PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Shipping Question

Klattsy
09-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Hi All,

I am a baseball fan/memorabilia collector from Australia. I have recently taken an interest in GU items. So far my baseball collection is limited to baseball cards, but I have an extensive Australian sport memorabilia collection.

I have been hunting down ways of obtain MLB memorabilia and have stumbled across your site. It certainly seems like a wealth of knowledge and I hope to be able to tap into it.

I have been trying to convince myself that eBay is an OK place to by GU/AU memorabilia, but have decided against it as I just cannot trust resellers. Some of the COA's look to easy to fake and some COA's just don't look right. I am talking about the Steiner items here.

These are some of the items I am interested in, but without MLB Authentication, it's hard to trust them...
Craig Shipley Bat (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250627160107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154)
Justin Huber Bat (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270628127310&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154)
Trent Oeltjen Jersey (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270629407111&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2308wt_1137)
Luke Hughes Glove (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270530006311&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_522wt_1137)

My last resort is mlb.com auctions or buying off the authenticator (Steiner/UDA) directly (which frankly I can't afford). I don't even think I trust Mounted Memories? Or am I just being paranoid! Surely ANY item that is for sale on mlb.com HAS to be genuine...or is this me being ignorant? Regardless, I have perused the Collector to Collector forum and there seems to be some great items here, but am concerned about postage for bats especially.

My first question for this great forum is does anyone know exact shipping costs for shipping items such as bats, balls, jersey's, caps internationally? I see prices up to $300 on mlb.com auctions...any ballpark figure I should be factoring into costs? I know I can't negotiate with mlb.com but maybe if I was to buy here, what I would be up for?

Thanks again,
Mark.

Fnazxc0114
09-01-2010, 02:52 AM
Welcome to the forum. I too found the forum much like you did. I spent more time reading the archives, and basically learning what to look for when it comes to buying g/u stuff than i did anything else when i joined this site. The archives are a wealth of knowledge, as well as one of the other sections of this forum which basically tells you what to look for on jerseys. Good luck in your search. As far as shipping is concerned try looking at the usps website. They usually can give you a round about idea on how much shipping cost. Sorry i couldnt help you more in that regard.

perlman9
09-01-2010, 06:52 AM
I believe when I sold a bat to Japan it was over $100 to ship. Crazy expensive and that was through Fed Ex I believe. I am sure MLB charges much more do to all the paperwork that needs filled out, etc plus they may have more forms to deal with than a normal seller. But unfortunately, shipping overseas for bats is extremely high. I believe jerseys are less than half that.

spartakid
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I shipped a few jerseys to japan a while back for $45 or so. Not too bad. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Ricardo

Mark17
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
As was mentioned in a previous post, you can go to some websites like fedex.com and the US postal service usps.com and check out rates.

If I was in your place, I would try to find someone in the USA, like a family member or very close friend you could trust, and have them receive packages. Then every so often have them put together one large shipment and send it overseas. Better yet, if they periodically travel to Australia, maybe they could bring your stuff over as checked baggage.

Here's another thought. I just sent 2 bats to a US military serviceman in the middle east, and with $500 insurance and priority mail service, it only cost $20.00. The reason is, I only had to pay postage to get it into the hands of the military, and they delivered it from there. So, do you happen to know any US servicemen stationed near you, and would they be willing to help you out?

I wouldn't do anything like that unless I 100% trusted the person and they 100% trust you. And, there can be complications if items arrive that are misrepresented or damaged, or if you order something that never arrives. However, if you do know the right person, and if by chance they share your hobby interests, some kind of arrangement like that might save you a bundle in shipping costs.

Good luck, and welcome,
Mark

BULBUS
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
My first question for this great forum is does anyone know exact shipping costs for shipping items such as bats, balls, jersey's, caps internationally?

A bat shipped from the states to Australia via US International Priority Mail, with $500 insurance, is about $50.

