PDA

View Full Version : Fraud Alert: Sportsgamesondemand@gmail.com

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
A few weeks ago i put an wanted ad for nabokov varlamov and bryzgalov game used items. I got a response for a nabokov glove from email address
sportsgamesondemand@gmail.com
made a deal for $425 for a goalie glove, today i recieved a small envelope from canada saying the contents are of course a glove(with tracking of course)
phone number on package is fake, name listed is sammy ahearn but im sure thats fake too. i open the envelope just a letter saying thanks for your purchase take care joe. probably screwed since i bought it outside of ebay. if anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. his paypal is listed as sammy ahearn and his email for that was sammyahearn@gmail.com
beware

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
his paypal info:
sammy ahearn
767 alexander rd
ancaster on l9g 3e7
ontario canada

if anyone on here is from that area please let me know

tigerdale
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I think paypal will still protect you, even outsdie of ebay. I would file a dispute w/ them asap.

Fnazxc0114
08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I had something similar happen a few years ago. Someone cleaned out my account and sent me some random package. Paypal refunded my money. I hope it works out for you. File a dispute.

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
i already filed luckily for me the idiot sent just a very small envelope that obviously nothing could fit in, esp a goalie glove :) im just glad he didnt get me for more money

cliffjmp33
08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Not sure it helps, but did some Google-ing the address...Here is what you'll find when you zoom in.

The house, with the owners in the driveway. The more telling fact, a van on the street with the business of "originalthought.com"

When you go to that site, and select "Contact Us", here is what you get:

Sean R. Ahearn
To contact us:
Original Thought Inc.
767 Alexander Road,
Ancaster, ON
L9G-3E7
Phone: 905-304-3861 ( 9am to 5pm ET)

Not sure that helps, but seems to be at least a connection to say the least.

legaleagle92481
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
How did you pay via Paypal? Was it with a credit card? If so call your credit card company they will protect you in this type of situation. In general always use a credit card when buying online.

joelsabi
08-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure it helps, but did some Google-ing the address...Here is what you'll find when you zoom in.

The house, with the owners in the driveway. The more telling fact, a van on the street with the business of "originalthought.com"

Sean R. Ahearn
To contact us:
Original Thought Inc.
767 Alexander Road,
Ancaster, ON
L9G-3E7

Wow. Thats a CSI moment.

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
i had the money in my paypal account, so it wasnt thru a card or anything so i only have them to help out. i wanna verify thru paypal his information before i start blasting them. im sure ill call the authorities in his area just to be a pain in the ass. he has probably done it to more than one person

cohibasmoker
08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
How did you pay via Paypal? Was it with a credit card? If so call your credit card company they will protect you in this type of situation. In general always use a credit card when buying online.

I think we should ALL stay in tune to this thread because it is my understanding that if you purchase an item online with PayPal and you use your "PayPal Balance", (NOT YOUR CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT) your purchase is NOT protected.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

BULBUS
08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I think we should ALL stay in tune to this thread because it is my understanding that if you purchase an item online with PayPal and you use your "PayPal Balance", (NOT YOUR CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT) your purchase is NOT protected.

I always wondered this too.

Also, because I'm not sure of this, I always transfer money to my checking right away and use my credit card. This way too, Paypal has to pay the credit card fees when I make a purchase :p

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=37028
thats the original post looking for items, so he must be a member here to have gotten my email address because i didnt list it in the ad. so my guess is he may be running more than one scam. in his first email he asked if i had paypal and hes from canada

Dach0sen0ne
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Sean R. Ahearn
To contact us:
Original Thought Inc.
767 Alexander Road,
Ancaster, ON
L9G-3E7

You are definitely my idol, that was some unbelievable use of the internet. Just goes to show you, everything is on the internet.

justinbittner220
08-13-2010, 03:36 PM
First off, I'm sorry for the scam. If you need anything, I don't really know what, but I'll help you in any way possible.

Secondly, I am beyond impressed that whoever it was got all that CSI information.

On a positive note, I still really think we need a BIG sticky thread of every member and email address that does shady business like this, as long as it is verifiable and not just assumed.

capitalssticks
08-13-2010, 05:03 PM
lol i just got off the phone with paypal, this guy was a total idiot. once its all wrapped up ill keep everyone informed.

AbsolonMoreau
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I am going to be following this as something like this has happened to me. Paypal was NO help to me! What have they told you to do so far?

capitalssticks
08-16-2010, 07:48 AM
final update. the scammer emailed me saying his account had been hacked (which i knew was a lie and it was him all along) and he would contact paypal a day later he disabled his email address. his phone number is fake, the tracking number he used was bogus but because i told paypal i recieved an empty envelope hes in the clear. its up to me to contact the local police dept and econsumer.org to file against him which im going to do. this was a scam from the beginning i have all the proof in the world but paypal protects him? anyway please be careful im sure hes still on this site looking for more victims

Fnazxc0114
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Will paypal refund your money? The guy actually thinks you would believe that somebody would hack his paypal, so they can then hack his g/u account in order to rip people off. How could paypal buy into this crap as well. I hope things work out for you.

solarlottry
08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
the same person emailed me and tried to sell me a Patrick Willis gamer that JO had sold a few years ago. It looked like a scam immediately as i asked for images and the COA # which he could not provide. He sent me a number of paypal requests for payment which i did not send as he could never prove that he actually owned the jersey. He said he got my name and email from GUU. He was very persistent in trying to get me to send the cash but after many email attempts he finally faded away. I guess one has to be on high alert for any kind of deal that seems strange or priced funny. He also gave the name Sammy Ahearn.

capitalssticks
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
both email addresses he used are now no longer valid, but i do have a good address for him and i have 100% proof that he commited mail fraud, i know he thinks ill just go away but hes wrong there