PDA

View Full Version : What's up with AMI???

Jeffredsfan
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Can someone (some people) enlighten me regarding AMI. I thought they were legitimate. I see them at the Philly show twice a year and never have heard anything negative about them. It seems there are some issues. Please clue me in!

earlywynnfan
09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I think it's best to get a comfy chair, set aside a couple hours, and do a thread search. To rehash: they actively disclose that they shill bid, have hidden reserves, and use current consignors to pay past (way past) debts. Plus they seem to owe large chunks of change to various GUF members, who I would love to have an update from.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

WadeInBmore
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll take a stab in an attempt to answer your questions regarding AMI.

You most likely do see them all over. They are legitamate. Like all auction houses you still need to do your homework in regards to an item.

As far as the issues go (I'm assuming you are referencing the recent posts asking about different items in their current auction) I will say this much. It seems that all the auction houses are in search of the perfect model for items sold and most auctions possible in a calendar year. If I'm not mistaken AMI's new/recent model of business makes the seller responsible for listing their own items with pictures and descriptions and that hardly any items, if any at all, every actually make it into AMI's hands.

Just like anything in the Game Used world...do your homework. Ask others opinions. Compare to other known items by a particular player or team. Track down the collector of origination (if thats a possibility). Become as knowledgable as possible on the item of interest and happy bidding. In the end, as long as you the buyer feels good about the transaction/purchase then thats all that really matters.

AMI's way can allow for scammy individuals to list less then credible items, but then again, in an open forum discussion with numerous sets of eyes looking an item over based on pictures, items have been given the thumbs up and the thumbs down. Sometimes passed owners speak up and out about an item.

Good luck on any item you may be bidding on and happy collecting.

wade

sox83cubs84
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I think it's best to get a comfy chair, set aside a couple hours, and do a thread search. To rehash: they actively disclose that they shill bid, have hidden reserves, and use current consignors to pay past (way past) debts. Plus they seem to owe large chunks of change to various GUF members, who I would love to have an update from.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Don't forget...some members of their 100% Authentic authentication team are praised as supreme experts in print, but are lacking in many areas of said expertise in reality (see the thread on the AMI Will Clark Giants jersey for an example).

Dave Miedema

platinum1
09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Start doing a Google search and the first thing Google auto fills in is either FRAUD or SCAM. So that will tell you a lot about how they operate.

ISA-Chuck
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
There have been concerns over the conflict of interest at AMI - authenticating items that are also sold by the same entity.

The 100% Authentic Team has the same phone number as AMI. In addition, the "Team" seem to be anonymous "experts".

Responsible authenticators should be transparent and available for scrutiny. Even if the "team" is a panel of experts that examine artifacts as a group, that group should be identified individually.

As we know, not everyone can know everything - all the time. However, transparency allows for discussion and discretion on items that people spend their earnings.

As for the other issues with AMI, researching any auction that you consider doing business with, is always recommended.