-Chris

Klattsy
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
BULBUS - Thanks very much for that. It's good to know.

I have an auntie in New York City (they where at the HOF Induction weekend - they are good friends with Jon Miller). But i'd hate to impose on her as they travel alot. But it's an option. Worst bit is I wouldn't see the item for so long!

No servicemen nearby that I know of.

If I can keep shipping to around $50 an item it should be OK.

Look forward to flicking through the archives this weekend. Jealous of some of the stuff that has sold on here!

Thanks for the welcomes!

Mark.
(Australia)

lakeerie92
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The Trent Oeltjen jersey is MLB Authenticated, the hologram is on the cool base tag at the bottom. Mounted Memories is good in my book. I was the same way at first about not buying anything unless it was MLB authenticated. I use the forum now to make my determinations and it allows me to collect more and feel comfortable about it.

Tedw9
09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the board Mark!

Let me see if I can answer a couple of more questions for you.

First, you mention you don't think you can trust Mounted Memories. I can safely say that Mounted Memories is a 100% legit autograph company. They do not sell game used that I know of, but they are very legit when it comes to autographs. Make sure the item you are looking at has the Mounted Memories hologram on the item.

And I looked at the list of Ebay items you listed. There are only 2 I can comfortably speak to, the first one is the Justin Huber bat. I would avoid that seller just on feedback rating alone. I find if a seller is below 99%, you are playing with fire. That is just my experience, others may say otherwise. And being where you are, fighting an issue would be a real pain in the butt!

The second one is the Trent Oeltjen jersey. I would have no issue with that because it has the MLB hologram attached, your safe with that one and the seller has great feedback.

Of course, as you mentioned, the BST forum on here is a fantastic place to buy game used items. There are some really smart guys on here who know their stuff. These boards are a treasure trove of information and cool stuff for sale or trade.

Either way, I hope to see you post often, sharing your new pick ups with the rest of us.

Cheers!

joelsabi
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
As was mentioned in a previous post, you can go to some websites like fedex.com and the US postal service usps.com and check out rates.

If I was in your place, I would try to find someone in the USA, like a family member or very close friend you could trust, and have them receive packages. Then every so often have them put together one large shipment and send it overseas. Better yet, if they periodically travel to Australia, maybe they could bring your stuff over as checked baggage.

Here's another thought. I just sent 2 bats to a US military serviceman in the middle east, and with $500 insurance and priority mail service, it only cost $20.00. The reason is, I only had to pay postage to get it into the hands of the military, and they delivered it from there. So, do you happen to know any US servicemen stationed near you, and would they be willing to help you out?

I wouldn't do anything like that unless I 100% trusted the person and they 100% trust you. And, there can be complications if items arrive that are misrepresented or damaged, or if you order something that never arrives. However, if you do know the right person, and if by chance they share your hobby interests, some kind of arrangement like that might save you a bundle in shipping costs.

Good luck, and welcome,
Mark

Mark17,
Nice suggestions.

Mark,

if you want to go the direct route I would email the seller on ebay and ask for the exact price for shipping going to Australia. I notice one of the seller posted $35 shipping just inside the USA.

Also you need a seller willing to mail to Australia. I once sent a package to Australia and the shipping was steep, I think around $50 for a medium package. I used USPS "Priority Mail - Internal Medium/Large Parcel Flat Rate Box" plus tracking. You need someone willing to fill out the forms in the post office so I would ask the seller if they have experience shipping to Australia and how much.

MSpecht
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the forum---

There are a few Shipley bats on Ebay from Blue Chip. They are a good compamy that will probably be willing to work with you as far as mailing if you call or email them directly before ordering..

