PDA

View Full Version : Barkley 76ers Jersey - eBay

otismalibu
08-28-2010, 12:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARLES-BARKLEY-GAME-USED-76ERS-1986-87-JERSEY-/170533196232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b49211c8

In my opinion, this is nothing more than a poorly customized blank or scrub (stripped) jersey.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Bark34_front.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Bark34_back.jpg

sox83cubs84
08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
You've got my agreement, OM. Numeric fonts and NOB seem to both be msimatched against the gamer.

Dave Miedema

lakeerie92
08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Isn't the seller a regular contributor in the forum?

33bird
08-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I'll pull it until I find out more about it. Not a 76ers expert at all, but thought it was good. Thanks guys.

otismalibu
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, the jersey itself is good. In the proper lighting you might be able to see if it was ever attributed to another player. May have simply been a blank.

Not really up on exactly what sizes Barkley wore each year, but size 46 seems a little small to me. For comparison, I bought a Pete Myers Sixers Sand-Knit jersey (from a couple seasons later) and it was a size 44. I think Chuck had Pete by a good 60 lbs.

FWIW, the late 80s Sixers Barkley jerseys I've seen that seem to match up with game photos, have been size 50.

Anyone ever see a Wilson Sixers (home or road) Barkley from either his rookie or 2nd year in the league? I think I know why they are rare creatures. :)

33bird
08-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info Greg. I better stick to Celtics stuff!

33bird
08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
If Doc was wearing a size 40 in 86-87 I figured CB could be wearing a 46. They wore them a lot tighter in the mid 80s..

33bird
08-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Otis-checked it out closely and don't see any alterations or changes at all. If someone wants to buy it, and it doesn't pass mears or grey flannel inspection, I will refund 100%.

otismalibu
08-28-2010, 07:52 PM
If Doc was wearing a size 40 in 86-87 I figured CB could be wearing a 46. They wore them a lot tighter in the mid 80s..It's possible.

Otis-checked it out closely and don't see any alterations or changes at all. If someone wants to buy it, and it doesn't pass mears or grey flannel inspection, I will refund 100%.Then I'd expect their research to include a game photo that matches the numbering and NOB, seeing both of those are off the mark.

Unless you consider a Mears A5 a pass?

And here's a Barkley that GFC sold on their website a few years back. So, yeah, I have no doubts they'd pass yours.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/4-11Barkley1.jpg

33bird
08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
What to do..what to do..
Thanks.

otismalibu
08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm sure I've seen your Barkley jersey before...but where?

bushwickbill
08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm sure I've seen your Barkley jersey before...but where?

Apparently the pics aren't even the sellers. :rolleyes:

http://www.jerseycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7057&sid=11e6ee68aecc3e0050a30064478264b4

otismalibu
08-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Months ago, I actually emailed lakermaniac1971 (via JC) and asked him about the Lakers #44 jersey that is seen behind the Barkley. It was in the background of a different photo he had posted over there. I asked him if it was a Lakers prototype that had been sold on eBay a few years back.

So whose pics are these?

First guy to post a pic of the West jersey, upside down, with my user name written on a piece of paper (right side up) will be awarded the A5 trophy. Go.

jtorrez
08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
***cricket***cricket***

LOL@ this guy making 2 posts since the question was asked about the photos and ignoring this post. If the pictures on the listing belong to someone else, how did he inspect this jersey to answer Otis' questions? What jersey was he inspecting the one that belongs to Lakermaniac or the one he is trying to sell? A better question is where are the pictures of the jersey he is actually trying to sell?? Unless he bought the jersey from that guy on JerseyCentral he has some explaining to do.

http://iphonasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lucy_1-full.jpg

mdube16
08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Easy boys. Greg has been nothing but a great resource here and a high quality collector. He pulled the auction right after it was questioned here which he really didnt need to do. He also offered a refund to anyone who bought it if it didnt pass a 3rd party authentication from 2 of the better ones in the hobby.
The photos he is using apparently are from the person he bought the jersey from....which IMO is not an issue. The guy complains about the photos being used and makes no mention of the fact that the jersey he sold is being questioned. There seems to be a bit of pot stirring going on here.

otismalibu
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Easy boys. Greg has been nothing but a great resource here and a high quality collector.Actually, I'd classify him more as a dealer that poses as a collector and uses this board to help maximize profits. His "pickups" are usually "classifieds" that show up closer to the top of the page. :)

I'm sure for some he's a great resource. I'm also sure that some folks might find the following a little shady.

Buy as game issued, but then find light use and sell as game used.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23248&highlight=shoes

Buy game issued jersey off board...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=36728&highlight=chris+paul

Find light use and sell as game used on eBay.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=36728&highlight=chris+paul

And the Barkley jersey we've been discussing has light use as well.

Ya gotta admit...this dude has a knack for finding use.

Who sells a 3rd year Barkley gamer on eBay with no reserve in these economic times? This is a guy who had the courage to use AMI, but passed on moving this Barkley jersey in the GFC HOF auction?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that Lakersmaniac and 33Bird were simply trying to...

Oh, never mind.

