PDA

View Full Version : Latest Gamble - Ripken BP hat

Rob L
08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Took a stab at this one. A mid-1990s BP cap. Mears LOO.

vballGuy
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Rob,

Looks awesome! Based on the fact that the cap has a MLB logo on the backside indicates that this is a post 1992 cap. Would love to see photos of the inside tags under the cap if you have them.

- Tim

sox83cubs84
08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
It probably is Cal Jr.'s, but it's not a BP cap as exists today. BP caps didn't appear in MLB until 1998-99 ( I forget which) and the styles between now and then have all used some form of micromesh or dry-fit fabric.

Dave Miedema

bigtime59
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
It probably is Cal Jr.'s, but it's not a BP cap as exists today. BP caps didn't appear in MLB until 1998-99 ( I forget which) and the styles between now and then have all used some form of micromesh or dry-fit fabric.

Dave Miedema

Well...yes and no. This cap was introduced as an alternate in 1995, but for some reason, the Orioles chose to use them almost exclusively as BP caps. (This is the same year they were removing the placket piping from the alternate jerseys by hand! :mad: :eek: :mad: )

legaleagle92481
08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Nice cap. The thing about guys like Cal is he retired before the game used boom so anything you can find that he wore is awesome.

Rob L
08-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Rob,

Looks awesome! Based on the fact that the cap has a MLB logo on the backside indicates that this is a post 1992 cap. Would love to see photos of the inside tags under the cap if you have them.

- Tim

Tim, here you go.

joelsabi
08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Tim, here you go.

Based on the tags, dating it to 1999-2000.

bigtime59
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Based on the tags, dating it to 1999-2000.

That cap was worn from 1995-1997. Replaced by a one-year style cap in 1998 and then again in 1999 by the cap that was worn through 2008.
BTW, if the bird is fat and puffy, it's most likely a 1997 game cap (if legitimate).

The Feds
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Rob,

Why the obvious attempt to cover up the size in the photo of the tagging, by pushing up the crown of the cap so that it covers the 7 1/4?

Oh....that's right, Cal Ripken wore a 7 3/8 during this period, making your cap something else altogether. Now I understand.

allstarsplus
09-04-2010, 03:20 PM
This same discussion occurred with a Ripken batting helmet. Cal wore a 7 3/8 during the late 1980's until the end of his career in 2001. I have seen real Cal caps from 1995 that were all 7 3/8 and they also had good use.

The cap pictured looks fresh and some ink run around the #8

Why try to change history?

SaintsGeaux
09-04-2010, 07:57 PM
In 1996 I was attending the Orioles game in Texas in April. The Rangers cleaned up on the Orioles. I think they scored 29 runs and I was there to get Billy Ripken items. The Orioles were disgusted after being killed so I got Billys cap, Cals cap and many others as i think they wanted to get rid of everything from that aweful game.

Can you guess Cals cap size? 7 3/8

Doubt he changed cap sizes at that part of his career.

Danny899
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
In 1996 I was attending the Orioles game in Texas in April. The Rangers cleaned up on the Orioles. I think they scored 29 runs and I was there to get Billy Ripken items. The Orioles were disgusted after being killed so I got Billys cap, Cals cap and many others as i think they wanted to get rid of everything from that aweful game.

Wow, lucky you! Out of all the people there at the ballpark that day, only you walked away with game worn caps of the Ripken brothers? You must be very special. Could you please post some pictures of these wonderful aquisitions? That would be a joy to view those gems here on this forum. Just one other thing. You really think a player wears only 1 hat size in his career? Especially a career like Ripken's that spanned nearly 20 years?

SaintsGeaux
09-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, lucky you! Out of all the people there at the ballpark that day, only you walked away with game worn caps of the Ripken brothers? You must be very special. Could you please post some pictures of these wonderful aquisitions? That would be a joy to view those gems here on this forum. Just one other thing. You really think a player wears only 1 hat size in his career? Especially a career like Ripken's that spanned nearly 20 years?

