PDA

View Full Version : AL MVP Race

ChrisCavalier
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Would anyone like to provide their opinions on the possible AL MVP race? I would have to think Josh Hamilton is the leading contender by virtue of the season he is having and the Rangers looking like they will win their division. Does anyone esle have a differing opinion....Cabrera, Bautista (despite his BA), Konerko?

I would love to hear what others think.

Thanks,
Chris

suave1477
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Chris I agree on Josh Hamilton but as the other ones you mentioned.

Bautista and Konerko have been pure beasts this season and I think thats going to play a lot into it who they pick.
I think many were expecting Konerko to start dwindling down this season and that didnt happen.
As far as Jose, well that says it all there lol - Who would of expected he would be such a HR Hitting machine. Don't get me wrong he had shown some flashes of power in his past but nothing like this.

mlbforeverhomer
09-01-2010, 10:45 AM
JOSH HAMILTON no question once the Rangers clinch the playoffs!

tigerdale
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I think the last month of the season will be HUGE for one of these guys to pull away & win the MVP...its just that close...right now I would have to go w/ Hamilton too, followed by Cabrera, Konerko & Bautista in that order..this month will tell the story.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 11:25 AM
If you look beyond hitting, getting to watch hamilton play the field everyday has been awesome. Hope hamilton wins, and i hope i get to finally go to a playoff games.

yanks12025
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I think Hamilton has it in the bag, with Robinson Cano coming in second.

cjclong
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
If the problems Hamilton is having with his knee don't sideline him and he continues as he has he should win. He has truly proved to be a five tool player this year. Most of the others are considered only for their hitting. Hamilton's overall game put him way head if it is considered. He is probably the only one that has scored from second base twice on an infield single.

legaleagle92481
09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Id vote for Miguel Cabbera without hesitation. Hamilton would be second Texeria would be third. Cabbera is in a putrid lineup and is only AL player in top 3 in all triple crown categories. Texiera makes the list because of his great all around game and since June he as much as Cano has carried the Yanks.

schubert1970
09-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Id vote for Miguel Cabbera without hesitation. Hamilton would be second Texeria would be third. Cabbera is in a putrid lineup and is only AL player in top 3 in all triple crown categories. Texiera makes the list because of his great all around game and since June he as much as Cano has carried the Yanks.

DITTO

cjclong
09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure that Texas offense is that much better than Detroit's. They have had almost no production from first base, usually a key offensive position, and catcher all year. Cruz has been out of the lineup and on the DL several times as has Kinsler and Vlad, after a red hot start, hardly hit the ball out of the infield for a month after the All Star game. And Andrus and Young have not gotten on base regularly in front of Hamilton the second half of the year.

sportscrazy13
09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Right now my vote would go to Cabrera with Hamilton a close second. If someone wins it besides one of those two I won't understand why.

Cabrera is having a Pujols type year with he bat. I know Hamilton leads in avg but Cabrera leads in rbi's. To me rbi's is more important. How many times has Cabrera been intentionally walked or pitched around this year with 1st base open and runners in scoring position, as well if he had a stud hitting behind him like Hamilton has Guerrero.... no telling what his numbers would be at this point. I think if Detroit was in first place, Cabrera would be a run away. To bad it may cost him an MVP this year cause he plays on a bad team.

Who ever blows up this last month will win.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Hamiltons 23 point lead in the batting title over cabrera. He is also within shot of the hr's. Also, when it comes to playing the field Cabrera couldnt hold josh hamilton's jock.

schubert1970
09-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Hamiltons 23 point lead in the batting title over cabrera. He is also within shot of the hr's. Also, when it comes to playing the field Cabrera couldnt hold josh hamilton's jock.

Well, heck with Cabrera holding his jock.....JH won't even be holding a bat the rest of the season. MG just won the MVP. Go Miggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beardownaz30
09-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I think J Hamilton is just day to day on the injury report isn't he?
I think its his award to lose. Will be tough to give it to MC with the tigers so far out of playoff contention.