33bird
08-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Otis has got a lot of time on his hands. I pulled it as soon as I saw complaints-to do more research on it. The guy I bought the Barkley jersey from knew I was using his pictures in trying to resell it. Not sure why that is a big deal. In fact, he bought the Chris Paul jersey from me. I've never had a complaint on ANYTHING I've sold on here or ebay. I've always said if the buyer doesn't believe there is use or is not legit-then return it. The Dr. J shoes-which Otis won't let go-had the same promise and the guy who got them loved them. Get a life Otis. This is why so many people run away from this forum-like Howard Wolf-or why so many dealers think it's a joke.

jrjj211
08-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Wasn't the jersey bought as a game issued custom to begin with?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230493092119

So how is it now being sold as a Charles Barkley game used?

bushwickbill
08-29-2010, 05:51 PM
WOW

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/Bushwick_Bill/cb34gamer.jpg

bushwickbill
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/Bushwick_Bill/cb34custom.jpg

33bird
08-29-2010, 06:06 PM
He sold as game issued because he didn't know much about it to begin with. Had no paperwork or coas on it. I bought it because I believed it looked like a legit gamer from the mid-80s. Tagging inside and out matched up perfectly with my 86-87 Bird jersey that recieved an A10 grade from Mears. Thought I got a great deal on, what seemed to me, a gamer. I've done this on ebay many times over the years and so have many others. I bought an AD Notre Dame jersey from 1975 on ebay for 250.00 once. Not sold as game used. Well, it was and later was sold for 4k. Many people sell stuff on ebay they don't know much about and we all try and jump on those items. Some times you strike gold and sometimes you get a dud. Even Greg says it's a legit Sixers jersey-he just doesn't think it matches up well with some pics from that season. Whatever, I pulled it when I saw there possibly might be some problems, and it will stay in my collection until I find out more about it. Also, it's not like I'm trying to screw anyone ever. I offer a 7 day refund on every auction and also guarantee it will pass mears or GF or whatever. I would not do that unless I thought the item was legit and would really pass authentication-because if they didn't pass it would cost me a bundle.

33bird
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Also, for my last post on here, I will continue to look for gold among all the crap on ebay, and flip it for a profit. That's fun. If you don't like it, then don't bid. I used the same exact pictures that the sellers used when I bought the items, offered refunds if not completely satisfied, and offered guarantees from the best authenticators or money back. If that's dishonest, then I'm dishonest I guess. I have perfect feedback of 600+ and that will only go up. Honestly, some of you guys that post on here, have got to get lives. I'm going the way of Howard Wolf and some of the other great members we used to have on here. You guys make it personal and offend to easily. You real collectors, you have my email. Take Care!

nickacs
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
WOW... Didn't see this thread till today.. What a nightmare :confused:
I concur with all the points Greg said. So what if he used the same pics as the guy he bought it from? I have bought several Bulls jerseys from Greg in the past year and if I used one of Greg's pics, I doubt he would have any problem with it, since they are of the same exact jerseys I now have. This "Laker" guy on that other forum just has panties in a big wad for no freakin' reason. Get a life bud!

By taking the auction sale down, offering 3rd party authentication and offering full refund, etc looks like a collector that is about 1% of the norm on Ebay or elsewhere. About 90% of the crap on Ebay so-called "game worn" jerseys are complete scams and take people for their money with no reservations about it. Greg could have done the same, but didn't.

For the last about 2yrs I've been on this board, I've seen plenty of threads where people pounce on another member and then later find it was all for nothing and THEY should be the ones to issue an apology for their actions.

Greg, I'm so sorry to see you go, but at least I have your email and will definitely stay in contact with your Celtics stuff :D Good luck my friend...

mdube16
08-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I hate when a guy with an axe to grind chases away good members. As if this thread wasnt started knowing who was selling it. Sigh.

33bird
08-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks bud. Yea, I dont' mind people attacking my stuff sometimes-but nobody likes to be attacked personally. Got an email from Howard Wolf welcoming me to the ex-guu member club with Rudy, Suicide Squeeze, and many other great guys. My email is here and I got most the "quality guys" emails saved so feel free to contact me via email for any info on game used stuff that I could help ya with or for anything else. I'm deleting my GUU on favorites so I won't be checking back. It's been a good run on here but like Howard says, ITS TIME TO MOVE ON!
Take care.

otismalibu
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Otis has got a lot of time on his hands.

I only search eBay for Erving/Sixers hoops items. That's not really a big secret. That's how I found the Erving shoes (way back when) and more recently, the Barkley jersey. When I searched your other recent auctions I saw the Paul jersey which I recognized from this board.

So I've stumbled upon 3 of your auctions in the past what...2-3 years? It just so happens they were all issued pieces that you were selling as gamers. Just coincidence I guess.

sox83cubs84
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Gfeg:

Please reconsider...if someone has an axe to grind, sooner or later that axe will end up doing them damage.

Dave Miedema

wchu9437
02-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Special thanks to Otis for pointing this thread out to me...

It's really disappointing how 33bird / Greg talks out of both sides of his mouth. Offering guarantees / refunds / third party authentication?

Thanks again, Otis! This is very helpful.