PDA

View Full Version : 911 hats

cjclong
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I am glad that baseball recognizes 911 as they do other days like the 4th of July. I don't intend to demean the recognition by baseball, but I think the hats are particularly unattractive. Why not a red, white an blue theme? The white hats clash with most teams uniforms. Of course, red or blue hats would clash with some teams colors as well, but they would look better than the current hats. Another alternative, why not put a flag or some other symbol on the team caps as baseball did right after 911? I just wish they would find a way to commemorate the anniversary with something that looks better than those hats.

sox83cubs84
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I am glad that baseball recognizes 911 as they do other days like the 4th of July. I don't intend to demean the recognition by baseball, but I think the hats are particularly unattractive. Why not a red, white an blue theme? The white hats clash with most teams uniforms. Of course, red or blue hats would clash with some teams colors as well, but they would look better than the current hats. Another alternative, why not put a flag or some other symbol on the team caps as baseball did right after 911? I just wish they would find a way to commemorate the anniversary with something that looks better than those hats.

I'm curious if anyone else encountered this:

I asked a Sox coach buddy of mine before Saturday' game as to whether I could get his cap after the game. His apologetic response was that everyone on the team had to turn theirs in after the game (presumably for MLB Auctions). Did anyone else receive a similar, or opposite response to a direct request for a 9-11 cap?

Dave Miedema

ironmanfan
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I got an email from the Tigers GU rep (as I'm sure others did as well) offering the 09/11 hats for sale......

metsbats
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I was disappointed the NY teams didn't wear caps from the various emergency services first responders like they did in previous years.

Perhaps instead of those white caps each MLB team next year should wear the caps from their respective city's police, fire dept, ems,etc.

LastingsMilledge85
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I was disappointed the NY teams didn't wear caps from the various emergency services first responders like they did in previous years.

Perhaps instead of those white caps each MLB team next year should wear the caps from their respective city's police, fire dept, ems,etc.

The Mets were the last of the two to wear those hats. They last wore them in 2007 and I picked up two from that game against the Braves. Those were my favorite hats the Mets wore.

cjclong
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I think there are some good ideas out there that are much better than the white hats.

justinwc80
09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
The reason they were white is that they have had blue hats and red hats, and now the last color is white. I would assume that next year they will go back to blue and than red and white.

cjclong
09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Just because they had other colors in the past doen't mean they need to get stuck with something that ugly. I still think the best thing would be to put a patch commemorating 911 on each teams hats.

LastingsMilledge85
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Baseball can say that the whole reason for these hats are in support of raising money towards the Welcome Back Vets program they run, which really is a great tremendous program. I wish though that they would scrap these hats though because the main reason why they where made was so that New Era could cash in big time on these hats. They are a tremendous hit and New Era makes a huge profit. I liked the traditional team hats with the flag patch on the side, and let the Mets wear the agency caps. That's just my feeling...the whole cause is great, but I don't believe that's New Era's intention on the hats. Why do you think they change styles each year???? One answer: $.

Dach0sen0ne
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Austin Jackson 911 hat. White definitely doesn't look clean, but it gives it character.

xpress34
09-15-2010, 08:25 PM
My guess is since the AL wore white w/ blue bill this year and the NL wore white w/ red bill, next year they will switch bill colors.

Just my .02

- Chris

lakeerie92
09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
My guess is since the AL wore white w/ blue bill this year and the NL wore white w/ red bill, next year they will switch bill colors.

Just my .02

- Chris

I am not sure how they determined what color bill to wear on the hats but it wasn't NL/AL. The Braves wore Blue bill hats.