Fnazxc0114
09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Shubert perhaps you should quit watching the national sports media. They will do whatever it takes to help out one of their big market teams. Hes played pretty much every game this season, and his body is a little worn down. He bruised his ribcage on a play that Miggy wouldnt of even been close to making.

Fnazxc0114
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Hope he can finish the season. Wouldnt mind seeing him sit out for a week or even take some time on the DL, if it makes him fresh for the playoff run.

legaleagle92481
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
If I were a Texas fan Hamilton's MVP chances would not be on my mind it would be the fact that Lee is hurting and the team is slipping. They have the SIXTH best record in the AL despite playing in the weakest division therein (the other three teams are all sub .500). In the Al East they would be in fourth place and 11 games out of first. They are ten games below .500 against the AL East and four games under .500 outside their bandbox and they will start playoffs on road against the AL East division winner. If Hamilton and Lee don't get healthy for the playoffs a sweep may be in the cards.

Fnazxc0114
09-08-2010, 02:31 AM
You know none of that stuff means jack in the playoffs. The way the teams been playing lately i hope they dont take a que from the mets of the last decade and choke.

schubert1970
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Shubert perhaps you should quit watching the national sports media. They will do whatever it takes to help out one of their big market teams. Hes played pretty much every game this season, and his body is a little worn down. He bruised his ribcage on a play that Miggy wouldnt of even been close to making.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/09/voter_scout_favor_tigers_migue.html

Go Miggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sportscrazy13
09-24-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/09/voter_scout_favor_tigers_migue.html

Go Miggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine what kind of numbers Miggy would have if he played in the Rangers launching pad.

Three intentional walks shy of Ted Williams AL record, pretty impressive.

Fnazxc0114
09-24-2010, 11:28 PM
With hamilton hurt it will probably go to someone on the yankees. Miggy is a great hitter, but he cant change the game in the field. I wonder if the national media would hold a grudge against him for beating his wife last year?

legaleagle92481
09-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Call me crazy but I think Jose Bautista takes it. Miggy is not playing well this month, his team sucks and his overall numbers are not otherworldy. Jose is on an over .500 team with a .500 plus record in the AL East. Yes it is in fourth place but they dont have near the talent of the three teams in front of them posses and in the offseason they had traded the probable NL Cy Young Award Winner. The guy has 52 homers and 118 RBIs, .622 slugging % and a 1.005 ops with 100 runs scored. His ba is low at .268 but I think in a down year he will take it based on the increadible power stats, especially if he wrests the RBI crown from Miggy.

schubert1970
09-25-2010, 09:20 AM
With hamilton hurt it will probably go to someone on the yankees. Miggy is a great hitter, but he cant change the game in the field. I wonder if the national media would hold a grudge against him for beating his wife last year?

If you want to take the sour grapes approach, Josh doesn't have a real nice clean past either. Guy can't keep more then 20 bucks on him.

When Miggy wins I'll be the first one to say I told you so. Lol

Also he'll finish up strong, unlike Cano.

sportscrazy13
09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Call me crazy but I think Jose Bautista takes it. Miggy is not playing well this month, his team sucks and his overall numbers are not otherworldy. Jose is on an over .500 team with a .500 plus record in the AL East. Yes it is in fourth place but they dont have near the talent of the three teams in front of them posses and in the offseason they had traded the probable NL Cy Young Award Winner. The guy has 52 homers and 118 RBIs, .622 slugging % and a 1.005 ops with 100 runs scored. His ba is low at .268 but I think in a down year he will take it based on the increadible power stats, especially if he wrests the RBI crown from Miggy.

Well as of right now both the Jays and Tigers have 78-75 records. Leading the league in HRs doesn't mean you're the MVP. Plus I think with a 266 avg you better have 50+ HRs and like 150+ RBIs.