Danny, I was 15 then and then in Texas with my father. I got several caps and was wearing a orioles shirt and we moved late in the game to the area behind the dugout after the game for autographs.

All my stuff is stored at my fathers while I am working at the Pentagon. Billy Ripken has been one of my favorites. Sure you are right that people change cap sizes but anyone that has followed Cal can tell you that he was very consitent with his stuff. Maybe go up in sizes doubt he goes down

Rob L
09-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Rob,

Why the obvious attempt to cover up the size in the photo of the tagging, by pushing up the crown of the cap so that it covers the 7 1/4?

Oh....that's right, Cal Ripken wore a 7 3/8 during this period, making your cap something else altogether. Now I understand.

Hi HBW, I don't have it yet. Arrives next Wed.

Rob L
09-06-2010, 01:27 AM
For those interested, these were Troy at MEARS comments:

Rob,
…… When it comes to the Ripken cap in question, I remember the cap. I have several caps in my personal collection, both from impeccalbe sources, one of each size, 7 1/4, 7 3/8.
Remember, a size 7 1/4 cap is also a size 7 2/8's. So the difference is only 1/8, and not enough for us to reject the cap due to size. In additon, we inspected the formation of the 8 in the brim, and was very comfortable with it. I have seen dozens of fakes, and a few good Ripkens, and I put your cap in the good category. I am 100% confident in your Ripken.

One of the size 7 1/4 caps I had was his All Star game cap which I had him sign and verify at the Cleveland National some years ago. He confirmed during our conversation that he did indeed wear the size. ……
Best Regards,

Troy

Troy R. Kinunen
MEARS Authentication - MEARS Auctions
1234 Manitoba Ave.
South Milwaukee, WI 53172

allstarsplus
09-06-2010, 08:15 AM

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199604190TEX

That's incredible. Texas Rangers scored 16 runs in the 8th inning and won the game against the Orioles 26-7. Billy Ripken pinch-hit in the game and of course Cal was still working on his streak!

What a dreadful ending to the game if you are Orioles. Orosco comes in relief and gives up 8 runs in that 8th inning!

allstarsplus
09-06-2010, 08:58 AM
For those interested, these were Troy at MEARS comments:
When it comes to the Ripken cap in question, I remember the cap. I have several caps in my personal collection, both from impeccalbe sources, one of each size, 7 1/4, 7 3/8.
Remember, a size 7 1/4 cap is also a size 7 2/8's. So the difference is only 1/8, and not enough for us to reject the cap due to size. In additon, we inspected the formation of the 8 in the brim, and was very comfortable with it. I have seen dozens of fakes, and a few good Ripkens, and I put your cap in the good category. I am 100% confident in your Ripken. One of the size 7 1/4 caps I had was his All Star game cap which I had him sign and verify at the Cleveland National some years ago. He confirmed during our conversation that he did indeed wear the size. ……[/font]
Troy[/font]

Troy R. Kinunen
MEARS Authentication - MEARS Auctions
1234 Manitoba Ave.
South Milwaukee, WI 53172

Sure, that sizing is within the realm of sizing but this is from the latter part of Cal's career, possibly 1997.

What year did he wear a size 7 1/4 in an All Star game that Troy eluded to? I know he wore 7 1/4 early in his career. If that All Star cap was from the 1990's then that is significant, but regardless, the only thing that ties this cap to Cal is he wore #8 in 1997 which is written on the brim of the cap. If I was looking at this particular cap, the only positive sign is the formation of the #8 in the brim, but that doesn't take a lot of skill to replicate that #8 in black Sharpie.

Also, what is up with 7 2/8 as we know the progression is 7 1/4 to 7 3/8. Is that a lesson in fractions?

I have seen dozens of fakes, and a few good Ripkens, and I put your cap in the good category. I am 100% confident in your Ripken.

Dozens of fakes? How can someone be 100% confident in a cap that only ties it to Cal by that #8?

I went to one of the Baltimore/Washington's best sources on Orioles and Ripken and got the following response on the cap:

I'd have to fall back to my standard "Ripken rule": assume it's fake then work to prove otherwise...