PDA

View Full Version : Fan gives Pujols 400th HR ball back for a singed ball

cjw
08-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Thoughts.....

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Missed-it-by-that-much-St-Louis-man-just-misses-Pujols-400th-homerun-ball-101641768.html

earlywynnfan
08-27-2010, 02:13 PM
For a singed ball?? That's odd!;)

Now, for a signed ball, that's admirable.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

cjw
08-27-2010, 02:20 PM
For a singed ball?? That's odd!;)

Now, for a signed ball, that's admirable.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Dohh..wish I could edit typos! :(

CampWest
08-27-2010, 02:24 PM
"and he was given some Washington Nationals gear."

Not sure what all he got, but Albert maybe gave some of his gear to the Nationals player that helped him get the ball back with their gear.

cjw
08-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Not sure what all he got, but Albert maybe gave some of his gear to the Nationals player that helped him get the ball back with their gear.

I imagine the gear was retail stuff...but maybe not?

woody1351
08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
we were talking about this at work. i would want some money first but i would settle for what some other ppl on another thread said combined. the signed jersey from that day saying he wore it on that day, the bat with the same thing on it and batting practice the next day, and from the cards since im a cards fan i would want the ablity to purchase world series and asg tickets when they were played in STL for face value.

spartanservitto
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Simple...

Game used signed bat, the next bat he cracks.

-Tony

ballhawknet
08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
we were talking about this at work. i would want some money first but i would settle for what some other ppl on another thread said combined. the signed jersey from that day saying he wore it on that day, the bat with the same thing on it and batting practice the next day, and from the cards since im a cards fan i would want the ablity to purchase world series and asg tickets when they were played in STL for face value.

I wonder how the negotiations went and how the fan feels today . My first thoughts were , wow what an idiot . Or, I bet the security really put the pressure on him to return it saying it was worthless once he left the park .
I know from personal experience the teams can be nasty about these things and never offer equal value in exchange. But on second thought maybe he was happy just to give it back and money or items in exchange were not that important to him . He seemed real happy about it in the tv interview . At least he didn't throw it back on the field ... lol.

Out of the three -four ideas above , your not getting his game jersey , or that bat. No way no how . And the next time I hear of a player giving cash to a fan will be the first time. Batting practice , yes that could happen and has happened before. Series tickets . or playoff tickets.. thats not so far fetched either.

Anyone have a guess as to what it would sell for at auction ?

BULBUS
08-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Anyone have a guess as to what it would sell for at auction ?

15 to 20K ???????

AWA85
08-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I would have asked for one of his game used bats. I wouldn't push that I got the one that he used to hit the home run, but just a gamer.

Autograph ball..... Pujols made out alright!

lakeerie92
08-27-2010, 04:47 PM

The "gear" is in the photo of him holding the signed ball. It looks like some t shirts still in plastic wrapping.

sox83cubs84
08-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Pujols got off easy in this one. In the long run, though, if the fan is happy with what he got, that's the most important thing.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
08-28-2010, 01:05 PM
In the words of the immortal Cuba Gooding:
"Show me the Nationals gear!"

sox83cubs84
08-28-2010, 03:20 PM
In the words of the immortal Cuba Gooding:
"Show me the Nationals gear!"

+1

Dave Miedema

yankees23657
08-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I remember a story in a magazine (an old beckett maybe) that talked about when AROD hit his 400th homerun. He was prepared to go all out to get the ball back. he had a signed jersey, bat, ball etc waiting in case the fan wanted to negotiate. But in the end, the fan that caught the ball threw the ball back on the field, bc AROD was from the visiting team

joelsabi
08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I remember a story in a magazine (an old beckett maybe) that talked about when AROD hit his 400th homerun. He was prepared to go all out to get the ball back. he had a signed jersey, bat, ball etc waiting in case the fan wanted to negotiate. But in the end, the fan that caught the ball threw the ball back on the field, bc AROD was from the visiting team

The home run was a line drive over the right field fence and was caught by his teammate in the visitors bullpen.

ballhawknet
08-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Its happened a lot at Wrigley of course . Career firsts and major milestones .

Most recently they threw Ivan Rodriguez's 300th back .

In the video link below is what I do for fun when a fan throws one back
from the street.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ballhawknet#p/u/7/dWOzUq-lJGg

you have to fast forward past the batting practice footage to the Kubel HR.

ENJOY

2020mike
08-28-2010, 10:57 PM
As collectors its easy to think about what we could get in return for our own collections or personal gain but to the casual fan who has no interest in the hobby and just loves the game its different. Im sure a lot of people would give it back in exchange for a signed ball like this guy did but as a casual fan they probably have no interest in game used gear.

both-teams-played-hard
08-29-2010, 12:30 AM

from the street.

ENJOY

After watching Ballhawk's videos, I can only come to one conclusion:
America is a great place to live!

joelsabi
08-29-2010, 12:43 AM

from the street.

ENJOY

The look on your friend's face was priceless when you were messing with him. Ballhawks are great and it seems you are tutoring the future ballhawks too. Lots of young kids going after the baseballs.

So if the HR 377 is worth $11.5K to you, what's HR 400 worth to you?

panthrotc
08-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I would first ask for the bat that he hit the HR with or the jersey he wore when he hit it. Both signed and inscribed.

NO WAY in hell im trading it for a signed baseball. If albert did not want to cough up the stuff for the ball, then im puttin that ball in an auction.

I was watching the yankee game that arod hit his 600th and they said on tv arod was willing to give a signed bat, jersey, ball , hat for the ball.

i laughed. All that stuff combined is a joke to what the ball would fetch in auction. Maybe alot of these players think the casual fan does not have the insight into auction houses.

The guy who gave the ball back is a sucker. End of story.

spartanservitto
08-29-2010, 01:34 AM
I agree about the value of a signed ball, bat, hat etc. Its a joke. $1500 top for all that by Pujols and even less for Arod, given a general auction on Ebay or whatever.

I would ask for a game used signed bat period, maybe a home run bat. You know Albert isnt going to care about anything between 400-500, I would gladly take a home run #417 bat (or whatever number in between).

The truth is, a legit game used bat by him is so desirable, that being able to check the doubtless bat off the list would be worth the fetch itself. Thats just my preference I guess. Plus you show, in yourself, that you do love the game of baseball and appreciate what these guys do, without looking like your greedy.

Maybe a game used jersey also, granted the legitimacy of both items would wrap close to $10 K with the appropriate documentation, but it costs albert basically nothing.

-Tony