In 2005 Andruw Jones lead the NL with 51 HRs and 128 RBIs on a division winning Braves team. But Pujols won the MVP cause he had better overall numbers in which the cards also won their division.

To me a month ago Hamilton and Cabrera were separated from the rest of the MVP pack. They stood alone as far as the MVP race. Hamilton hasn't played sense. And I don't see anyone else having the overall season that Miggy is having. On top of that I think Vladimir Guerrero will take away votes from Hamilton.

Fnazxc0114
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
210 batting avg and 2 hr's in miggys first 70 at bats of sept, bet it goes to cano, and would have gone to hamilton if he hadnt of gotten hurt. Im just bitter our best player is hurt, and daddy aint ever been to a playoff game lol. If anything Miggys past is a testament to the year he had this year. Looks like it made him grow up a little and the results speak for themselves.

If you want to take the sour grapes approach, Josh doesn't have a real nice clean past either. Guy can't keep more then 20 bucks on him.

cubbs1232
09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow noone even mentions Carl Crawfords' name. He's only batting .307 with 16 homers 87 rbis 46 steals and has scored 104 times. Not to mention hes one of the top five best outfielders in the game (should win a gold glove this year). He carries that team offensively and defensively. He is the only .300 hitter on a team whose team BA .250. He is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on any team in MLB.

vdsporty25
09-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Cabrera is a one dimensional player. He is a very talented hitter but he is an average defensive first baseman on his best days. He is not a team leader and has no business winning an award that is supposed to go to a player who is the most valuable in the entire American League. Short memories for a lot of fans as they must have forgotten he bailed on his team during the Tigers playoff run last year.....the guy is a joke. MVP's don't do that when there team is on the brink of clinching a division. I don't care if he hits 80 HRS a year....he's a bum.

Guys that won't get the award but I think should would be Delmon Young or Carl Crawford. Without those guys I think the Twins and Rays wouldn't be where they are today. Both players make a difference at the plate and in the field with little fanfare from the media. Cano deserves consideration as well but he plays for the Yankees and has a lot of help so that will hurt him in the voting. Just my 2 cents....:D

legaleagle92481
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow noone even mentions Carl Crawfords' name. He's only batting .307 with 16 homers 87 rbis 46 steals and has scored 104 times. Not to mention hes one of the top five best outfielders in the game (should win a gold glove this year). He carries that team offensively and defensively. He is the only .300 hitter on a team whose team BA .250. He is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER on any team in MLB.

Its the power stats that kill his chances. If your an outfielder unless you are hitting like .330 plus you are not winning the MVP with sub 20 hrs and sub 100 rbis. Plus Longoria is the guy everyone thinks of when they think of the Rays. I have read writers some of whom have a vote saying Evan should be a prime contender with Miggy, Hamilton, Cano, Bautista, etc. The five best OFs argument is weak as well because there are so few good ones. You have him, Hamilton, Ichiro and that is kind of it. Other than Ichiro no really future HOF locks in the OF.

cjclong
09-29-2010, 02:04 PM
There is no doubt that Cabrera is an excellent hitter and hits in a ballpark that is is very large. However the idea that he alone hit in a weak line up and everyone else had great support in their lineup is misleading. As far as Hamillton is concerned, Vlad had a good year, but there was a period of time for about a month around the all star game that he was stone cold. Hamilton was carrying the Rangers team with very little help. Both Nelson Cruz and Kinsler have both been on the DL twice for extended periods. The Rangers had little or no production from the first base position, normally a strong point for a team, as well as anemic production at catcher all season. And Young and Andrus got on base much less frequently the scond half meaning Hamiton was batting with two outs, no one on base and not a lot of protection behind him for much of the season.

suave1477
09-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Well as another member here mentioned it gtes more involved with the power numbers and not to take anything away from Crawforrd and I am just pulling a name out of a hat. Such as Posada for comparison.
(Please keep in mind Posada has been riding the bench for 1/3 the season)

