PDA

View Full Version : BMH: George Brett T85 bat

TNTtoys
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Brian,

Would you happen to know when George Brett ordered two-tone T85s, from 1980-1983? From what I can tell, he used a natural finish on his bats most of the time, but this one I have come across has me a bit perplexed. It is a professional model "two tone" bat: dark brown on the barrel, and a lighter brown on the knob. The bat has 1980-1983 labeling (the extra large letters / numbers on the centerbrand) and is a signature model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

MSpecht
08-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Nick--- A review of Brett's personal H & B records documents that over 98% of his T85 orders during the 1980-83 label period were for Unfinished bats (very consistent at 34.5 inches and 32 ounces) with only a few orders for Natural Finish. There is no documentation for any other finishes, including the finish you describe (likely a Walker Finish.) Note that there may be a small gap in his records between 6/2/81 and 7/24/81, during the period when H & B was changing from hand-kept order cards to computerized order records.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

TNTtoys
08-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Nick--- A review of Brett's personal H & B records documents that over 98% of his T85 orders during the 1980-83 label period were for Unfinished bats (very consistent at 34.5 inches and 32 ounces0 with only a few orders for Natural Finish. There is no documentation for any other finishes, including the finish you describe (likely a Walker Finish.) Note that there may be a small gap in his records between 6/2/81 and 7/24/81, during the period when H & B was changing from hand-kept order cards to computerized order records.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Mike,

My mistake. I did mean unfinished...don't know why I put down "natural."

So, if I read this correctly, there might not be enough information on record to determine when this bat is from? Or is it possible that H&B could shine new light on this -- possibly from having other records?

Nick

MSpecht
08-16-2010, 05:53 PM
The only other records that might shed some light would be the KC team order records, however Brett received so many bats during that period that it is unlikely that there were any in those orders that were specifically for him. . This is one where, since it it not documented in his records, it is necessary to look at individual use characteristics to try to determine if Brett is actually associated with this bat.Start with the specifications, then work your way through his GU characteristics ( http://www.vintagebats.com/feature_page-GeorgeBrett.htm ). Please post a pic if possible.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com