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-AUTOGRAPH-/250595186231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58a31637 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-AUTOGRAPH-/250595186231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58a31637)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-R454B-/250595186519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58a31757 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-R454B-/250595186519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58a31757)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-R454B-/250627160107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a8af82b (http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-SHIPLEY-Game-Used-Bat-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-R454B-/250627160107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a8af82b)

Left Field Collectibles also has 3 or 4 Shipley bats... The owner, Art jaffe, is as reliable as they come and also would probably be responsive to a phone call or email about shipping prior to ordering.

http://www.leftfieldcollectibles.com/CS/ProductList.aspx?ca=MB&from=S&to=U&sort=Name (http://www.leftfieldcollectibles.com/CS/ProductList.aspx?ca=MB&from=S&to=U&sort=Name)

The problem may be that there is, in my opinion, significantly more work involved in overseas shipping, and not everyone may be willing to do that for a $50 sale. I know, sellers should treat a $ 10 customer the same as a $ 500 customer, but that isn't always so.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Klattsy
09-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the points everyone!

The Trent Oeltjen jersey is MLB Authenticated, the hologram is on the cool base tag at the bottom.

I did a bit of research on this piece, and Trent didn't even play in this game. If he wore it while sitting on the bench, is it still considered "game used" I thought that ommision of fact was a bit dodgy...

Also you need a seller willing to mail to Australia. I once sent a package to Australia and the shipping was steep, I think around $50 for a medium package. I used USPS "Priority Mail - Internal Medium/Large Parcel Flat Rate Box" plus tracking.

I have this problem (finding sellers to ship) with cards. Is there different companies in the states that do shipping? Sometimes I recieve bubble mailers with cards with $1.44 postage on them...so sellers want up to $15 postage...would the more expensive options be insurance/tracking ect? When you say USPS - is that different from chucking something into an A5 bubble mailer and taking it down the post office?

Welcome to the forum---

There are a few Shipley bats on Ebay from Blue Chip. They are a good company that will probably be willing to work with you as far as mailing if you call or email them directly before ordering..

Left Field Collectibles also has 3 or 4 Shipley bats... The owner, Art jaffe, is as reliable as they come and also would probably be responsive to a phone call or email about shipping prior to ordering.

Thanks for the links Mike. I saw the Shipley's there, but again, because of no MLB Authentication I was worried about them...

How hard is it to forge GU bats? With the names printed on it ect... Especially from common players like Craig Shipley, Dave Nilsson ect...would people even bother? And can you forge a MLB Authentication holo?

Of course, as you mentioned, the BST forum on here is a fantastic place to buy game used items. There are some really smart guys on here who know their stuff. These boards are a treasure trove of information and cool stuff for sale or trade.

Either way, I hope to see you post often, sharing your new pick ups with the rest of us.

I have a feeling that I will be asking a lot of questions here. It maybe a while before my first purchase so i'll probably ask a lot of redundant questions but hopefully you will all be patient with me!

One last question - how do you get the forums to display the oldest posts at the top on page 1 and the newest at the bottom of the last page? The past couple of days it seems some threads are newest to oldest while some are the opposite!

Thanks,
Mark.

joelsabi
09-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I have this problem (finding sellers to ship) with cards. Is there different companies in the states that do shipping? Sometimes I recieve bubble mailers with cards with $1.44 postage on them...so sellers want up to $15 postage...would the more expensive options be insurance/tracking ect? When you say USPS - is that different from chucking something into an A5 bubble mailer and taking it down the post office?

One last question - how do you get the forums to display the oldest posts at the top on page 1 and the newest at the bottom of the last page? The past couple of days it seems some threads are newest to oldest while some are the opposite!

Thanks,
Mark.

there is a government owned such as united states postal service and then private companies such as federal express (fedex) and UPS (united parcel service). they all have websites online to calculate postage. I think what sellers do is overcharge for the "handling" (time spent going to the post office, time spent in line, time filling out internation transaction forms that you would normally not do for domestic sales) . I have made it a point for international sellers to contact me prior to bidding to determine shipping cost. the gentlemen I did a transaction with has travelled to the United States before and once had to mail excess baggage to Australia. He told me usps was the cheapest and sent me to this link to determine postage, http://ircalc.usps.gov/ based on size of package.

on the last question, you need to change your user option. at the top of the page you will see a line of dropdowns menus. click on the last dropdown (quick links) and you will see other options. Click on "Edit Options". Scroll down to the section titled "thread display options." You will change the first or three dropdowns to "Linear - oldest first" Save at the changes at the bottom of the page by click the "save changes" button.

lakeerie92
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the points everyone!