Jorge Posada Carl Crawford
BA 253 309
HR 18 17
RBI 57 87
RUNS 49 106
OBP 361 360

So for comparison your numbers should be far beyond a guy who rode the bench for part of a season to be considered for MVP

LastingsMilledge85
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Well as another member here mentioned it gtes more involved with the power numbers and not to take anything away from Crawforrd and I am just pulling a name out of a hat. Such as Posada for comparison.
(Please keep in mind Posada has been riding the bench for 1/3 the season)

Jorge Posada Carl Crawford
BA 253 309
HR 18 17
RBI 57 87
RUNS 49 106
OBP 361 360

So for comparison your numbers should be far beyond a guy who rode the bench for part of a season to be considered for MVP

How do those Posada numbers prove anything other than HRs? He plays in a smaller venue and has always had more power than Crawford. OBP should be higher if your ABs are much more limited, and you said it yourself that Posada has been riding the pine for a good part of the season so his amount of ABs aren't even close to Crawford who is an everyday player. I'm not saying Crawford should be the MVP, but in no way should he be compared to Posada who has always possessed more power than Crawford who has never hit more than 18 hrs in a single season. IMO, power numbers shouldn't be the deciding factor in this vote, but I am also not a one for accolades as in a team sense or worthless.

Fnazxc0114
09-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Im calling hamilton, even though hes been out since early sept he carried the team when guerroro was slumping as well as when kinsler was out. Miguel has had a bad month and he realy hasnt produced, not that it would make any difference int the outcome of the season. Maur won last year with about the same amount of games as hamilton.

suave1477
09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
How do those Posada numbers prove anything other than HRs? He plays in a smaller venue and has always had more power than Crawford. OBP should be higher if your ABs are much more limited, and you said it yourself that Posada has been riding the pine for a good part of the season so his amount of ABs aren't even close to Crawford who is an everyday player. I'm not saying Crawford should be the MVP, but in no way should he be compared to Posada who has always possessed more power than Crawford who has never hit more than 18 hrs in a single season. IMO, power numbers shouldn't be the deciding factor in this vote, but I am also not a one for accolades as in a team sense or worthless.

My point to this was to show that Crawfords numbers should by far be passed a guy who has been riding the bench. Not just in power but yes that is apart of it. Posada hit 57 rbi's Crawford 87 rbi's - so basically if Posada played the full season he would be somewhere near, if not passed 87.
Runs? Posada when he is playing and is in the lineup, he is in front of no one. He is usually somewhere around 6th or 7th - the 8th and 9th player is usually no one. So for him to even have 49 and been riding the bench is still good.

My point I was making is, you need better stats than that to be considered for MVP. You should be way above the rest NOT (on pace with a guy who has been riding the bench)

LastingsMilledge85
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
My point to this was to show that Crawfords numbers should by far be passed a guy who has been riding the bench. Not just in power but yes that is apart of it. Posada hit 57 rbi's Crawford 87 rbi's - so basically if Posada played the full season he would be somewhere near, if not passed 87.
Runs? Posada when he is playing and is in the lineup, he is in front of no one. He is usually somewhere around 6th or 7th - the 8th and 9th player is usually no one. So for him to even have 49 and been riding the bench is still good.

My point I was making is, you need better stats than that to be considered for MVP. You should be way above the rest NOT (on pace with a guy who has been riding the bench)

Crawford is a leadoff hitter so it would make sense that he doesn't have 100 RBI.

cubbs1232
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
He actually hitting 3rd in the lineup but for more than half the season he was bating 2nd which explains his rbis.
Suave as far as Posada not hitting in front of anyone he plays on the Yankees where everyone is someone.
Sure Crawford hits in front of Longo but look @ longos numbers they are all down. They hit in a lineup where their 1st baseman and 2 of their 3 catchers his below 200. They have no dh that can hit their weight. Crawford is by far the mvp on the Rays and should be in the running for the mvp of the AL.

suave1477
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Crawford is a leadoff hitter so it would make sense that he doesn't have 100 RBI.

