PDA

View Full Version : Carl Yastrzemski Bat

nesportspromotions
07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Guys!

I'm really excited to show a new bat I recently purchased.

First of all... Is it right?

Second of all... I took exception with the bottom of the handle. It looks like it could possibly be a faded "8" written in but it also looks like it could have another number as well. The W215 is as plain as day though. Your thoughts?

Thirdly... It has a high handle crack but the bat is still very much together and sturdy. The crack is 6-8 inches long.

4th... It measures exactly 35 inches but the weight is off. It is only 31.4 ounces but I'm thinking it could be that it has dried out a bit.

Now the pics:

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/july_2006/yaz_bat_1.JPG

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/july_2006/yaz_bat_2.JPG

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/july_2006/yaz_bat_3.JPG

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/july_2006/yaz_bat_4.JPG

http://www.sportsworld-usa.com/larry/july_2006/yaz_bat_5.JPG

Thanks!
Larry

SSB15
07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
As far as the weight is concerned, I am not sure that the bat records are 100% correct on the weights. Earlier this week, I had a former major league baseball player in my office looking at some of his old bats. He told me that he would order 32 ounce bats and some would come in with the correct weight and others would not be the correct weight. He played with Willie Mays. The player told me that Mays could tell which bats were the correct weight and which ones were not the correct weight better than anyone he played with in his career. He then said Mays would use the bats with the incorrect weight for BP and the bats with the correct weight in games.

Scott

nesportspromotions
07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
To me it looks like 1964 1/2 - 1972 labeling period. Am I right?

MSpecht
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Nice looking bat--

Here is the info you are looking for:

From 1964 1/2 to 1972 Yaz' overwhelmiong model of choice was W215 (actually he ordered NO other models between 4/28/65 and 7/2/75). So, clearly, the model is correct for the period.

Weights (which, remember, are subject to environmental variation based on weather, storage conditions, etc.) varied between 31.5 ounces to 34 ounces. The majority of the lighter weights were shipped between 1967 and 1969. So, again, the weight is consistent with the period, as most authenticators will allow a variation of up to 2 ounces from shipping records. (Actually some authenticators will allow a variation of 5 or 6 ounces, which is pretty reckless but is a topic for another time.)

Yaz' shipping records clearly indicate that he wanted knotted wood, "knots," on the bats shipped to him. That appears consistent on the pics of your bat, without having actually seen the bat in person. Also, take a magnifying glass and look over the knob closely, as Yaz requested that the weight be marked on his bats prior to shipping. Often remnants of that marking will withstand time and be seen.

Bottom line ? This appears to be a professional model bat, manufactured by Hillerich & Bradsby between the years 1964 1/2 and 1972, for professional use specifically by Carl Yastrzemski (who had an endorsement contract with the company at the time) which matches Yaz' personal shuipping records. More specific characteristics of the label and the weight would more probably put this bat into the later half of the label period, from 1967 to 1972.

Very nice bat !!!

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

nesportspromotions
07-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks Mike!

A few more quick ones...

#1 Was the writing of the weight on the bottom of the knob in ballpoint, pencil or marker? & #1b Did it literally spell out 31.5, 32.0, etc or were there abbreviations?

#2 How much does a bat with non typical markings on the bottom of the knob go down in "value"? I had reservations about buying this bat b/c of the very faint 8 and also what appears to be a number written over it. Either a #10 or #40

#3 How much does "after game use" hurt it? Right at the end of the barrel, plain as day, it looks like someone used the bat to hit the end of a lead pipe. You can see the crescent shape to the right of the Yaz facsimile. I don't know how Yaz could have done this to the bat in a game.

All the best,
Larry

MSpecht
08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi Larry--

Typically, weights marked on the bat at the time of shipping from H & B (requested by the player) were marked on the knob in pencil, in small numbers, as a small notation (i.e. 34). On vintage bats, particularly those showing a significant of game use, those markings wore off regularly, but, at times, remnants of those numbers may still be seen and add to the authenticity of the bat if the notation "mk. wts." is found in a player's factory records.

The other questions you ask are very subjective. To some collectors, a pristine example of an authentic professional model game used bat is what they look for, while others want to see as much hammered evidence of game use as possible. It really is quite up to the collector. Some authenticators actually reduce grades for excessive game use, feeling, I guess, that it detracts from the overall appearance of the bat ( ???). Here is a good example brought to my attention by Jim Caravello:

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=71673773&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=72020483 (http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=71673773&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=72020483)

Deductions for cleat marks and the 'smearing' caused by a very significant amount of use by a power hitter ? Most collectors would view this as a very desirable Strawberry bat, but the characteristics that make it more desirable have actually caused downgrading by the authenticator. Go figure.

Vintage marker markings on the knob lend authenticity to the period of manufacture and use -- you certainly don't want to be able to smell the Sharpie on the knob of a 30 year old bat. However, evidence of multi-player use ( double or written over numbers ) is not what most collectors look for (unless it was a Smoky Burgess bat showing evidence of use by Roberto Clemente). Post-Major League use, such as the example seen on the barrel end of this bat, is a characteristic that can affect a bat's value, particularly if the use appears to be non-baseball related, such as use of the bat as a hammer.

Again, once you get past authenticating the bat as a professional model manufactured for professional use by a specific player through the use of the documented factory records that are available, the rest is pretty subjective. Sure, a three inch crack at the handle is probably more desirable than a 14 inch severe break running all the way from the center label, but is it more or less desirable than an uncracked bat? You'll find opinions on both sides of that question.

The final answer? Collect in a manner that is most appealing to you. Determine the objective part of the equation -- authenticity -- with all resources available to you, then be happy with your decision when it comes to the subjective part of the equation -- condition. As bob Dylan once wrote, "You've got to please yourself."

Good Luck in future collecting. And again, "Nice Bat."

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sportscentury
08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Mike,

Thanks for this wonderful contribution - fascinating info!

Reid

stkmtimo
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Mike,

Thanks for this wonderful contribution - fascinating info!

Reid

I concur with Reid. I appreciate the information you provided, Mike. It's greatly appreciated and very interesting to read!

Tim

nesportspromotions
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
THANK YOU MIKE!!!

I think you are the most helpful person I have ever encountered, ever. AND I've never even given you one red cent.

It is actually refreshing to meet someone like yourself, (albeit over the internet), that one doesn't have to pay for an opinion.