I did a bit of research on this piece, and Trent didn't even play in this game. If he wore it while sitting on the bench, is it still considered "game used" I thought that ommision of fact was a bit dodgy...

Most jerseys are worn for more than one game. It might have been authenticated after a game he didn't play in, but if you try to photomatch it you can probably date it to other games he played in.

joelsabi
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Most jerseys are worn for more than one game. It might have been authenticated after a game he didn't play in, but if you try to photomatch it you can probably date it to other games he played in.

I am not sure in this case. "los d'back" logos look like a one game deal but maybe its for a series. was this done for the immigration protest?

Klattsy
09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
click on the last dropdown (quick links) and you will see other options. Click on "Edit Options". Scroll down to the section titled "thread display options." You will change the first or three dropdowns to "Linear - oldest first" Save at the changes at the bottom of the page by click the "save changes" button.

Genius. Thanks HEAPS. The seller was describing it as "RARE". I can't access ebay at work to check again, I was under the impression it was a one time thing as well.

Just curious as to what people thought about this comment of mine: "How hard is it to forge GU bats? With the names printed on it ect... Especially from common players like Craig Shipley, Dave Nilsson ect...would people even bother? And can you forge a MLB Authentication holo?'

Would anyone bother forging these?

Thanks and have a good weekend,
Mark.

spartakid
09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I think you hit it on the head about forging common players' bats. Odd are if someone is going to go through the trouble, they will do it with a big name player that they can make more off of. It is definitely safer, although not completely free of fakes, to buy lesser know players. As far as forging an MLB Hologram, the numbers can be checked on the database on mlb.com. So short of hacking the MLB database or having someone on the inside this would be impossible to do. (I've never heard of this happening).

Klattsy
09-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Sorry to re-hash this thread, but I have another issue along these lines...

There are some GU cleats for auction, again, they are a special issue and the description is thus: "This game used pair of cleats was worn by Grant Balfour in the August 13, 2010 Turn Back the Clock game vs. the Baltimore Orioles. Cleats and signature authenticated by Major League Baseball. Proceeds from this auction will benefit the Rays Baseball Foundation as well as the Moffitt Cancer Center."

Again, Grant did not pitch in this game at all, but I assume he was in the bullpen. So is it really game worn if they where sitting on the bench? I mean, as we have talked about in another thread, you can be suited up on the bench but still be on the DL - would that be considered GU?

These are probably going to be my first GU purchase, and it would be a shame to degrade them in anyway...

Also, does $50 postage for a pair of cleats sound a lot? I could get them sent to my aunties place in NY for $15...but then how much to forward to Australia? Does anyone have a handy pair they could weigh up for me?

Thanks,
Mark.

Dach0sen0ne
09-10-2010, 07:58 PM
They would be game worn, but not game used. You see it a bunch with pitchers that dont pitch during a Turn Back The Clock game or something like a Jackie Robinson Day game. I guess if you collect the guy it shouldnt matter, but if you're looking for something worn in a game he played. You might want to pick up something else.

Klattsy
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
They would be game worn, but not game used. You see it a bunch with pitchers that dont pitch during a Turn Back The Clock game or something like a Jackie Robinson Day game. I guess if you collect the guy it shouldnt matter, but if you're looking for something worn in a game he played. You might want to pick up something else.

Yes I do collect him, and the fact that they are MLB Certified (GU & AU) lends weight to the price tag, but would $100 + $50 postage be unreasonable for a game worn item?