I understand that but as mentioned he has been in the 2nd and 3rd spot.

cubbs as far as Posada playing for the Yankees and everyone is someone is actually not true.
When your hitting in front of:

Francisco Cervelli Ba .266
Ramiro Pena Ba .231
Austin Kearns Ba .266
Derek Jeter Ba. 268 (obviously slumping)
Juan Miranda Ba .222
Golson Ba .261

Your not getting moved around a whole lot

suave1477
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Crawford hits in front of Longo but look @ longos numbers they are all down. .

Longo's numbers are down? They don't look too bad to me. They are borderline the same as Crawfords if not even slightly better. If anything you should be rooting for Longo in the MVP Race.

Longo
BA. 294
HR 22
RBI 104
Runs 96
OBP 372
SB 15

Crawford
BA 309
HR 17
RBI 87
Runs 106
OBP 360
SB 46

legaleagle92481
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
How about Adrian Beltre? .323 28 and 102 with gold glove caliber defense on a team that was alive until there was a handful of games left in the season that was also missing its two best players for much of the year. It should be noted that in the AL West, NL Central or NL West or NL Wild Card the Sox would still be in the mix. They are 16 games over .500. Honestly I have no idea who I would vote for. If a guy missed the most important month of the season, September (Hamilton) can he really be MVP? Or a guy whose team was eliminated before the All Star Break who does not play defense? (Miguel), or a guy who is having a great year but arguably is the fourth player in his own infield? (Cano), or a guy who hits alot of homers on a fourth place team who is sitting south of .260 and does not even have 150 hits? (Bautista) or a guy who has not broken 20 hrs or 100 rbis despite hitting 3rd in his lineup? (Crawford). To me all the candidates are flawed with pluses and minuses.

lakeerie92
09-30-2010, 03:36 PM
How about Adrian Beltre? .323 28 and 102 with gold glove caliber defense on a team that was alive until there was a handful of games left in the season that was also missing its two best players for much of the year. It should be noted that in the AL West, NL Central or NL West or NL Wild Card the Sox would still be in the mix. They are 16 games over .500. Honestly I have no idea who I would vote for. If a guy missed the most important month of the season, September (Hamilton) can he really be MVP? Or a guy whose team was eliminated before the All Star Break who does not play defense? (Miguel), or a guy who is having a great year but arguably is the fourth player in his own infield? (Cano), or a guy who hits alot of homers on a fourth place team who is sitting south of .260 and does not even have 150 hits? (Bautista) or a guy who has not broken 20 hrs or 100 rbis despite hitting 3rd in his lineup? (Crawford). To me all the candidates are flawed with pluses and minuses.
What about Konerko? The Chisox were in it for a while. They even led the division at the break. This year was a major resurgence for him after a rough year last year.

LastingsMilledge85
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Personally, I would pick someone from the Rangers considering it's the first time in several years that they have made the postseason and have two guys in my mind that are intrical parts to their success, Michael Young and Vladimir Guerrero. Young's numbers may not be MVP worthy but he really is a clutch, team player.

Fnazxc0114
09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
That might be about the best sleeper pic ive seen. Hamilton has carried the rangers a lot more than Young and vlad have. Young is a horrible defender. He is the backbone of the rangers, but he isnt as clutch as hes been in the past.

legaleagle92481
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
What about Konerko? The Chisox were in it for a while. They even led the division at the break. This year was a major resurgence for him after a rough year last year.

He is another one, wow his numbers are high.

legaleagle92481
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Personally, I would pick someone from the Rangers considering it's the first time in several years that they have made the postseason and have two guys in my mind that are intrical parts to their success, Michael Young and Vladimir Guerrero. Young's numbers may not be MVP worthy but he really is a clutch, team player.

