PDA

View Full Version : Possible Hat Purchase...Calling Braves Fans!

Klattsy
09-14-2010, 04:33 AM
G'day all,

I am possibly about to take my first jump into the murky waters that are eBay GU auctions...
Peter Moylan GU Hat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260664292877&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ht_500wt_928)

What should I be looking for in GU hats? Is there a register for used brands/sizes ect? I know Pete is #58..but then I see a little 6 next to it?

Does the letter look official? Never seen a team issue COA before. Any Braves fans that can help?

Sorry to trouble you all with such a "lowly" piece as this but I am an Aussie Baseballer collector and i'm hoping all my purchases can be around this price :)

Also, is there any etiquette with forum members re: asking for help on an auction and then having forum members bid on it? Or is it every collector for themselves?

Thanks,
Mark.

vballGuy
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Obviously, GU hats/caps are incredibly hard to authenticate. Unless you are given the hat by the player himself or it has excellent provenance (i.e. team, player agent, etc.), there is no way to no for sure. The same hats that the players wear are sold in stores, so anyone can write a number under the bill and say that its a particular player.

With that said, I still enjoy the challenge of collecting caps and trying to figure out whether or not they could be legit.

Although I am not a Braves collector, there are a few things about this hat that I would look into before purchasing:

1. Why is there no MLB hologram? For items post 2005, they should have a MLB hologram with a number. MLB auctions of various caps from Stars and Stripes to St. Patrick's Day, and all the ones that I have seen have a MLB hologram. I would be weery that this particular piece (from 2009) does not have a hologram.

2. What is Moylan's hat/cap size? No way to know for sure, but it would be worthwhile to at least check online to see if any of his caps were sold or auctioned off -- if so, what was the hat size. This is not to say that the other caps that were sold/auctioned are legit, but its a worthwhile exercise to compare cap sizes nonetheless.

3. Do the Braves issue certificates? If so, do they look like the one shown there? I find it hard to believe that they do issue certs like the one shown -- even more so, because it does not have any type of hologram on it. From my understanding, most teams use MLB authentication services (described in #1). Maybe email Mr. Robert Hope (listed on the COA) to see if this is common practice. You may also ask him to view photos of the cert and cap to see if it is game worn. But you'll also have to question why Mr. Hope was able to authenticate it.

joelsabi
09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
G'day all,

I am possibly about to take my first jump into the murky waters that are eBay GU auctions...
Peter Moylan GU Hat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260664292877&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ht_500wt_928)

What should I be looking for in GU hats? Is there a register for used brands/sizes ect? I know Pete is #58..but then I see a little 6 next to it?

Does the letter look official? Never seen a team issue COA before. Any Braves fans that can help?

Sorry to trouble you all with such a "lowly" piece as this but I am an Aussie Baseballer collector and i'm hoping all my purchases can be around this price :)

Also, is there any etiquette with forum members re: asking for help on an auction and then having forum members bid on it? Or is it every collector for themselves?

Thanks,
Mark.

you might want to ask Kyle if this hat came from this group of caps in this other thread below. He should be familiar also with the COA from the Team Store as he frequents the store.

tagging looks right for 2009.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34888&highlight=braves+caps+store

Dach0sen0ne
09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
1. Why is there no MLB hologram? For items post 2005, they should have a MLB hologram with a number. MLB auctions of various caps from Stars and Stripes to St. Patrick's Day, and all the ones that I have seen have a MLB hologram. I would be weery that this particular piece (from 2009) does not have a hologram.

I think it would be an impossible task to authenticate EVERY game used item. Some teams still issue a team COA.

3. Do the Braves issue certificates? If so, do they look like the one shown there? I find it hard to believe that they do issue certs like the one shown -- even more so, because it does not have any type of hologram on it. From my understanding, most teams use MLB authentication services (described in #1). Maybe email Mr. Robert Hope (listed on the COA) to see if this is common practice. You may also ask him to view photos of the cert and cap to see if it is game worn. But you'll also have to question why Mr. Hope was able to authenticate it.

Looks like the Cert the Braves issue to me, but Kyle would be the go to guy on this.

joelsabi
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks,
Mark.

I am buying it now as I post and raising it up $30. :eek:

All kidding aside, when you post an item you do risk the possibility that another member who was not aware of the item now has this item on his radar screen so post with caution if it's an item you desperately want to purchase. I can count many times where a listing with a Buy It Now feature was gone before a reply was given to a question he posted on the GU Auction section.

This looks like an item you could negotiate with the seller to drop the price or at least drop shipping if you sent it to your relative in the States. Email the seller after hearing from Kyle.

lakeerie92
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
The Braves do issue Certificates of Authenticity like the one pictured. As a Braves collector I have many of them myself purchased directly from the Braves. The hat looks to be legit.

legaleagle92481
09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Obviously, GU hats/caps are incredibly hard to authenticate. Unless you are given the hat by the player himself or it has excellent provenance (i.e. team, player agent, etc.), there is no way to no for sure. The same hats that the players wear are sold in stores, so anyone can write a number under the bill and say that its a particular player.

