PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Gregg Jersey in Leland's

jdr3
07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
No offense to Leland's or Forrest Gregg, but I am almost certain there is no way this is one of his gamers. The tag style on the jersey was not used by Sand Knit until circa 1980, about a decade after he left the game. I am not saying Leland's or Gregg are trying to dupe anybody, but this just does fit the tagging criteria for Gregg's era.

http://lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1783&auctionid=605

Eric
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Please contact Lelands and let us know what they say
Eric

gwh11
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes, this jersey was most certainly manufactured in the early '80s. The jersey was most likely an "extra" lettered with Gregg's name and given to him when he began coaching the Packers in '84. Gregg's recollection of this jersey is misguided. I've emailed Lelands about this.
Guy

trsent
07-27-2006, 10:29 AM
No offense to Leland's or Forrest Gregg, but I am almost certain there is no way this is one of his gamers. The tag style on the jersey was not used by Sand Knit until circa 1980, about a decade after he left the game. I am not saying Leland's or Gregg are trying to dupe anybody, but this just does fit the tagging criteria for Gregg's era.

http://lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1783&auctionid=605

What did Leland's say when you emailed them about your concern?

The auction description does state the jersey comes with a LOA from Forrest Gregg, but the LOA is not pictured. Maybe they can email you a copy of the LOA and you can post it here?

gwh11
07-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know if jdr3 has emailed them, but I did. Haven't heard back yet. Regarding the LOA: There may be a chance that it was misread by Lelands and that it doesn't specifically state that it was game used by Gregg, but I would guess that it's just another case of an athlete's recollection being a bit "hazy" concerning a piece of memorabilia he had in his house.
Guy

both-teams-played-hard
07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
It seems Leland's would do 30 seconds of research before taking the time to list this on their website. No matter what Forest Gregg says, wrote or recollects...It is against the laws of physics and the rules of the Time Space Continuim that this jersey was worn in a game by Forest Gregg. Period.

trsent
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
It seems Leland's would do 30 seconds of research before taking the time to list this on their website. No matter what Forest Gregg says, wrote or recollects...It is against the laws of physics and the rules of the Time Space Continuim that this jersey was worn in a game by Forest Gregg. Period.

Could he have worn it for an on field appearance at Lambeau to induct him into the Ring of Honor or whatever they call it up there?

gwh11
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Close, but here's a more plausible scenario: I suspect that this jersey was made for Gregg for a special reunion of Super Bowl I Packers in 1984. Before a home game against the Chargers on October 7, 1984, the members of that Super Bowl team were introduced on the field wearing replicas of their Packers jerseys. Photos of this event can be found on pages 18-20 of the 1985 Packers yearbook. Although Gregg isn't pictured (only some of the team are in the photos), you can clearly see this exact style of Sand-Knit tagging on one of the jerseys that one of the former players is wearing. I've sent Lelands this info as well.
Guy

trsent
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Great work, let's see what Lelands does.

Mike Heffner
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Sorry for the delay guys but we have been busy at the National. I am going to pull the jersey from this auction and relist it with the correct information provided in the December auction. Thanks for all the info and it was my mistake.

Mike Heffner

both-teams-played-hard
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry for the delay guys but we have been busy at the National. I am going to pull the jersey from this auction and relist it with the correct information provided in the December auction. Thanks for all the info and it was my mistake.

Mike Heffner

Mike
Thanks for taking this forum seriously! I applaud your response to the Forrest Gregg issue, as well as the Pete Rose jacket. I'm glad to know that Leland's wants to do the right thing...