PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg has a torn ulnar collateral ligament - May Need Tommy John Surgery

tilley72
08-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Breaking News on ESPN, just reported that Strasburg has a torn ulnar collateral ligament. He will likely undergo Tommy John surgery, which will limit or make him miss the entire 2011 season.

AWA85
08-27-2010, 09:52 AM
That is crushing to the Nats team and front office.... wow. Also makes you think when paying thousands for prospects game used items, but that is a different topic.

Wow...

cjw
08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Dibble looks like more of an ass today.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/23/rob-dibble-thinks-stephen-strasburg-should-suck-it-up/

suave1477
08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Crushing to the Nats team and Fron Office??

I would think it's more crushing to the kid. Imagine as being touted as the AROD or Nolan if you prefer of Pitching and now your future is uncertain

suave1477
08-27-2010, 10:24 AM
In case anyone is interested I got a Straburg rookie card im willing to sell for a measly $100k?

Anyone interested.......anyone?

(To the tone of Bueller, Bueller):D

AWA85
08-27-2010, 10:31 AM
I am scared to visit some of the old Strasburg threads talking about items picked up and prices. Out 12-18 months and then pitcher usually is not as sharp coming back right away. See you in 2013 S.S.

Somebody mentioned it on another board, he just gets that much closer to arbitration during his time he is out. Double kick in the guy to the Nats.

kellsox
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Should the way that the Nationals handle their pitchers be called into question with Zimmerman going down last year and Strasburg this year????? Seems to me they may be the LA Clippers of MLB.

yankees506
08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Somehow i knew this would happen, i kept thinking to myself "if he gets hurt everyone is going to be crushed" and bingo, 10k for a signed gu ball dont look so good.

legaleagle92481
08-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Who is surprised? This is the rule not the exception. Its not the Nats fault it is just the nature of pitching. Some guys are just naturally durable like Maddux, CC Sabathia and Glavine. Those guys pitched year after year without getting major injuries.

Dewey2007
08-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for coming Strasburg...I hope he makes it back but he will definitely not be the same pitcher. To bad for the Nats. Hopefully Bryce Harper proves more durable.

Although on a lesser scale the A's have a promising young Latin pitcher who got a nice chunk of change too that is having the same surgery.

Dach0sen0ne
08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
After all my work to get a San Diego State 1st career No-hitter ticket for my ticket collection. I hope he makes out OK, don't like to see anyone hurt.

sportscrazy13
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I think it's crushing news for all of baseball. This kid was a huge bright star now and for the future of the league. I was recently back in the states for a few weeks last month and the one thing I really wanted to do was see this kid pitch. Unfortunately I didn't get to the short time I was back.

Hopefully everything works out for him.

xpress34
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Who is surprised? This is the rule not the exception. Its not the Nats fault it is just the nature of pitching. Some guys are just naturally durable like Maddux, CC Sabathia and Glavine. Those guys pitched year after year without getting major injuries.

I said it before and I'll say it again... blame the Nats and MLB for pimping this kid out and not giving him full development time through the minors - I don't care how over powering he might have been down there.

This is the list I ran before and it bears repeating here - David Clyde, Brien Taylor, Todd Van Poppel, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, etc, etc

All in the name of the almighty $$$ for MLB and the Nats - I mean they were pimping out everything they could game used or signed by him... I was seriously surprised that MLB didn't push Charlie Manuel to put him on the All Star team so they could pimp him out some more and sell more stuff...

My .02

- Chris

Mark17
08-27-2010, 02:50 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again... blame the Nats and MLB for pimping this kid out and not giving him full development time through the minors - I don't care how over powering he might have been down there.

This is the list I ran before and it bears repeating here - David Clyde, Brien Taylor, Todd Van Poppel, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, etc, etc

All in the name of the almighty $$$ for MLB and the Nats - I mean they were pimping out everything they could game used or signed by him... I was seriously surprised that MLB didn't push Charlie Manuel to put him on the All Star team so they could pimp him out some more and sell more stuff...

My .02

- Chris

How would pitching in the minors have been less stressful on his arm than pitching in the majors? Seems to me, in the majors he had access to better everything, better team doctors, trainers, coaches, travel and room accomodations, etc.

Pitching a baseball hard, with various grips and spins, repeatedly, is not a natural motion for a person's arm. It shouldn't be surprising that a certain percentage of pitchers develop problems. But when it happens to a guy in the spotlight, I suppose it's natural tendency to find someone to blame.

Injuries happen. That's my opinion.

xpress34
08-27-2010, 07:42 PM
How would pitching in the minors have been less stressful on his arm than pitching in the majors? Seems to me, in the majors he had access to better everything, better team doctors, trainers, coaches, travel and room accomodations, etc.

Pitching a baseball hard, with various grips and spins, repeatedly, is not a natural motion for a person's arm. It shouldn't be surprising that a certain percentage of pitchers develop problems. But when it happens to a guy in the spotlight, I suppose it's natural tendency to find someone to blame.

Injuries happen. That's my opinion.

My point being that in the minors, players are generally 'tiered' to the next step and the pressure to perform and impress (while still big) are not nearly the same as being moved to the Big Show where the expectations are way above and beyond the MiLB level. Add to that MLB and the Nats pimping out everything they could and touting this kid as the next big thing and I'm pretty certain (as impressive as he was) that he was pressing and pushing himself harder than he might have if he was on a 'program track' to the majors rather than the 'bullet train' train.

You hear about guys being on the fast track and that normally means only a year or two in the minors, not 3 months.

Again, my .02 (and I agree that injuries happen) but I think if they had tracked /tiered him rather than shoving him through the various stages, he might be looking to make his debut and be pitching in 2011.

All the best -

Chris

sox83cubs84
08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's hoping the kid heals up and, if no longer a superstar, can at least put together a solid and respectable MLB career.

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
08-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Excellent, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that.

__________________________________________________ _______
Come visit the author latest websites on cheap jerseys (http://www.jerseysusa.com) and cheap nfl jerseys (http://www.jerseysusa.com) .you can get what you want.

Read this guy's post on here and other threads does it seem to anyone else that this guy is some kind of a robot. His posts have no relation to the quoted post.