PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots Jersey

intheminors
09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
This was sold as a John Smith (possibly preseason) game worn jersey from the New England Patriots. Smith played for the Pats from 1974-1983. He was 6'0" and 183 lbs. Some of you might remember two things about Smith: He was lining up for a Field Goal when Howard Cosell broke the news that John Lennon had been shot and he benefited from a convict clearing a path in 1982's Snowplow Game where the Pats beat the Dolphins 3-0.

I bought this thinking it was a 50/50 shot of being game used. The problem for me is that it's a kicker's jersey so it doesn't show much wear (no team repairs, :)).

Does anyone with any New England Pats or jersey knowledge have any insight if the tagging looks right, etc.?

hockeytigers
09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
This is a retail jersey...or it would have been in my collection. :)

intheminors
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
I kind of had a feeling but with the history of the guy, I just thought it was a neat conversation piece.

If you have a "Smith" Pats jersey, I'll trade you straight up! :D

Seriously, if you do have one that you'd consider parting with for my collection, shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks!

intheminors
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
OK, one more question: Who makes a retail jersey of a kicker? Are Pats fans that diehard?

hockeytigers
09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought the same thing...who would want to make a John Smith jersey? I spent a couple days researching this jersey and came to the conclusion that it was a retail jersey. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is the conclusion that I came to. I also contacted a guy in Canada who also has a huge kicker/punter collection and he came to the same conclusion that it was a retail jersey also.

Oddly enough, I contacted John Smith a couple months ago and he was super nice. He sent me a bunch of autographed stuff...that's another reason I was wanting it to be real!