Can you really argue Young is the MVP of the league? He is hitting 15 points below his career average, as a 3rd baseman he won't top 100 RBIs or even 25 homers. He has many 200 hit seasons, this year unless he gets five plus hits in each of the next three games he will fall short. He may not even break 100 runs. How clutch is he? The team has run away with the division and he has never played a postseason game. His defensive is terrible. Yes he is a good team player and the way he switched positions last year for a rookie was admirable and classly but that does not make him MVP of the entire league. Longoria, Beltre and heck even Arod are having better years as 3rd baseman and Bautista played 48 games there and is obviously having a better year. If he were selected it would probably be the most dubious selection ever.

Vlad slumped for most of the second half and other than RBIs is another guy short on stats (he does not even have 90 runs or 30 hrs) and he is a full time DH. If you took the give it to him just cause of the team philosophy the MVP Award would be meaningless and the team is not all that good. They are not the 98 Yankees. Of the already clinched playoff teams and the probabale NL wild card Braves the Rangers are tied with the Reds for the worst record despite playing in MLB's weakest division. No other division was remotely close to as bad as the AL West. They won the Division by 11 games no other division was closer than seven. Also no other division did not have at least one and in many cases two other .500 teams in it.

sox83cubs84
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM

I'd enjoy seeing Paulie win it, but it won't happen. The White Sox don't get much national love (see Ken Burns thread), and the writers will likely turn their attention to either more intriguing stories (Cabrera or Hamilton) or overexposed players from the ESPN-sponsored teams (Cano or Jeter).

Dave Miedema

cjclong
10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
If a player were picked from the Rangers I would have to disagree with Vlad or Young as much as I like him and go with Hamilton. Young showed an example of his being a clutch player when he won the All Star game for the American League when he knocked in the winning runs with a two out hit in the ninth inning with two strikes against Trevor Hoffman when the American League was losing by a run. He also hit a sacrifice fly to win another All Star game in extra innings. Not many players drive in the wining run in the 9th inning or later in an All Star game. That said, he isn't quite the hitter he was several years ago and Hamilton carried the team when a lot of guys were slumping. I don't know where the gripe about Jeter comes from, I hadn't heard his name at all this year. And you could make a very solid case he deserved the MVP the year Morneau won. 'The fact that so many names are mentioned proves there is no one outstanding candidate this year although several players have had very good years.

Fnazxc0114
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Any idea which weak team sweeped the yankess a few weeks back? In the playoffs none of the crap you mentioned matters. 1-9 the rangers are one of the toughest teams in baseball. They battled with injuries from key guys for a large part of the season. I could care less because ill be going to all of the playoff games here in the metroplex.

Can you really argue Young is the MVP of the league? He is hitting 15 points below his career average, as a 3rd baseman he won't top 100 RBIs or even 25 homers. He has many 200 hit seasons, this year unless he gets five plus hits in each of the next three games he will fall short. He may not even break 100 runs. How clutch is he? The team has run away with the division and he has never played a postseason game. His defensive is terrible. Yes he is a good team player and the way he switched positions last year for a rookie was admirable and classly but that does not make him MVP of the entire league. Longoria, Beltre and heck even Arod are having better years as 3rd baseman and Bautista played 48 games there and is obviously having a better year. If he were selected it would probably be the most dubious selection ever.

Vlad slumped for most of the second half and other than RBIs is another guy short on stats (he does not even have 90 runs or 30 hrs) and he is a full time DH. If you took the give it to him just cause of the team philosophy the MVP Award would be meaningless and the team is not all that good. They are not the 98 Yankees. Of the already clinched playoff teams and the probabale NL wild card Braves the Rangers are tied with the Reds for the worst record despite playing in MLB's weakest division. No other division was remotely close to as bad as the AL West. They won the Division by 11 games no other division was closer than seven. Also no other division did not have at least one and in many cases two other .500 teams in it.