taste in my mouth.

-Tony

suave1477
09-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't think people are getting my question. Maybe I worded it wrong but I see a few replys on what people prefer which is fine. But the questions is.

What if your the one who ends with with this great repaired bat that's repaired so well that your sold that bat as an "uncracked bat" later to find out that it had a crack but had been repaired.

So you paid a premium on a bat let's say $1,000 as opposed to it really being worth maybe $750 or $500 because it had a crack that been repaired.

How would you feel then?

suave1477
09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
How bad is it on the handle? Is it missing pretty big pieces? Either way I thought it was a sick price for a Sosa.

-Tony

It's just not a clean break from what I remember. I had it in my hands about a month ago. The price you got it for was phenominal but then again that because it was broken in 2. But still a great deal. I was actually considering buying it myself. Great example of a Sosa.

spartanservitto
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't think people are getting my question. Maybe I worded it wrong but I see a few replys on what people prefer which is fine. But the questions is.

What if your the one who ends with with this great repaired bat that's repaired so well that your sold that bat as an "uncracked bat" later to find out that it had a crack but had been repaired.

So you paid a premium on a bat let's say $1,000 as opposed to it really being worth maybe $750 or $500 because it had a crack that been repaired.

How would you feel then?

Suave, my understanding is that the knowledge of a crack may be considered "material" especially in legal terms. In that case it should be disclosed.... I dont have a problem purchasing either.... but in the eyes of collectors, it clearly devalues a bat in some way. No lets say the seller doesnt disclose, yet you pay for a fair price on what would have been a cracked bat of that player, then I think you are stuck...

It should absolutely be disclosed though.

-Tony

suave1477
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Suave, my understanding is that the knowledge of a crack may be considered "material" especially in legal terms. In that case it should be disclosed.... I dont have a problem purchasing either.... but in the eyes of collectors, it clearly devalues a bat in some way. No lets say the seller doesnt disclose, yet you pay for a fair price on what would have been a cracked bat of that player, then I think you are stuck...

It should absolutely be disclosed though.

-Tony

Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
Would you be mad?
Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.

spartanservitto
09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Tony ok that is my point though. Let's say tthe repaired crack is not disclosed. Because the crack has been repaired so well that you can't see it. 3 years go by and the bat you notice is starting to bend for some strange reason. You look closer at it and noticed there was a slight crack in it and glue was applied to hold it together.
Would you be mad?
Especially since you feel a repaired crack is acceptable?

I am just saying by people feeling repaired cracks are acceptable gives a chance for dishonest sellers to sell a repaired bat for a premium and getting over on the buyer.

Hell yea I would, and depending on the description I would want the difference in value as opposed to what I paid as advertised. I think the problem in this hobby is that so many deals are made without actually inspecting the item in hand, and repairs are so phenomenal that years can go by. I think diligence on the buyers part is necessary upon receiving the bat, and if found the bat should be returned and refunded, or at least discounted.

The bottom line is that its a type of fraud.

In my case, I dont really care as long as the bat is not deforming to a point that it is freakishly bent and what not. My goal is obtain a bat that was used by that particular player, I dont really care about condition, but I also want to pay in ACCORDANCE with the condition.

-Tony

yankees506
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I look at it very simple, a bat is a bat, i like to have sturdy bats and since im a bit accident prone id rather have a repaired bat because id probably make the origional crack worse and that imo would be worse than repairing the origional crack

Dach0sen0ne
09-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd be mad, if I found out a bat I bought as uncracked turned out to be repaired. It's like buying a car and then finding out it's been in a major accident the owner didn't tell you about. Maybe they need carfax for bats.

yankees506
09-15-2010, 02:27 PM
i mean to answer the question if the crack is seamless, i would not care. I dont devalue a bat because it has a crack but when your selling full disclosure is the best way to go

Fnazxc0114
09-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I would never sale a repaired bat as uncracked. Granted that doesnt mean others wouldnt. Most of the repairs ive seen especially on some black bats you can tell it was cracked, especially if it was a bad one.

Fnazxc0114
09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Id email him, not sure if his prices have changed. He did two bats for me and they were perfect when i got them back. You could still tell they were cracked at one point but they were pretty splintered when i sent them to him. I bet some bats he could do where you couldnt tell, but llike i said mine were in pretty bad shape.

-Tony

spartanservitto
09-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Cool, I would rather repair because I dont want to cause further damage to the bat.

-Tony

Jags Fan Dan
09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
The only bats I have repaired were three that were each in 2 pieces. Each came wrapped in ugly white tape holding the pieces together. I just got rid of the ugly tape and glued the pieces together so the bat could be displayed more attractively. And there is no way any of the three would pass as uncracked unless someone is badly visually impaired.