PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones 2006 GU Jackie Robinson Cap...thoughts?

soxfan
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Just picked this cap up and wanted to see what everyone thought.

It was sold as a 2006 Andruw Jones GU Cap, with the #42 under the brim to commemorate Jackie Robinson Day...before the league gave everyone the option of having it on their jersey's.

After researching, I know Jones was the only on who chose to wear #42 the first year and was the only Atlanta Brave to wear it since Jackie Robinson.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

sox83cubs84
08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, my friend, but if that's an Andrew Jones cap, then Nancy Pelosi is a member of the Tea Party.

The tag in the headband is one New Era used in roughly 1989-93. The lack of an MLB logo on the back of the cap would push it to the first few years of that time frame.

I haven't checked season rosters, but Street & Smith's yearbooks with spring training rosters shows 42 assigned to Steve Avery in 1992PS and Armando Reynoso in 1993ST. This was also several years before teams created BP caps and used them for games in spring training. It's assuredly a legitimate Braves cap, but far too early an issue to be what you have described it as.

Dave Miedema

soxfan
08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the info and any other info to follow would be great.

I wasnt 100% when I bought the cap, and paid a small sum (under $25) so its definetly not a huge loss.

Wouldnt mind finding out if it is an Avery though...I met him when I was a kid at one of my very first ST games with my Dad (he was the first "Big Leaguer" I ever met), so it may turn into a great pick-up after all!

Jeremy

soxfan
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Any other Braves GU experts want to weight in??

Not wanting to challenge anyone, just want som egreat "eduacted" info.

Thanks so much!

Jeremy

vballGuy
08-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I am by no means a Braves expert, but like to think I know a bit about game used caps. I agree with Dave that this is a cap is a late 80s - early 90s cap. However, I believe that the MLB logo starting appearing on caps in 1992. That would mean a 1992 or 1993 cap would be unlikely.

I'd be much more inclined to say that this cap is from 1989 - 1991. That would make it possibly a Rick Mahler (1991), Armando Reynoso (1991), or Steve Avery (1990).

What is the size of the cap? It would be useful to try and find someone with a legitimate Avery gamer to compare cap sizes.

soxfan
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
the cap is size 7 3/8

Thanks

jeremy

suave1477
08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Well just to reiterate what the other members said I agree the tagging is from years ago.

Not to mention even if for some reason this was supposedly a Jones it wouldn't really make sense for him to commerate Jackie Robinson by writing his number under the bill. Because no one else can really see it not to mention if he took off his cap in the locker it wouldnt have his (Jones) true number on it.

legaleagle92481
08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Gu caps are the single hardest item to collect. You cant photomatch them by looking at them you can't tell who wore them and the number means nothing anyone could take an unused cap lying around the lockerroom and put a number in it wear it ahile so it looks used and then sell it as x player's cap. I don't think caps are only worn for one game so why would he put 42 in it? $25 for a cap ain't bad though somebody used it and thats close to what a new one goes for.

sox83cubs84
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Well just to reiterate what the other members said I agree the tagging is from years ago.

Not to mention even if for some reason this was supposedly a Jones it wouldn't really make sense for him to commerate Jackie Robinson by writing his number under the bill. Because no one else can really see it not to mention if he took off his cap in the locker it wouldnt have his (Jones) true number on it.

Good point, Suave...unlike his jersey, the fans don't see the number on his cap, so why create a new one for just one game?

Dave Miedema