With that said, I still enjoy the challenge of collecting caps and trying to figure out whether or not they could be legit.

Although I am not a Braves collector, there are a few things about this hat that I would look into before purchasing:

2. What is Moylan's hat/cap size? No way to know for sure, but it would be worthwhile to at least check online to see if any of his caps were sold or auctioned off -- if so, what was the hat size. This is not to say that the other caps that were sold/auctioned are legit, but its a worthwhile exercise to compare cap sizes nonetheless.

Most items are NOT MLB Authentic, MLB has rigid standards to the conditions under which an item can be authenticated as GU and to authenticate every single bat, jersey, helmet and hat used during the course of a season would require employing 1000s of people just for that purpose. The Braves sell alot of such items and issue a team COA like the one shown even when they auction stuff on MLB auctions, I have seen Chipper bats for example on there with team COAs and no MLB hologram.

hiramman
09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not 100% sure if this was purchased from the Clubhouse store, but if it was, then it would not be MLB Authenticated. None of the caps that I have seen at the store in the last several years have been MLB Authenticated. Matter of fact I don't know if I've ever seen a Braves cap purchased at the Clubhouse Store that was MLB Authenticated.

I'm not 100% sure on Moylan's cap size, but I do have one in my collection and I can check it tonight when I get home from work. When I had him autograph it a couple of years ago, he actually told me it was the right size and looked like one of his game caps.

I have no idea on why there is a "6" next to his number. I've never seen anything like that before.

The COA from the Braves is correct for this item. I would not bother Bob Hope about the certificate. He is not an authenticator. He is supplied a list of items by the team and signs the certificates. He will have absolutely no clue on this specific cap.

Klattsy
09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow. You guys are great.

vballGuy - you made me paranoid with your post, but raised some good points.

Luckily for me, others have addressed these as well.

Thanks for the reference to kyle, I have emailed him re: this thread.

Joelsabi - thanks for the info re: etiquette. :)

hiramman - I would appreciate if you can check out that size. I hope to make a decision tonight when I get home from work (it's 9AM here.) One member has pointed out that the 6 may in fact be a "G" as in game? I hope to meet him during the Australian baseball season and get him to auto the item and possibly even authenticate it!

Thanks all.
Mark.

vballGuy
09-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Apologies for making you feel paranoid. It was great that other forum members could confirm the authenticity of the Braves certificate.

I stand corrected on the MLB hologram point -- I suppose it was ridiculous to think that all items would be appropriately authenticated by the MLB.

Thanks for all of your comments.

lakeerie92
09-15-2010, 06:58 PM
There is a Peter Moylan Spring Training jersey just listed on eBay. The Braves also have a Moylan game jersey for $100. I am not sure about either as far as shipping to Australia though.

hiramman
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I checked my cap and it is a 7-3/8 also. As a Braves collector I would feel confident purchasing the cap. I say go for it.

Klattsy
09-16-2010, 03:20 AM
There is a Peter Moylan Spring Training jersey just listed on eBay. The Braves also have a Moylan game jersey for $100. I am not sure about either as far as shipping to Australia though.

Thanks for the tip off, I have a search saved, but didn't find it...my search is for first and last name which was why.... :)! He has $48 on postage for the ST jersey. Ouch!

I have Lisa @ Braves merchandise holding the Moylan jersey for me, she has been really great.

I checked my cap and it is a 7-3/8 also. As a Braves collector I would feel confident purchasing the cap. I say go for it.

Thanks mate. Thats reassuring to know...Not sure I'll have the funds to chase the hat as well as everything else now! I think i'd rather the BP jersey than the hat now :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark.

trsent
09-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the tip off, I have a search saved, but didn't find it...my search is for first and last name which was why.... :)! He has $48 on postage for the ST jersey. Ouch!

I have Lisa @ Braves merchandise holding the Moylan jersey for me, she has been really great.

Thanks mate. Thats reassuring to know...Not sure I'll have the funds to chase the hat as well as everything else now! I think i'd rather the BP jersey than the hat now :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark.

Mark, Australia and New Zealand have some of the highest shipping for United States customers. Most sellers require use of a service that offers insurance and a tracking number, so they have to us US Priority Mail International. It just isn't cheap to get the tracking and insurance that most sellers now require.

For instance, a 2 pound package from The USA to Australia via US Priority Mail International with $100.00 in insurance costs about $36.00 when the buyer buys the postage online (more when bought at the post office by usually $2-$3 more).

So, $48.00 seems high for postage that shouldn't cost much more than $36.00 - $40.00, but it is in the ballpark. $18.00 would be the price for US First Class Mail International but most sellers don't use this service since there is no insurance or tracking available to prove delivery and offer security.

Best of luck to you!

Klattsy
09-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks Joel for explaining that. The seller has said it is for Express Post, but didn't mention insurance and tracking. Does this come automatically with your Express Post over there? It does here domestically...

I have been running the gauntlet with trading cards and not registering postage buying/selling them, I suppose GU merchandise really isn't worth that risk though! I'm just a stingy bloke!

Thanks,
Mark.