PDA

View Full Version : Are Date Wheels still being used on Batting Helmets?

camarokids
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi,
Are date wheels still being used on batting helmets? If so, are they used on the new style too, CoolFlo?

tigerdale
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I dont believe the date wheels are being used anymore, the new cool flos have a date actually behind the MLB sticker on the back of the helmet...you can peel the sticker down carefully to see it.

tilley72
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Dave,

I do not believe Rawlings is still using the dating pinwheel for their helmets. I have a few helmets, which have a date stamp, which appears either beneath or right above where the MLB logo appears on the back of most helmets. The earliest helmet that I believe I have that is like this is from 2007. I will try to post photos, so you can see what I'm talking about tomorrow.

-Andrew

tigerdale
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I guess I shoud add this info is for tiger helmets...they had date wheels up to 2006 when they still wore the old style...in 2007 they went to cool flo & thats when the date changed places...not sure for other teams which may wear the old styles...

camarokids
08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Awesome! Thank you for the info!

I just talked to the seller of a helmet I am looking at and he found the date on the back.

So this confirms his findings!

CampWest
08-26-2010, 12:39 PM
How do you decipher the date wheel?

Is it as simple as the arrow points at the month of manufacture and the two numbers on either side of the arrow are the year... so in the first picture on this thread its October 1997?

Thanks

tigerdale
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
How do you decipher the date wheel?

Is it as simple as the arrow points at the month of manufacture and the two numbers on either side of the arrow are the year... so in the first picture on this thread its October 1997?

Thanks
yep, thats how I have been doing it...

camarokids
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Mods, can one of you please fix the typo in the title? should be "Date Wheels".

Thanks

zybu_s
08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a Brewers helmet which I believe is either Tony Gwynn's or possibly Jody Gerut. The MLB logo is so tight, I'm afraid it would look awful if I pulled it off. Any other ideas how to determine the date or is peeling the label the only way?

Thanks in advance.

camarokids
08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a Brewers helmet which I believe is either Tony Gwynn's or possibly Jody Gerut. The MLB logo is so tight, I'm afraid it would look awful if I pulled it off. Any other ideas how to determine the date or is peeling the label the only way?

Thanks in advance.

Post pics of the helmet, that would be a start for everyone to try and help you.

zybu_s
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Post pics of the helmet, that would be a start for everyone to try and help you.

I took a chance and got a corner loose enough to pull back the label. The date stamp was 112005.

I'll try and post a pic later.

Thanks everyone.
Joe

zybu_s
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Here are the pictures of the date stamp that was behind the MLB logo.

joelsabi
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Here are the pictures of the date stamp that was behind the MLB logo.

very good information. so its underneith the mlb sticker right?
were you able to restick the mlb logo sticker without any problems?

also, does any one know when what year this system replace the date wheel?

zybu_s
08-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Here you go.

zybu_s
08-30-2010, 08:32 PM
very good information. so its underneith the mlb sticker right?
were you able to restick the mlb logo sticker without any problems?

also, does any one know when what year this system replace the date wheel?

Yes, the sticker went back perfectly.