PDA

View Full Version : New here- Need advice on Dream Team worn item

CelticSeahawk
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
I have a pair of Clyde Drexler game used shoes that he wore in the Olympics when he was a part of the 92 Dream Team. They are Avia Arc 911 signed in ballpoint pen on both shoes. I have photo and video matched them, including the gold medal game.

They have been in my hope chest since September of 1992. My daughter's Godfather played with the Blazers for a couple of seasons. He was in town doing promo work for the team with Clyde and other former and current players at the time, When he learned of my daughter's birth.
Clyde gave them to him to give to us.

Originally I thought that they were shoes from the finals against Chicago. Recently while going through my old things, I found them and then learned that they were worn by Clyde in the Olympics. Explains the red, white and blue soles.

I truly believe that these shoes deserve a better place than my hope chest or our safe.

So, My questions to you the experts, passionate collectors are this:

1) If I were to sell them to a collector who would no doubt appreciate them more. What is the best way? Private seller, Auction House or Ebay?

2) How can I prove that they are authentic even though I am 100% sure that they are?

3) How do I know what price to put on them?

Some background info. My family had Blazer season tickets from 1975-1988. When players were very accessible. When the team held parties for season ticket holders to mingle with the players. We made friends with many of them. I had a lot of very big brothers growing up. My mom kept several of the young underpaid players from those early years fed and in clean clothes. :)
I have many autographs and memorabilia from those times. Yet, I am in no means a collector. These items are just reminders of a wonderful childhood.

I emailed a senior member of this board but have yet to hear back. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

legaleagle92481
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I have a pair of Clyde Drexler game used shoes that he wore in the Olympics when he was a part of the 92 Dream Team. They are Avia Arc 911 signed in ballpoint pen on both shoes. I have photo and video matched them, including the gold medal game.

They have been in my hope chest since September of 1992. My daughter's Godfather played with the Blazers for a couple of seasons. He was in town doing promo work for the team with Clyde and other former and current players at the time, When he learned of my daughter's birth.
Clyde gave them to him to give to us.

Originally I thought that they were shoes from the finals against Chicago. Recently while going through my old things, I found them and then learned that they were worn by Clyde in the Olympics. Explains the red, white and blue soles.

I truly believe that these shoes deserve a better place than my hope chest or our safe.

So, My questions to you the experts, passionate collectors are this:

1) If I were to sell them to a collector who would no doubt appreciate them more. What is the best way? Private seller, Auction House or Ebay?

2) How can I prove that they are authentic even though I am 100% sure that they are?

3) How do I know what price to put on them?

Some background info. My family had Blazer season tickets from 1975-1988. When players were very accessible. When the team held parties for season ticket holders to mingle with the players. We made friends with many of them. I had a lot of very big brothers growing up. My mom kept several of the young underpaid players from those early years fed and in clean clothes. :)
I have many autographs and memorabilia from those times. Yet, I am in no means a collector. These items are just reminders of a wonderful childhood.

I emailed a senior member of this board but have yet to hear back. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Who is your daughter's godfather? Now onto your questions:

1. Private sale you don't have to pay the fees/commissions that Ebay and the Auction houses charge but on the other hand you have less exposure and less potential buyers. I know I have bought items on Ebay or at auctions that I was not specfically looking for because it caught my eye and I am sure alot of others feel the same way. So my question to you is do you think if you auction the items you could get over 20% more than you could get privately? If the answer is no sell them privately if you can. The 20% figure represents the amount of fees the average auction house or Ebay roughly charges.

2. You cannot prove they are authentic defintely. The best you can do is video and photo match them. If you could get a letter from the guy who gave them to you that would help as well. A company like Mears for a fee would be able to give you an expert opinion on them which would help as well.

3. As far as price that is a tough call. An auction house would appraise it for you and give you an estimate as to what they think it would bring. Otherwise you could do your own research as to what similar items have sold for or just see what people offer for them.

ChrisCavalier
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello CelticSeahawk,

Welcome to the site. I just sent you an email. Please let me know if you received it.

Sincerely,
Chris

sox83cubs84
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
C/S:

Welcome aboard...hope to see you posting more in the future.

Dave Miedema

otismalibu
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I have photo and video matched them, including the gold medal game.

Photo matched or style matched?

Photo matched means you have concrete visual evidence that these are the exact pair of shoes he is wearing in the photo/video.

Style matched means the same type/style of shoe, but no way to know if they are the exact same shoes.

Obviously, a truly photo matched pair of shoes from the gold medal game would fetch more than style matched shoes that may have been worn in a game, practice, etc.

CelticSeahawk
08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you so much for the welcome and the advice. You guys sure are knowledgeable where I am not.
As for photo matched vs style matched. I know that these are game used shoes. When I was given them I was told that they were part of a historic game. I did not even consider the Olympics. That is a major gift! Whether this style was offered to the public. I do not believe so. I cannot find record of this style anywhere. They have USA colors on the soles but a black Avia logo.

At this point I think it may be easier to find Mr. Drexler himself and ask him to authenticate the shoes. Unfortunately I found the shoes after he was in town for Brian Grant's Parkinson's benefit golf tournament. For he splits his time between Portland and Houston.

Thanks again you guys are awesome and highly entertaining. :)

otismalibu
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
As for photo matched vs style matched. I know that these are game used shoes. When I was given them I was told that they were part of a historic game. I did not even consider the Olympics. That is a major gift! Whether this style was offered to the public. I do not believe so. I cannot find record of this style anywhere. They have USA colors on the soles but a black Avia logo.

I don't doubt they were worn by Clyde and I'm not implying they might be retail.

I doubt Avia made a single pair for Clyde to wear in the Olympics. He was probably given a few pairs. So, if you sell them as photo matched, don't be surprised if potential buyers want to see the visual evidence that proves they are the exact pair from said game. Like a matching scuff in the exact same location.

It's very difficult to photo match shoes, unless you have access to high resolution pics. Just can't see enough details in normal.

If you can get Clyde to write a letter, you're golden. Collectors love COAs.

nycpropain
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

I dont want to come off as johnny rain on the parade but you honestly know nothing but what was told to you. Can they be real sure but in the same right the can equally be game issued or something less even. Also you are going by what someone said who you cant have back your story which kills the provenance of this item which in some collectors eyes may appear to be a red flag.

I know if someone is using a godfather as provenance I would expect some official paperwork from them and since they played pro ball that would cement its legitimacy. But as of right now you have a cool item and a cool story nothing more.

Maybe if you post some pictures of these shoes someone here can help you photomatch which isnt very easy with shoes, so more than likely you AT most will have a style match which is pretty good.