PDA

View Full Version : Just got orders to St. Louis...

murfsteve25
08-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Leaving Japan and moving to Scott AFB just outside St Louis...anyone from the area? :D

otismalibu
08-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Just give yourself some time to adjust to the language. It's similar to English, so you'll probably be able to pick out the odd word. Good luck!

murfsteve25
08-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Just give yourself some time to adjust to the language. It's similar to English, so you'll probably be able to pick out the odd word. Good luck!

haha thanks for the tip

Dach0sen0ne
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Leaving Japan and moving to Scott AFB just outside St Louis...anyone from the area? :D

Well, I'm sure anything has to be better then Minot AFB. Good luck with the PCS.

70to66
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm a 100 miles north of St. Lou.

murfsteve25
08-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Well, I'm sure anything has to be better then Minot AFB. Good luck with the PCS.

I heard Minot is the worst base in the AF.

murfsteve25
08-27-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm a 100 miles north of St. Lou.

Cant wait to get back to the states. while looking on google earth, it looks like the area around Scott is nothing but country.

otismalibu
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Cant wait to get back to the states. while looking on google earth, it looks like the area around Scott is nothing but country.

Plenty o' corn fields in the area still, but the sprawl has moved in. You'll find many of the standard suburbia offerings, close at hand.

Here's the local paper. Study up, there will be a quiz when you arrive.

http://www.bnd.com/

sportscrazy13
08-27-2010, 12:59 PM
I grew up about 30 mins down the road from Scott AFB. You are correct nothing but corn fields and farm land. I use to joke with people and say that's where the old scary movie Children of the Corn came from.

The area around there has built up in the last 10 years. And you got St Louis a few mins up I-64.

murfsteve25
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
otismalibu - thanks for the link. That will give me a head start on checking out the area.

sportscrazy - i am very excited to be so close to Stl... ill be catching a lot of Cards games next season. I'm not a big fan of corn fields, especially driving through them at night so dont get me started with all the spooky stuff haha

Birdbats
08-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I live in O'Fallon, just minutes from Scott AFB. Many of my neighbors work on the base. It's actually a great area, and just 20 minutes from Busch. If you're looking for a place to live, let me know -- I can give you the scoop on the area.

murfsteve25
08-29-2010, 06:19 AM
I live in O'Fallon, just minutes from Scott AFB. Many of my neighbors work on the base. It's actually a great area, and just 20 minutes from Busch. If you're looking for a place to live, let me know -- I can give you the scoop on the area.

Wow thats weird, because I have actually been looking for apartments in O'Fallon. My supervisor is from the area and said that O'Fallon is a great area to live. I'm having a hard time looking online though. Would you know any decent websites that would help my search out? Currently im just jumping on apartments.com or rent.com and searching on there, but havent been able to find much.

otismalibu
08-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Murf,

You private messages are shut off.

Shoot your email to Birdbats & myself. I live right next to O'Fallon. I can ask around about apartments in the area. What's your preferred background noise for sleeping? Silence? Trains? Gunfire? :D

murfsteve25
08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Murf,

You private messages are shut off.

Shoot your email to Birdbats & myself. I live right next to O'Fallon. I can ask around about apartments in the area. What's your preferred background noise for sleeping? Silence? Trains? Gunfire? :D

lmao well i've about had it with the gunfire...let's change it up and go with silence. On a serious note though, I've got a wife and 2 small kids so I'm looking for the best neighborhood possible.

im at work right now so my email here is steven.murphy@kadena.af.mil and my home address is murfsteve25@yahoo.com i appreciate the help!

sportscrazy13
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I've got some friends that have lived in the O'fallon/Fairview Heights area for years and they like it. O'fallon is probably your best bet plus it's close to base.

You definately should check out as many Cardinal games as possible. I don't know if you're a hockey fan but Blues tickets are fairly cheap.

Birdbats
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't know much about apartments in the area. There are some nicer, newer ones near I-64 at exit 16, which is an easy drive to Scott. Some are in O'Fallon, some are in Shiloh. You might want to consider renting a house instead. Lots of vacant homes for sale around here that also have "leasing" signs in front of them. Will you actually get to visit the area and look around before you have to make a decision? BTW, if you have kids, O'Fallon's schools are the best in the area.

murfsteve25
08-29-2010, 03:50 PM
[quote=Birdbats;215313]Will you actually get to visit the area and look around before you have to make a decision?quote]

once i arrive at Scott, ill be put up in a hotel for about 2 weeks. during which time i'll be in search for a place to reside. i should probably quit stressing over it and just check everything out once i get there.

kj33706
09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
i live right by scott air force base, i live in glen carbon. email me at kj33706@yahoo.com

murfsteve25
01-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Hey Hey!

Just arrived at Scott AFB yesterday. I like this place, feels good to be back in America. Decided to just live on base (cant beat free housing). I move in tomorrow, it's actually a really nice house. I've been driving around the area since I've been here. There is absolutely nothing around the base itself but heading west on I-64 are some nice shopping centers and a pretty nice mall. I got bored this afternoon and drove over to Busch stadium. Niiiiice!

dcgreg25
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey Hey!

Just arrived at Scott AFB yesterday. I like this place, feels good to be back in America. Decided to just live on base (cant beat free housing). I move in tomorrow, it's actually a really nice house. I've been driving around the area since I've been here. There is absolutely nothing around the base itself but heading west on I-64 are some nice shopping centers and a pretty nice mall. I got bored this afternoon and drove over to Busch stadium. Niiiiice!

Welcome home!

xpress34
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Welcome home!

+1...

Just an FYI - my parents use to live in St Charles and I visited them in the St Louis area quite a few times... unless things have changed dramatically, be aware if you are ever heading towards or into East St Louis.

- Smitty

nt_eagle
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
As Clark Griswold said: "Roll 'em up!" :D

otismalibu
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Title Town.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/11/st_louis_named_most_dangerous_city_2010.php

murfsteve25
01-20-2011, 10:25 PM
+1...Just an FYI - my parents use to live in St Charles and I visited them in the St Louis area quite a few times... unless things have changed dramatically, be aware if you are ever heading towards or into East St Louis.

yea ive heard a lot about how dangerous st louis is. needless to say i wont be traveling there at night, but i cant wait until the baseball season starts.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I didnt realize how much i have taken this country and what we have for granted.

Rboitano
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
St Louis isn't as bad as they make it seem, sure the are some neighborhoods you do not want to be in. I have a hard time believing that this city is the most dangerous to be honest with you. Lots of cool places like the city museum, the loop which has several cool restaurants and bars. Soulard is also a fun place, mardi gras is next month.

flota89
01-26-2011, 11:55 PM
St. Louis really isn't bad at all if you ask me. I've been walking around well after midnight more than a few times. I've never witnessed any crime really.
-Tyler

murfsteve25
01-30-2011, 10:54 AM
YA except for the ruff riders gang that were being obnoxious is say the city is pretty nice. My wife and I took a tour of the stadium and went to the top of the arch. It was pretty nice. Matt holiday wastaking no inside the Indoor cage when we walked by.